Srixon ZX5 and ZX7 Irons Review

Still waiting for my ZX7 / $ taper combo to arrive.

SOOO SLOW SRIXON.

Get it together.

Made the decision to get the AW as part of my set last night. All of these high pressure self negotiations are really taking their toll.....

Good choice, always fun to play with AW setups.

Okay the ZX7's where sent to me with Modus 120S shafts and he set them up 1 flat for me.
The shaft is not something I would normally choose, especially in S flex but it felt really smooth. I could feel the clubhead all the way thru the swing.
The V sole is just the best sole out there unquestionably IMO. Goes thru the turf easily and doesn't ever seem to hang up.
I was a full club shorter 10-12 yards distance wise compared to my Epic Forged. So with the EF I would hit a 7 155, with this 7 iron i was 145 consistently. That seemed to hold true throughout the set. Which does make it easy to know that I just needed to get the yardage and then compute and grab one more club.
I hit a lot of shots with the 6/7/8 today and it was fun!!!
You can tell when you are hitting center mass on these as the feeling is just really soft. Playing a 2020 CS there was not loud clicks, just a soft click of the ball sailing away. I was getting enough height to have a good decent angle to hold green. I never had one ball today that was farther than 6 feet from the ball mark. I think the CS was helping on that part a bit, and seems like a great combo.
I had a couple that I caught low (almost bladed shots) but they still got up in the air and didn't lose drastic distance.
I didn't really have any shot way out on the toe so can't really say how that shot would play out.
For the first time out with these I was very impressed and compared to the 765's I used to play these are better by 10X. I would buy these right now without hesitation.
I will be able to get them out at least 2 more times this weekend if the weather holds and try to have some better thoughts on them.

Thanks for the detailed notes. Much appreciated! 10X better is strong praise, I love hearing that.

I really want to try the ZX7 AW against a couple others. Especially a Zipcore.

@Jman has the PW and he's a Zipcore guy. Do you have numbers for you for a similarly lofted Zipcore James? I'd be curious to hear what they are or how you would compare the two there from your time with them.

Last edited:
I really want to try the ZX7 AW against a couple others. Especially a Zipcore.

I've done this extensively with the 921 Tour GW and my 52* RTX-4 wedge.

I could probably go either way but the 921 Tour GW is yet to leave my bag so I guess that says everything..

@Jman has the PW and he's a Zipcore guy. Do you have numbers for you for a similarly lofted Zipcore James? I'd be curious to hear what they are or how you would compare the two there from your time with them.
ZX7 is more forgiving and will be more effective by design for most than a 46 or 48 Zipcore. The PW doesn’t spin as much and isn’t workable to the degree that a bladed wedge is, still workable with its profile, just not AS workable.

In the end it’s personal preference. Though I don’t have any idea why one wouldn’t play the set PW in the 7’s, it’s plenty of a precision instrument still. (y)

I ht the 785's and tried them a couple different times, these blow them out of the water on feel. Not even close IMO.
Hmmm, got me wondering whether to think about replacing the Z785 long irons in my combo set if they are that much better

I do like my Z-Forged/Z785 and had no thoughts about replacing them until you said that

Hmmm, got me wondering whether to think about replacing the Z785 long irons in my combo set if they are that much better

I do like my Z-Forged/Z785 and had no thoughts about replacing them until you said that
I would definitely try them Doc. The 5 iron I hit was just smooth and effortless.

I would definitely try them Doc. The 5 iron I hit was just smooth and effortless.
Thanks a lot Snickers.....NOT! :LOL:

ZX7 4-6i with Modus 105 x-stiff..... :unsure:

Why the lighter shaft in x-stiff? Why not heavier?
It was what I was fitted for when I got the irons - in my previous irons I had the Modus 130 (albeit in regular flex as that was the best result at that time), but the 105 in x-stiff gave me better results than the 105 in stiff and various other shafts I tried

Seeing the results in my game and the handicap drop seems to back up the decision made by my fitter, so I am not going to argue with it

My fitter was the same person who I had my lessons from, so he had seen my swing change and improve during the time I had the previous irons

It was what I was fitted for when I got the irons - in my previous irons I had the Modus 130 (albeit in regular flex as that was the best result at that time), but the 105 in x-stiff gave me better results than the 105 in stiff and various other shafts I tried

Seeing the results in my game and the handicap drop seems to back up the decision made by my fitter, so I am not going to argue with it

My fitter was the same person who I had my lessons from, so he had seen my swing change and improve during the time I had the previous irons
That is good stuff and makes sense.

ZX7 is more forgiving and will be more effective by design for most than a 46 or 48 Zipcore. The PW doesn’t spin as much and isn’t workable to the degree that a bladed wedge is, still workable with its profile, just not AS workable.

In the end it’s personal preference. Though I don’t have any idea why one wouldn’t play the set PW in the 7’s, it’s plenty of a precision instrument still. (y)
I did try replacing the PW in the Z785 set with a 46* Jaws MD5, to gain more workability (In theory). The one issue I had was a loss in distance. Even though the two irons had the same lof the 785 PW still went about 10 yards further on the same swing.

I’ve just got caught up on the last 25 days of this thread and since my current Srixon irons are from 2016, I can easily rationalize getting a set of ZX7/5’s for my birthday in March. I’ll have to figure out what shafts but I’m leaning towards the DG’s again. I’m open to suggestions but I need something at least 125 grams with a ball flight that is on the lower end like my x100’s.

I’ve just got caught up on the last 25 days of this thread and since my current Srixon irons are from 2016, I can easily rationalize getting a set of ZX7/5’s for my birthday in March. I’ll have to figure out what shafts but I’m leaning towards the DG’s again. I’m open to suggestions but I need something at least 125 grams with a ball flight that is on the lower end like my x100’s.
If you haven't tried them and have somewhere that you can, I might give the Project X LS a few swings. 125g would be S+, but I can play S (120g) just fine. They seem a little weightier than they are. Just a thought.

I did try replacing the PW in the Z785 set with a 46* Jaws MD5, to gain more workability (In theory). The one issue I had was a loss in distance. Even though the two irons had the same lof the 785 PW still went about 10 yards further on the same swing.
Tell that to the loft militia please.

Equal loft does not mean equal distance.

@Jman love this write up, and I like this offering. These might give the hogans a good battle

Tell that to the loft militia please.

Equal loft does not mean equal distance.
Absolutely, ball speed, launch and spin dictate distance. All those are influenced by a variety of factors and loft is only one of the contributing factors.

Are you playing 565's? I thought these were pretty sweet irons.

Back