Review Voice Caddie L4 Rangefinder

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
Last week on THP, I started a thread/poll on what price range you budget for your next rangefinder. As of this post, there were over 60 responses to that poll question, and the results of which might cause some to pay attention to this thread. 66% of the responses said that they budget a purchase price of under $300 for a laser rangefinder. Now that market has seemingly grown quite a bit over the last handful of years. Not only have the number of rangefinders in that price range expanded, but also the quality of those devices has also gone up. With all of that said, let me introduce to you the latest review produce to hit my desk, from our friends at Voice Caddie, the L4 Rangefinder with slope.

IMG_3332.jpg

IMG_3334.jpg

IMG_3336.jpg

IMG_3339.jpg

IMG_3337.jpg

The L4 Rangefinder offers some pretty strong specs, esp for a rangefinder that comes in at $249.99.
  1. Slope Function that can be enabled/disabled
  2. Vibration when locked in on pin
  3. One Touch Pin Seeker
  4. 1000 yard range
  5. 6x Magnification
  6. Highest Quality Optics and Lens
  7. High Speed Scan Mode

It has been a while since I have dabbled with a new rangefinder, so I am pretty excited to get this one going.

• Staff
Here is all the information available on the lens when you are zooming in on a target. Plenty of information and I LOVE that there is a battery indicator.

l4.JPG

That’s pretty feature rich at that price point! If the optics are anything like the SL1, that’s a steal!

Never used a range finder myself, but I found myself getting more and more interested. Can't wait to hear more!

That seems to fit the bill with a strong combination of features at that price!

Great introduction to the product! I haven’t seen this in the wild but it looks feature rich

• Staff
That’s pretty feature rich at that price point! If the optics are anything like the SL1, that’s a steal!

I feel like it's got the basics of what I would want. That SL1 is crazy with features, that for me, I feel I don't need. But if you figure this is a meat and potatoes rangefinder, I feel it ticks a lot of boxes.

$250 for those features huh? :oops:

I feel like it's got the basics of what I would want. That SL1 is crazy with features, that for me, I feel I don't need. But if you figure this is a meat and potatoes rangefinder, I feel it ticks a lot of boxes.

I hear you! I’m impressed with what they’ve included in this package. The build looks fairly rugged and durable too.
Interestingly enough, it feels the difference between this and the GL1 is the GPS data that give you front back and middle along with distance to hazards and bunkers. That bit of data costs you an extra $250. All that to say I can clearly see your point if you’re not looking for those extra bells and whistles.

Very nice. Can you compare the size to anything else that has been out in the market for a while?

Looking forward to your on-course experience with this one, @ddec. I'd selected "under $200" in the poll, but, for the right quality and feature set I might be persuaded to stretch that a bit :) The feature set looks to be there, and I like the no nonsense look to this one. Now let's see how it performs.

I hear you! I’m impressed with what they’ve included in this package. The build looks fairly rugged and durable too.
Interestingly enough, it feels the difference between this and the GL1 is the GPS data that give you front back and middle along with distance to hazards and bunkers. That bit of data costs you an extra $250. All that to say I can clearly see your point if you’re not looking for those extra bells and whistles.

the weight feels good, it's billed as 199 grams. I'll weigh it when I get home. It is nice a grippy which I like. Doesn't have that smooth plastic feel that you can get on some lower-end units.

One thing I have not seen yet is any kind of water resistance rating. I know the SL1 is listed as water-resistant as is the GL1.

Very nice. Can you compare the size to anything else that has been out in the market for a while?

The two rangefinders I have handy at home have both been out for a while. I still use my Bushnell Tour V2, because it does what I want and I haven't needed to replace it. My wife uses the Precision Pro Nexus. So I can absolutely do that for you. If you have another model in mind, let me know and I can see what I can do.

Looking forward to your on-course experience with this one, @ddec. I'd selected "under $200" in the poll, but, for the right quality and feature set I might be persuaded to stretch that a bit :) The feature set looks to be there, and I like the no nonsense look to this one. Now let's see how it performs.

Love it. That's kind of the reaction I was hoping we'd get over here. It's not stretching the budget a whole lot, and brings the price down just enough to make it enticing for those who want something under that 200 mark.

The two rangefinders I have handy at home have both been out for a while. I still use my Bushnell Tour V2, because it does what I want and I haven't needed to replace it. My wife uses the Precision Pro Nexus. So I can absolutely do that for you. If you have another model in mind, let me know and I can see what I can do.
Oh, perfect. I had the V2 for many years. Appreciate it!

One thing I have not seen yet is any kind of water resistance rating. I know the SL1 is listed as water-resistant as is the GL1.
Voice Caddie's product page is silent on the question, but their description on the Amazon product page reads:
The L4 ... has other great features such as a durable, weather and shock resistant design.
One supposes you could always dump it in a bucket of water for a half-hour of so to find out
uptosumpn.gif

Magnet ?

kinda curious how this one will hold up. Others like the PrecisionPro 9 HD at a similar price point seemed to poop out about 6-12 months after using it.

@ddec - is this the same version that came out a while back? I am seeing first sold on Amazon on Jan 2019 and one site lists its as VoiceCaddie L4 with Slope - 2018.
They all look the same case wise an specs wise so I was just curious if this is a new refreshed model or the same as those.

Thanks

@ddec - is this the same version that came out a while back? I am seeing first sold on Amazon on Jan 2019 and one site lists its as VoiceCaddie L4 with Slope - 2018.
They all look the same case wise an specs wise so I was just curious if this is a new refreshed model or the same as those.

Thanks

I believe this is not a new release for them. But I can get that confirmed to see if it's the same or a refresh.

I believe this is not a new release for them. But I can get that confirmed to see if it's the same or a refresh.
Ok cool. Does it have a magnet ?

Ah bummer...with me losing my old Bushnell I kinda want the magnet this time around. I tend to leave it on the fender of the cart more often than I'd like to admit :confused:

Ah bummer...with me losing my old Bushnell I kinda want the magnet this time around. I tend to leave it on the fender of the cart more often than I'd like to admit :confused:
I get the point in having a trusty magnet . You can always add a magnetic strap. Stripebird makes a quality one.

Seems like all the features are there and a great price point. I like the shock absorption and weather resistance. The grip looks to be useful and assume it feels good in hand.

With a crowded market i feel slope and haptic feedback are essential to win over new customers.

I get the point in having a trusty magnet . You can always add a magnetic strap. Stripe it's makes a quality one.

Or a simple magnet case.
I had great use out of the Precision Pro magnet. I had way less success with the Bushnell magnet.

Back