Tour Event Contest: 2020 The Memorial Tournament Sponsored by Golf Pride

Watching Golf Central and I rarely agree with Bryson Chamblee, but I agree that this should NOT be a penalty. Show me Jon was looking at the ball when it moved. He was probably looking at his landing spot or the flag.

They awarded him the penalty!
As someone else mentioned, best way to avoid controversy and it had no bearing on the outcome of the event.

Chamblee could make a sh**storm out of this since he went on record to say it wasn't a penalty.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Watching Golf Central and I rarely agree with Bryson Chamblee, but I agree that this should NOT be a penalty. Show me Jon was looking at the ball when it moved. He was probably looking at his landing spot or the flag.
I rarely agree with Chamblee either, and honestly I was surprised by his position on it. He usually goes for the hot take.

If you want to stay in your little bubble fine. I want to see the game grow and gain respect among the rest of the sporting world.

calling an obvious penalty is not living in a golf bubble. It won’t hurt growing the game. If it does, then I’ll take my golf bubble and you can have Top Golf

calling an obvious penalty is not living in a golf bubble. It won’t hurt growing the game. If it does, then I’ll take my golf bubble and you can have Top Golf

Silly rules come up in pretty much every study about why non-golfers dont like the game. So yeah it does have an effect on growing the game.

Silly rules come up in pretty much every study about why non-golfers dont like the game. So yeah it does have an effect on growing the game.
Ball not moving before you hit it is silly?

Here we go. Rahm interview time.

silly rules? You can’t be serious. Golf has rules like any other sport. The only difference is it relies on self policing and integrity.

you can golf casually without following the rules to the letter, but in tournament play, rules will and should be followed. Of non golfers don’t understand that, then they can go to Top Golf or frisbee golf.

And if there wasn't a tv camera zoomed in super close to it, would anyone have ever noticed?

Now I learned something today. I thought the rules changed addressed this situation that if unintentional, it’s not a penalty. Now I know and need to be much more careful when addressing my ball in the rough.

Rahm is correct, no matter what the ruling was, that was still a great shot.

Its so hard. The rules dont know intent.

The ball moved both in slow mo and in real time and it was pretty easy to see. Did it help him? Maybe, maybe not, but if the only excuse is that he wasn’t looking at the ball, that is hard to base a rule book on.

I find it hard to believe the amount that ball moved, helped Rahm hit that shot.

Not a chance.
And this is where integrity comes into play...self policing. I don't think Rahm did it intentionally and there's no way any knows whether he saw it happen or not.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Its so hard. The rules dont know intent.

The ball moved both in slow mo and in real time and it was pretty easy to see. Did it help him? Maybe, maybe not, but if the only excuse is that he wasn’t looking at the ball, that is hard to base a rule book on.

yeah, I’m not in the camp that it helped him or that he was even aware, but like you said the rule doesn’t know intent so if it happens you have to call it to protect the field.

Now I learned something today. I thought the rules changed addressed this situation that if unintentional, it’s not a penalty. Now I know and need to be much more careful when addressing my ball in the rough.

i got hit with a penalty one time (called it on myself) during a money game. Ever since then if I have to take a practice swing to test the rough I do it away from the ball in the general area, but no where near it. Lesson learned.

Here we go. Rahm interview time.
I thought he handled it well in the interview. May have been different if it affected the outcome, but he addressed it in a pretty straightforward manner.

I find it hard to believe the amount that ball moved, helped Rahm hit that shot.

It doesnt matter if it helps him or not.
As Rahm said, it moved, its a penalty.

i got hit with a penalty one time (called it on myself) during a money game. Ever since then if I have to take a practice swing to test the rough I do it away from the ball in the general area, but no where near it. Lesson learned.
In my case it’s not a practice swing, it’s just addressing the ball. It happens all the time that when I address the ball in the rough, the ball moves ever so slightly. The rough is so thick that it happens.

And pretty bush league by Balionis to ask that question. Whether the producers put that question in her ear or not, that wasn’t the time for a gotcha moment.

In my case it’s not a practice swing, it’s just addressing the ball. It happens all the time that when I address the ball in the rough, the ball moves ever so slightly. The rough is so thick that it happens.
That’s exactly what happened to me. So now I slightly hover the club like a bunker and make sure to hit down and through

Back