PODCAST Off Course: Episode 14: Is Jack Full of It?

And the real estate side of things, goes against what everybody has been preaching that this is bifurcation time.
Because if it is, the line needs to be drawn. If it isn't, you are literally penalizing 20+ million golfers because a few hundred hit it too far.

The average driving distance according to the USGA was under 220 last I checked. Id love to hear the real estate argument about course design for those that hit it too short too.
on these courses that don't even bother to put out the back tee blocks 350 days of the year lol

My sympathy cup poureth overeth

I think it's fascinating how so many people look at Jack, his thoughts, course designs, etc., and believe that whatever he's doing is either unnecessary or wrong. I guess he would've won 60 majors if he just listened to others and not himself?
In my mind, I separate Jack the golfer from Jack the course designer and general curmudgeon.

I think it's fascinating how so many people look at Jack, his thoughts, course designs, etc., and believe that whatever he's doing is either unnecessary or wrong. I guess he would've won 60 majors if he just listened to others and not himself?
Every one of these guys going well back to Jack and Arnie and others all had vast teams around them. Barbara still there for him. They rarely get there one their own.

I think this very well plays into the contention that if you know what you're doing, and design a hole that can withstand challenges, there isn't a need to bulldoze every year. Look at #10 Riviera. Silly little hole, but no one is outright bulldozing it. "Classic" venue where even Couples enjoyed success well into his twilight years and beyond.

The chance to dial back has been there for so long. Anything affecting revenues and participation should be looked at with a very discerning eye.
I do not want this game to be elitist. The distance narrative plays right into that.

The next episode of Off Course that will drop Friday is pure gold!

The next episode of Off Course that will drop Friday is pure gold!
Sounds fancy! I will be sure to dress appropriately.

gold.gif

Back