Mizuno Releasing JPX 921 Irons: Full Preview

Ok, now we’re cooking!!!
now do the forged and HMP please!!!!
Ya I know, always wanting more...
The Forged should see some dirt tomorrow and I’m making a trip to a course that will be open. I’ll report back on due course

Thanks Canadan!
You are fanning the flames of my desire to get these.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Great write up @Molten

These look like another winning entry into the market by Mizuno. They have taken a big step forward with the forged IMO. The Hot Metal Pros sound like fire also.

So, I smuggled some JPX 921 Tours out of THP HQ for a bit of a trial run, set up with my regular steel shafts (KBS Tour V) with completely stock construction (read: weaker lofts, somewhat flat). I have such a weird perspective on them right now after hitting all four of the heads side by side... Like if Jeep were to sell a sedan - the guts are definitely in line, but it's kind of out on an island by itself.

Is that a bad thing? I say hell no. Each head in the line has something unique that defines it, and the Tours are exactly that.. the JPX version of a tour iron that is high powered, built with a lot of carefully considered elements, and intended for those players who want a bit more than an MB while enjoying the maximum workability they are familiar with.

All that in mind, a bit of a nod to 919. I'll be blunt - I thought the tours were the worst sounding iron of the entire Mizuno lineup. I wanted nothing to do with them. Yeah, harsh, I get it, but I think I need to say that to comment on how much I DO like the sound of 921. It is wildly better, and the presentation from a finish standpoint combines for what I would consider to be a very appealing profile.

So what can we really talk about beyond sound (great) when it comes to a players iron? Workability? Maximum. I've got a video coming up on THP TV that actively displays the ease that these irons have turning the ball both ways. Where some irons hit it straight when you didn't think they would, these hit the ball the direction you know you deserved haha! Overall flight? Spin? Predictable based on loft. There's only so much a company can do with a subtle CB/MB profile when it comes to spin production or reduction. I can hit it high and land it soft, I can hit it with spin... they 'work' how you want them to.

Turf interaction. Neutral to reasonable. My divots were shallow all day, which is awesome as the turf is a bit soft after some rain here. That's a big win for this profile, and it also supports the design features of this type of iron because you sort of need to get the head into the ball at the right height to get positive feedback. Yes, of course I hit one thin.. with a 5 iron.. to a 210 yard pin... it didn't feel great, but I lipped the 20 foot birdie putt so I am not upset about it.

The final comment before you guys read and ask more: like most in this profile from Mizuno, there just isn't much out there that feels as rewarding as enjoyable as flushing one. I hit two straight irons that you'd call "nutted" if you were with me, and I was so impressed. Did I mention the sound yet? Again? K.

Your turn.
Now I’m reeeeeally interested in you grabbing the forged and getting them on course.

After testing the 770s, I came home and hit the HMP 7 iron in the sim and man I like the HMP.

The Forged heads made their debut in really soft conditions on a windy day. I have them built with TT Elevate Tours and close to my ideal lie, length, grips, and swing weight. Even though it was the first round, they felt surprisingly comfortable in hand and in shape. They have the same basic shape of the Forged Tec at address but with less offset (loving life there)

I still feel like this is a bit of a split set with the half chromoly, half 1025E forged heads even though I know they aren’t. The short irons really ripped through the soft turf and the interaction was a bit better than I’m used to from wider soles. Head size is definitely a players size but it really wasn’t intimidating.

The short irons have absolute versatility - I was able to turn them both ways (Mostly draws but still) and center strikes sound and feel great. Plenty of feedback on missed shots, with a bit of the drop in distance off the toe (maybe 5 yards). I also could flight the Forged really well on the windy day. The landing angle and spin held everything they hit. My great shots were rewarded but I saw a little penalty for some misses as a strayed from the center.

Long irons are long - I played them at the same yardage as my previous hollow body irons and they held true to those yardages. The ball really jumps off the chromoly face and the head glided through the turf without digging. Sound was good but certainly still not as perfect at the F9 iron that I measure most irons against.

On full shots of both long and short irons, the launch and spin was higher then the two hollow bodied clubs I played this year.

I was swinging pretty decent today and I had a lot of birdie looks as a result of the 921F and I’ve come away knowing they are very, very playable for low but also mid handicaps. The chromoly revolution is real and If I was a betting man, I would bet hard that these are going to sell really well.

The Forged heads made their debut in really soft conditions on a windy day. I have them built with TT Elevate Tours and close to my ideal lie, length, grips, and swing weight. Even though it was the first round, they felt surprisingly comfortable in hand and in shape. They have the same basic shape of the Forged Tec at address but with less offset (loving life there)

I still feel like this is a bit of a split set with the half chromoly, half 1025E forged heads even though I know they aren’t. The short irons really ripped through the soft turf and the interaction was a bit better than I’m used to from wider soles. Head size is definitely a players size but it really wasn’t intimidating.

The short irons have absolute versatility - I was able to turn them both ways (Mostly draws but still) and center strikes sound and feel great. Plenty of feedback on missed shots, with a bit of the drop in distance off the toe (maybe 5 yards). I also could flight the Forged really well on the windy day. The landing angle and spin held everything they hit. My great shots were rewarded but I saw a little penalty for some misses as a strayed from the center.

Long irons are long - I played them at the same yardage as my previous hollow body irons and they held true to those yardages. The ball really jumps off the chromoly face and the head glided through the turf without digging. Sound was good but certainly still not as perfect at the F9 iron that I measure most irons against.

On full shots of both long and short irons, the launch and spin was higher then the two hollow bodied clubs I played this year.

I was swinging pretty decent today and I had a lot of birdie looks as a result of the 921F and I’ve come away knowing they are very, very playable for low but also mid handicaps. The chromoly revolution is real and If I was a betting man, I would bet hard that these are going to sell really well.

Awesome stuff here. I literally can’t wait to demo these.

Why am I so enchanted about an almost set of 921 HMP's, knowing that I've got Chromoly - maybe the 9-PW in forged for a smaller head, or maybe just the PW and in a steel shaft like my other wedges. Demo time.

Looking forward to hearing about the HM and HMP’s. I think those 2 sets will be the biggest sellers.....

I guess I should clarify one of my statements about the launch and spin. I’m pretty confident the launch was a little higher. I also believe that the spin was higher because I saw a few eight and nine irons check up and spin back a bit but that also could’ve been partly the conditions.

can you comment more on the forgiveness on toe shots please? You said 5 yards....is this typical for you, better, worse, good, bad etc etc
its my miss, so very interested in hearing more, thanks!

can you comment more on the forgiveness on toe shots please? You said 5 yards....is this typical for you, better, worse, good, bad etc etc
Its certainly not that bad but it may not be best in class either. It was not a chromoly iron, so I’m not sure if that’s impacts things yet.

Toe side is my normal miss too. The sample size is too small to make big, definite statements but I will say I distinctly recall two approaches today where I had my normal toe side miss with short irons and it was about 5 yards short of my expectation. Not really a problem because they were on line - just a longer putt.

If you are looking for highly forgiving and straighter shots, I have it on great authority that the HM and HMP are going to check a lot of the boxes.

I have the current 919F - I can confirm the feel of those toe misses, even though the 919 from all reports has more toe forgiveness than the 921. You'll lose a bit. At least you can feel the miss and correct it. When corrected, these clubs, same 1025E in the short irons as the 921, feel great.

In my swing, it' because I keep the trail shoulder back too long. It's a thing from too much Hank Haney instruction. And it's an easy miss for me to correct. Good luck when you demo.

I have a set of HMP and Forged in 919 - it's tough to give up the extra distance and more forgiveness of the HMP if you need it - I'm less then 100 driver ss, so I need it to play with more irons from the blue tees (red, white, blue, black in back)

great stuff @Molten definitely sounds like the 921f are worth some attention

Last edited:
Will somebody write something about these that I don't like? :cool:

Sheesh, should I just send Mizuno my money and buy a set each of the Tours, Forged, and HMP? Mentally, that's about where I'm at right now. ;)
Sure, I’ll say something you don’t like! It isn’t mid-September yet.

But really, I may ultimately be better off with the HMP in the long run but I’m floored how playable these were

Back