PODCAST Off Course: Episode 14: Is Jack Full of It?

omg why is Dan so angry.

Haha. I was wondering that too. Does he button his Puma shirt all the way up ala Bubba?? haha. I like rules, I think etiquette totally matters. There are ton of things we call all take a breath on. Being hit into is not one of them.

I do have one question though, so you were playing split tee boxes. If you were playing the furthest back box, why were you not teeing off first? It seems the unwritten rule that the tee box depth takes president over honors. Or were you teeing off first but parking the cart a box or two up and walking back? And the group caught up to you before you could tee off.

That was my only question about that incident.

It should, in that the ball has to change as well.

But -- and this is a fair point -- some people are just BETTER at things than others, whether we're a fan of them or not.

Why? Why does the ball have to change?
There seem to be two arguments.

First
Because .1% of golfers hit it very far? and old man par is getting his pleated pants worked up. Easy fix. Water the grass and get rid of par 5s.

Second
Because real estate. I can get into this argument (if it were real), but then we are no longer talking about bifurcation and in fact making a blanket rule for all 25 million golfers based on .1% that hit it too far. When we know for a fact, that the average driving distance in the country is less than 220 yards.

How is @Canadan upset about improper etiquette on the course and golf "stuffiness", while perfectly fine with Bryson Bombs all at the same time?

In this case would control mean more punishing on mishits? And would a 320cc driver impact Bryson significantly? He whacks his 3W like he’s chopping lumber and still bombs it.

With a spinn-ier ball it would need more skill

How is @Canadan upset about improper etiquette on the course and golf "stuffiness", while perfectly fine with Bryson Bombs all at the same time?

I was not aware hitting shorter is proper golf etiquette, but if so, I'm a perfect gentleman.

Why? Why does the ball have to change?
There seem to be two arguments.

First
Because .1% of golfers hit it very far? and old man par is getting his pleated pants worked up. Easy fix. Water the grass and get rid of par 5s.

Second
Because real estate. I can get into this argument (if it were real), but then we are no longer talking about bifurcation and in fact making a blanket rule for all 25 million golfers based on .1% that hit it too far. When we know for a fact, that the average driving distance in the country is less than 220 yards.

Pro golfers no longer have to play courses like architects designed. You don't have to be a worker of the ball anymore. You just need to hit numbers.

Pro golfers no longer have to play courses like architects designed. You don't have to be a worker of the ball anymore. You just need to hit numbers.

When 50-70 yards of roll exist each week you are correct. Grow the rough even half an inch and water the fairways even a tiny bit and much of this goes away.

Two questions for you.
1. Jack released golf balls a few years ago, if he is so adamant about rolling it back, why didn't he do so with his own product?
2, Jack and company are still designing courses, why are they not designing them shorter?

I think we both know the answers to those questions and when the redesigns come, due to the necessity to roll the ball back, who gets called in?

When Jack was the longest golfer on tour and winning tournaments week in and week out...What do you think his response would have been to "I think we need to roll back the ball, because you are overpowering golf courses"

Is it the rollout or the carry that is allowing golfers to anger Jack and force him to plant more trees and dig more bunkers?

I was not aware hitting shorter is proper golf etiquette, but if so, I'm a perfect gentleman.
I guess it depends what some believe to be "sacred" or "appropriate" within the game. Yes, there are unquestionable rules of etiquette that should be followed every time anyone plays the game. But even those have become lax over the years, which isn't a bad thing.

When 50-70 yards of roll exist each week you are correct. Grow the rough even half an inch and water the fairways even a tiny bit and much of this goes away.

Two questions for you.
1. Jack released golf balls a few years ago, if he is so adamant about rolling it back, why didn't he do so with his own product?
2, Jack and company are still designing courses, why are they not designing them shorter?

I think we both know the answers to those questions and when the redesigns come, due to the necessity to roll the ball back, who gets called in?

When Jack was the longest golfer on tour and winning tournaments week in and week out...What do you think his response would have been to "I think we need to roll back the ball, because you are overpowering golf courses"

Here is my thoughts on the shorter courses deal. Jack designs courses based on requests from a customer. Those customers are typically developers. If the courses is 6800 yards vs. 7200 yards. That could be 10 less houses on the property and they make less money.. They don't want shorter courses.

Two questions for you.

The ball is round. Roll happens. You're gonna have to get used to it.

1) Nicklaus pulled completely out the equipment game so I assume you're talking before that? You would slap a label on the ball (b/c you know it's a generic ball) for the hope that rules will change. They have play by the rules they're given. LIKE BRYSON.

2) You can easily make a course play shorter with tee boxes. But you'd have to design with the back tee box in mind. It's a lot easier to add a box FORWARD than backward because it's not as real estate dependent.

The conversation around Bryson is the same conversation golf has had with every new technological innovation in the game. There are historical records of correspondence to the governing bodies (including R&A) demanding stoppages to golf ball design from the feathery to gutta percha to wound. It's hysterical.
did you just call Bryson a technological innovation to golf?

Here is my thoughts on the shorter courses deal. Jack designs courses based on requests from a customer. Those customers are typically developers. If the courses is 6800 yards vs. 7200 yards. That could be 10 less houses on the property and they make less money.. They don't want shorter courses.

He is allowed to say no.

The ball is round. Roll happens. You're gonna have to get used to it.

You should travel more and golf :ROFLMAO:
Amateurs in the south are not seeing 70 yards of roll.

Haha. I was wondering that too. Does he button his Puma shirt all the way up ala Bubba?? haha. I like rules, I think etiquette totally matters. There are ton of things we call all take a breath on. Being hit into is not one of them.

I do have one question though, so you were playing split tee boxes. If you were playing the furthest back box, why were you not teeing off first? It seems the unwritten rule that the tee box depth takes president over honors. Or were you teeing off first but parking the cart a box or two up and walking back? And the group caught up to you before you could tee off.

That was my only question about that incident.
We were waiting for the group in front of the group in front of us. As the group directly in front of us was our crew, we drove our carts up to them to say hello.
Driving their carts another 10 feet allowed them to be out of my way as the path crosses the tee boxes and goes to the right.

The group behind drove past my box and to a location that was three feet from our carts, and in front of the box I teed off from. Long before it was clear for me to hit.

We were waiting for the group in front of the group in front of us. As the group directly in front of us was our crew, we drove our carts up to them to say hello.
Driving their carts another 10 feet allowed them to be out of my way as the path crosses the tee boxes and goes to the right.

The group behind drove past my box and to a location that was three feet from our carts, and in front of the box I teed off from. Long before it was clear for me to hit.

Gotcha. I was sure I was missing something.

Gotcha. I was sure I was missing something.
I have legitimately never seen a group do that before. It was like each tee box was a stop light, and they weren't even giving up two cart lengths.

....which would be fine if they weren't busy chatting away about nonsense while my group hit.

He is allowed to say no.

Of course he can say no. But then money does not happen.

Of course he can say no. But then money does not happen.

You could make the case, that every one of his courses he designed needing to be redesigned for a shorter golf ball also brings money in.
Im not making that case, but its very easy to see the correlation between what Jack speaks about and how it benefits him.

Well tell those amateurs to become professionals in the North.

I have legitimately never seen a group do that before. It was like each tee box was a stop light, and they weren't even giving up two cart lengths.

....which would be fine if they weren't busy chatting away about nonsense while my group hit.

If I am coming up on a tee and see there are groups. I always stop give/take 100 yards back.. I want to be out of sight and far enough away I cant really hear them. I feel that is the safe distance.

If I am coming up on a tee and see there are groups. I always stop give/take 100 yards back.. I want to be out of sight and far enough away I cant really hear them. I feel that is the safe distance.
e-ti-quette :sneaky:

Back