Is Armlock Really Any Different vs Anchoring

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I suspect based on the fact that Bryson locks the arm and putts like he's standing over a railing, and continues to win and have great putting stats, that this debate will become more common as we slide into the 2021 season.

Is there REALLY any difference from a functional 'reducing a variable' perspective between locking the arm on a putter vs locking the putter on the chest? Can the Tour really validate their decision to ban anchoring without attacking armlock?

Related; Hi Adam.

I don't see much of a difference. Both are anchoring the putter to / against a body part.

Yeah, the arm still moves.
Of course the basic concepts of the two are different, however, locking the putter in place all but removes the variable of wrists playing a significant role in the putting stroke. Basically, you are eliminating a variable, which is the same logic on anchoring.

It's not about whether it's the same, it's whether the two merit the same ire from the tour.

Yes it’s different but there is still an anchor point.

Counterpoint is if you can putt with this thing though, you should be allowed to do whatever you want.

F394ECC3-A442-4163-B39C-43DFAAB2CD7B.jpeg

Last edited:
Of course the basic concepts of the two are different, however, locking the putter in place all but removes the variable of wrists playing a significant role in the putting stroke. Basically, you are eliminating a variable, which is the same logic on anchoring.

It's not about whether it's the same, it's whether the two merit the same ire from the tour.
I don't. Anchoring makes the fulcrum the putter. Armlock it's still a moving body part, just one shoulder instead of two. By that logic jumbo grips should be outlawed as well. I expect Bryson to armlock his wedges at some point.

This. Why would the Tour ban what is essentially choking down on a long putter? Anchoring is different physics.
Well, why would the tour ban anchoring in the first place?

If you have a real answer, I'd love to read it haha - Haven't seen a good reason yet.

I don't. Anchoring makes the fulcrum the putter. Armlock it's still a moving body part, just one shoulder instead of two. By that logic jumbo grips should be outlawed as well. I expect Bryson to armlock his wedges at some point.
I think the tour is going to come out with a max length for each iron, with wedges being a touch under what Bryson is working with hahaha

For the record, I don't think either should be banned, I just think it's a question worth discussing.

I don’t think they should have banned anchoring. But they did.
That's basically my exact point for the thread.

Their reasoning was pretty soft on the anchoring ban, so is this really any different? Well, minus the part where Bryson's putting is standing out significantly unlike most who used the anchoring concept before it was banned haha

That's basically my exact point for the thread.

Their reasoning was pretty soft on the anchoring ban, so is this really any different? Well, minus the part where Bryson's putting is standing out significantly unlike most who used the anchoring concept before it was banned haha

I’m with you. Bryson’s putting might be the most remarkable part of his transformation. If they want limits, set them with the club not technique. How about a max length for puttet, putt however? They may be thinking about max length drivers after Bryson starts hitting 48” 360+. 🤪

Allowing anchoring for 4+ decades and then banning it was one of the worst decisions the USGA ever made. Their definition of what is and what isn't anchoring has boxed them into a corner that will make it difficult to ban armlock. If he continues to dominate the putting stats I'm guessing we will see more young golfers take up the arm lock method. I'm thinking of going back to it myself, lol.

For some reason the broom stick/anchoring against the chest cheaters like Adam Scott bugs me more than the arm lock.

I’m with you. Bryson’s putting might be the most remarkable part of his transformation. If they want limits, set them with the club not technique. How about a max length for puttet, putt however? They may be thinking about max length drivers after Bryson starts hitting 48” 360+. 🤪
If he controls 48 inch driver shaft bombs, I've got no words... it'll just be emojis at that point.

The arm lock rests against the forearm. The wrists include the hands and the forearms. The hands are holding the golf club. Therefore the club is anchored against part of the wrist. One doesn't have to be a genious to work that out. :)

I don't like timing in these decisions and the appearances it could/does/did continues to create.
Wasn't Adam sniffing majors at the time with his broomstick? They just trying to block certain people at certain times from ascending? Perhaps.

No. It IS anchoring the putter to a part of the body. Anchoring shouldn’t be banned, but since it is, this should be too.

Neither of them merit any ire - from the Tour, the USGA, or anybody else. (IMO, of course)

An anchor point to me means the anchor point is stead fast, and doesn't move. The moving arm can't be an anchor point because it moves with the hands holding the club.

The fact that the pga, usga, and I assume the r&a allow Bryson to putt like that means he's not anchoring the putter to a fixed, non moving point on his body.

I use the same putting motion in as much as I don't break my wrist in my putting, or chipping stroke. I move the whole triangle formed by the shoulders, arms, and hands, same as Bryson does.

All I know is Bryson looks ridiculous when he putts. Given his results I may be making the switch to a ridiculous looking arm locker soon

All I know is Bryson looks ridiculous when he putts. Given his results I may be making the switch to a ridiculous looking arm locker soon
It's working for now. If his body wears, it will be a hard position to continue to hold with time. Lot of what he does looks painful and not built for the long term. But that is where they are pushing these guys so that long-standing records and glory of yore remain just that.
It took those guys loooong careers to do it. How long will B.A.D. be around?

Just don't slip up in the gym now. :cool:

In encyclopedia definition, yes it is anchoring the putter to his arm

In USGA rules defnition, it is not.

This^^^^

As any mechanical engineer will tell you, the standard golf swing has a number of anchor points. If the USGA wanted to be accurate they would have called Rule 14-1b the "Some" Anchoring Ban. I suspect the USGA really wanted to ban the longer putters, but given that they certified that equipment as conforming for over 40 years feared lawsuits by the equipment manufacturers.

I think it’s functionally the same. The fulcrum becomes the front shoulder socket instead of the chest

Back