Cobra KING F9 SPEEDBACK Driver

Day 2 with mine and the honeymoon is still going smoothly. First drive with no range warmup was long and straight. Just a very small push like I saw yesterday leaving me with <60 yards to the green on a par 4 (350 tee into wind).

2nd time I used it I held on a little long and hit something between a cut and a slice, but got lucky and found a fairway bunker.

3rd time was that same long, slight push, but a little bit of a mis-hit. Somehow I found the fairway and had roughly 125 left from the 393 tee. But ~270 on wet ground with a mis-hit that finds the fairway is better than what I deserved.

I used it on the 9th, but tried to get cute with it and hit a big draw around a curved hole with water all down the left. I found the water. I can’t hit a cut most of the time, but tried too off the water anyway and just sliced it to the right. Neither had anything to do with the club or it’s performance.

I spent some time on the range afterward with it and am really liking what I’m seeing. It seems longer and more consistent than my standard F8 was. Same when compared to my PXG 0811X (Gen 1) - which was just okay and never really impressed me.

I hit the Tour Length F9 (10.5*) with the 59g 5F4 Helium shaft in it for the first time today on the range. I set it up as close to the Fly-Z+ as I could: turned it down to 9.5*D and flipped the 18 g weight to the front and 6 g to the back. It's supposed to have the stock Lamkin Crossline Cobra Connect grip on it, but it is a little thicker, almost like a midsize grip, than the Fly-Z+'s stock grip.

This is the first UST Mamiya and first counterbalanced shaft I've ever had. This shaft is 6g lighter, and my swing speed radar was a few ticks faster with it (98-104) than what I've seen with the Fly-Z+ (95-101). I've seen "smooth" describe a shaft here for years; now I think I know what it means.

Right away, the ball flight was noticeably higher, just hanging in the air for what seemed like days without having popped it up. I lost a couple to the right, as usual, but these shots seemed straighter than what I've been hitting lately. There were some low heel and high toe misses, but I think I found the center of the face more often than not. I'm really looking forward to getting this out on the course to see how far (and straight) it flies.

KIMG3099.JPG

I love this driver.... has transformed my game off the tee.... my only complaint is the groove around the face perimeter.... you hit one thin and the ball is trashed lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love this driver.... has transformed my game off the tee.... my only complaint is the groove around the face perimeter.... you hit one thin and the ball is trashed lol

I'm still loving mine as well. I've never had a driver perform this consistent for me!!

I'm still loving mine as well. I've never had a driver perform this consistent for me!!

Same here buddy..... Never

So true, while I had the F9 I trashed quite a few of my practice balls. I picked up a Speedzone and now my balls are surviving better on those thin hits. :ROFLMAO:

So true, while I had the F9 I trashed quite a few of my practice balls. I picked up a Speedzone and now my balls are surviving better on those thin hits. :ROFLMAO:
I've been pondering both, and trying to determine if the added cost of the Speedzone is worth it. I have a couple Cobra shafts, so only cost would be the head. How much is forgiveness worth, that's my question.

I've been pondering both, and trying to determine if the added cost of the Speedzone is worth it. I have a couple Cobra shafts, so only cost would be the head. How much is forgiveness worth, that's my question.
I was lucky in that I found a slightly used one at a super deal, otherwise I would still be using my F9 SB. The added cost would have kept me away. I kept the F9 too. I guess I can test my thin shots every now and then :cool:

I was lucky in that I found a slightly used one at a super deal, otherwise I would still be using my F9 SB. The added cost would have kept me away. I kept the F9 too. I guess I can test my thin shots every now and then :cool:
I'm coming from an F6+, so I know regardless I'll see an increase in forgiveness. If I can find a Speedzone for just a bit more I would jump there. Otherwise I'm looking at the F9.

I’m know I’m late to the party on this driver but I took some convincing to try the F9 as I couldn't really get comfortable with the F8. Anyway my new 10.5 F9 in Avalanche with UST shaft arrived yesterday. Hit a few balls out into the pasture field last night and gamed it today - ‘outstanding‘ is the word that comes to mind. On my usual course I easily bettered my previous ever longest drives on two holes. Dispersion was good and even mis-hits were ok. I think my Epic Flash is now retired to the back up bag!

Had a great range session with my F9 Sunday, it is so longgggg And A bomber for sure. The sweet crack sound off the face is music to my ears. Will be in my bag until at least end of season.

After a couple months with the F9, it's a few yards shorter than the Fly-Z+, but I'm finding more fairways with it.

:confused2:

I have been struggling all year off the tee. Today I found middle of fairway and longer than I have been all year. Still love the F9 and can’t see a change anytime soon. I have posted about testing the new SZ versus my F9 but remain steadfast with F9 staying in the bag.

I have been struggling all year off the tee. Today I found middle of fairway and longer than I have been all year. Still love the F9 and can’t see a change anytime soon. I have posted about testing the new SZ versus my F9 but remain steadfast with F9 staying in the bag.

is it true the F9 sounds better? I heard the SZ is more metal sounding. Just love The crack of a wood baseball bat Sound my F9 produces on great hits. Not worth the extra $$ I presume? Thanks

I didn’t find any difference between the SZ and the F9, at least not measurable with my swing. When tested in a sim room, I actually hit my F9 a yard longer; maybe one can attribute this to familiarity.
I can’t tell you how many times people have mentioned the sound my driver makes. Can’t tell you about the new SZ.
Forgiveness is supposed to be a little better with the SZ. Also, the wrapped milled face may provide some additional confidence. Again, with my swing speed and game, finding the centre of the face is paramount so F9 milled face has suited me just fine. I have been told differences in technology usually 3-5 year cycles. For all of these reasons, I am not going to swap out my F9.

Now nearly a month in with the F9 and it’s been gamed daily. Continue to be impressed- obviously distance is the best ever ( bettering the now sold Epic Flash and Rogue ) and accuracy is also there when operator error is absent !

is it true the F9 sounds better? I heard the SZ is more metal sounding. Just love The crack of a wood baseball bat Sound my F9 produces on great hits. Not worth the extra $$ I presume? Thanks

I love the carbon crack sound of the F9, such a great noise.

I love the carbon crack sound of the F9, such a great noise.
I'm comparing against an older F6+, whose sound has never been described as pleasant. The F9 sounds so solid and so great. Feel is better too. I only took one swing with the F9, but it was a bomb. Same as my F6, but the F6 rolled out in the fairway while the F9 died in the rough. Would have liked to know the difference, because I hit both right on the money.

Trying to justify the cost of an upgrade for 10-20 yards...

They sound similar, if not the same. More of a thwack than a hollow sound. The SZ has been a better driver for me, but not necessary longer. The forgiveness on the extreme edges is defiantly an improvement. Both are great drivers, and the F9 is one heck of a value right now.

I'm comparing against an older F6+, whose sound has never been described as pleasant. The F9 sounds so solid and so great. Feel is better too. I only took one swing with the F9, but it was a bomb. Same as my F6, but the F6 rolled out in the fairway while the F9 died in the rough. Would have liked to know the difference, because I hit both right on the money.

Trying to justify the cost of an upgrade for 10-20 yards...

I need to let you borrow the F9 head so you can throw your shaft on and compare to the F6. It would be really nice to see numbers on a simulator. I definitely believe you will get AT LEAST 10 yards more of distance.

They sound similar, if not the same. More of a thwack than a hollow sound. The SZ has been a better driver for me, but not necessary longer. The forgiveness on the extreme edges is defiantly an improvement. Both are great drivers, and the F9 is one heck of a value right now.

Definitely a great point, the value of the F9 can't be beat right now.

I need to let you borrow the F9 head so you can throw your shaft on and compare to the F6. It would be really nice to see numbers on a simulator. I definitely believe you will get AT LEAST 10 yards more of distance.
I know, I think it has that potential too. That one swing does have me wanting more! Some sim time would be great to get some good hard data.

Thanks for sharing your F9, and opening this equipment ponder :ROFLMAO:

I know, I think it has that potential too. That one swing does have me wanting more! Some sim time would be great to get some good hard data.

Thanks for sharing your F9, and opening this equipment ponder :ROFLMAO:

Haha, I could talk about the F9 all day! We should just take both your F6 and my F9 to Foxy and then compare them to the SZ as well. :unsure:

Haha, I could talk about the F9 all day! We should just take both your F6 and my F9 to Foxy and then compare them to the SZ as well. :unsure:

Do you know if they will rent their sim for 30 or 60 min ? I have 3 drivers I want to get data on. 1899 in Canton is temporarily closed until Oct so they can add a new kitchen area.

Do you know if they will rent their sim for 30 or 60 min ? I have 3 drivers I want to get data on. 1899 in Canton is temporarily closed until Oct so they can add a new kitchen area.

I am not sure about officially renting. But I have taken clubs in and compared them against demo clubs they have available for 30-40 minutes on the simulator.

Back