Srixon ZX5 and ZX7 Irons Review

If I could find an LH demo 7i in the zx5, that would be fantastical.
I feel like just getting the lefty thing fixed might be easier. It's hard to be lefty ho, and we want you out there, ho'ing it up.

I feel like just getting the lefty thing fixed might be easier. It's hard to be lefty ho, and we want you out there, ho'ing it up.

This is just a dalliance...those 19 apex pros will be the bees knees when put together...

:oops:

I don't get that one. Nothing about the offset seems out of place to me.

I have pictures of the ZX7 next to the Tours, because they're really similar size. Did I not post them? It fascinated me because they're similar looks, but geared towards pretty different players, I think.

I have only seen the ZX irons in person briefly, so I don't have a lot of input. However, for me personally, the blade length and where the top-line enters the hosel can sometimes make offset look "different", for lack of a better word. The 785s were too long heel to toe for my liking. I even thought the Z Forged offset looked to be more present than I imagined it would.

I have only seen the ZX irons in person briefly, so I don't have a lot of input. However, for me personally, the blade length and where the top-line enters the hosel can sometimes make offset look "different", for lack of a better word. The 785s were too long heel to toe for my liking. I even thought the Z Forged offset looked to be more present than I imagined it would.

Yeah, the perceived offset is what matters. Visually at least. And it can be really different for 2 irons with the same number on the spec sheet. I was just surprised by that earlier reference to it, because I'm really picky about how offset looks, and I had tiny gripes about these intially, but that wasn't one of them.

Last edited:
@Jman dont you have some j15 irons? I recall those being almost universally loved and I think these are similar in shape.

If you have some, can you snap a couple comparisons?

So I did not play the ZX7 today, as I said I would not.

I did think about them though.

We played in what was about 30% casual water conditions. CPO, choose a path and tip toe, everything is wet by hole 3 including your 'dry' towel type stuff. And throughout the day I and my swing drug some serious mud. And ate some too. It was heavy work.

And I thought about those soles, and how slicey they are. And it was nice.

That's all.

Oof, in for the night.

Yeah, I think it's just a semantic thing. Segment, demograghic, player, etc. We all know who they're targeted at. I think that a higher spin player and lower spin player or shallow player vs. steeper one would view and appreciate them (or not) differently is all. And those are phrases we use to describe different players usually, so that's what I meant.

I can really only know me though. I'm not a high spin player. That always feels weird to say though, because I spin the **** out of my short irons. But as a not 'high spin player' in the mid irons, I noticed lower spin on monitor with them vs. the tours, and have noticed less spin, more carry, and less stopping power for me since my first couple shots on course with the ZX7 compared to my irons I get more similar numbers to the Tours with on monitor. I don't usually run into spin numbers like that until I get into irons that offer a little more help or specific tech usually. I hit 2 separate 8 irons today that were right at 180 yd (that's real long for me), and both rolled out a bit. On holes and greens I've played with a lot of other cavity back irons. And those are results, consistent with my observations since my first time out, that are a little different than some in the same category. So I, me, don't think some lower spin players, who have a concern about that, will be best suited to them.

I hadn't had them on monitor yet when I played them, and I don't really pay much attention to review stuff until after either. Just the initial hype stuff and the article here. So I was surprised a bit by some stuff, but it was backed up by my numbers on monitor, and just about every review I've seen since has put has them on the lower side of spin for the style/type of irons. Anyone can check them out. Not saying it's good or bad, and makes sense to me for the lofts and build of them. They'll be a great fit for lots of players.

All my reactions along the way are in here. I don't think they've changed too much. I think they're long for the style, lower spinning than I'm used to lately, feel great, give fantastic feedback, go through the turf like a dream, look sharp, clean off well, are very soft, etc etc. I totally love the V Sole on them, which seems even better than the 785's, because I have a very forward low point, with a fairly strong AoA, and can't remember my last fat shot. They're perfect for me. I do not miss bouncing out or getting stuck when I play them. Not one bit. lol So honestly as a fit, they're a bit of a conundrum for me, but I've really enjoyed my rounds out there with them.
I can sort of see what both you and @JB are getting at. Certainly, both fit within the category of a player’s iron, an iron designed for a skilled ball striker, usually with decent ball speed and having a repeatable swing. Isn’t that what you, @JB, are getting at?

Within that set of golfer, there is a subset of are those who notice minute differences in golf clubs. Tiger is notorious for this. From what I have read, when testing out a new driver, he can be handed dozens of the same head and reject almost all of them. He can feel even the tiniest of differences in weighting within a head. This is where I see you, @OldandStiff. You are an extremely skilled ball striker, who can detect very small differences in head design. This goes to comments you made in my personal thread about trying to get to scratch with respect to the need to change equipment as one’s swing changes.

Also within that set is a subset of golfers who are extremely skilled players with great swings, but they do not hone in on such minute details. I don’t want to speak for him, but maybe, for this discussion, @Canadan fits within this subset. He sometimes will be seen even a more forgiving profile, even though he clearly can play anything he would choose, including an unforgiving mb.

This may be where you are saying that the two profiles are different and others would say that they are basically the same type of head, targeted to the same player (which they are, when looking at the entire set, not just the subsets).

I can sort of see what both you and @JB are getting at. Certainly, both fit within the category of a player’s iron, an iron designed for a skilled ball striker, usually with decent ball speed and having a repeatable swing. Isn’t that what you, @JB, are getting at?

Within that set of golfer, there is a subset of are those who notice minute differences in golf clubs. Tiger is notorious for this. From what I have read, when testing out a new driver, he can be handed dozens of the same head and reject almost all of them. He can feel even the tiniest of differences in weighting within a head. This is where I see you, @OldandStiff. You are an extremely skilled ball striker, who can detect very small differences in head design. This goes to comments you made in my personal thread about trying to get to scratch with respect to the need to change equipment as one’s swing changes.

Also within that set is a subset of golfers who are extremely skilled players with great swings, but they do not hone in on such minute details. I don’t want to speak for him, but maybe, for this discussion, @Canadan fits within this subset. He sometimes will be seen even a more forgiving profile, even though he clearly can play anything he would choose, including an unforgiving mb.

This may be where you are saying that the two profiles are different and others would say that they are basically the same type of head, targeted to the same player (which they are, when looking at the entire set, not just the subsets).
I think we're a pretty discerning group in general around here and just all see the world and gear through slightly different eyes and swings. You're included in that. I know I learn plenty from more than just those guys, and you, about clubs and other gear and such all the time. @M2Giles has been rocketing me into another dimension on something just about every day lately, when I least expect it. It's awesome. Takes different takes to make it all go round, right?

Thank you for putting me in a Tiger comparison-ish statement btw. I could almost feel my life getting easier as I read that. :LOL::LOL:

Also, @Canadan is playing MB's next year. I read that on THP today, so it's truth.

View attachment 8977573View attachment 8977574
Tours a little longer and rounder, similar top lines, very similar soles, etc.

It's harder for me to judge forgiveness in irons until I get them out on the turf, but the comment, and what I saw and thought about when I put them next to each other, made me think that to him they might seem that similar in ways. Just stronger lofts and less spin. And I'm not sure which shape would inspire more confidence for people. Just food for thought.
These heads are relatively similar in what they are, yet look so different in size, I’m sure it’s the photo and how their angled but where the hosel meets the head on the zx7 I’m wondering what that is.

I very much enjoy hitting them, as well as profiles like the zx7.

But they scary.
I had a brief fling with the King Black mb/cbs. I shot a good score with them in July of ‘19. It was a perfect golf day. I thought, “Wow, these are awesome.” Then I went out when there was a 20 mph wind and the spin just made me feel totally incompetent. I went home crying to my mommy. After months of counseling, the nightmares finally ended. I knew that I could never again be tricked by such a wicked woman.

Quick update on the zx5's they have now made it out onto the course for 2 rounds.

Initial impressions they feel even better than I remember when I tested them :love: they are the closest feeling when struck well I can remember to a Mizuno TP9 hit out of the middle (for those of us who can remember them!)
Little bit of context I'm in the west of Scotland and we have to play off mats in the winter from the fairway and oddly this weekend hit the fairway quite a bit.
However, the shots out of the rough were the highlight as the v sole is amazing and I felt a much stronger/powerful strike from there rather than off the mat.
Distance wise I suspect they are slightly longer than the p790s they are replacing but I haven't had enough game time to confirm.
So far so good and I can't wait to hit them again at the weekend.
Oh and they are still very pretty

As always I have not sorted out the shafts in the PXG 0311T's yet and these sure sound (and look) good, luckily I cannot hit them for a while so the PXG are safe.

I would gravitate to the 5's game wise, but my eye wants the 7's.

@Jman dont you have some j15 irons? I recall those being almost universally loved and I think these are similar in shape.

If you have some, can you snap a couple comparisons?
Not the 15’s, but the J40’s which are still legendary irons. I’ll snap some after kiddo drop off. (y)

Shaft options are now available on their website. Some decent no upcharge options.. I think there is enough to keep everyone happy here. While this is not a driver thread. Check out the driver shaft options and upcharge costs.. Pretty awesome. Ventus for $175. Lin-Q for $105.. Not bad at all.

this is where i get really confused
srixon labels nippon neo 950 & elevate 95 as high launch high spin
titleist labels both ^ these shafts smack dab right in the middle as mid

this is where i get really confused
srixon labels nippon neo 950 & elevate 95 as high launch high spin
titleist labels both ^ these shafts smack dab right in the middle as mid

Yeah, these things can get confusing. I always defer to the manufacturer of the shaft for info.

Last edited:
Shaft options are now available on their website. Some decent no upcharge options.. I think there is enough to keep everyone happy here. While this is not a driver thread. Check out the driver shaft options and upcharge costs.. Pretty awesome. Ventus for $175. Lin-Q for $105.. Not bad at all.

Srixon is offering some serious shaft upgrades for very little upcharge.

Yeah, these things can get confusing. I always defer to the manufacturer of the shaft for info.
the other thing i wonder is when a shaft is labeled such and such is it for that specific head, meaning the shaft can play differently for a different head and then that makes it confusing......

the other thing i wonder is when a shaft is labeled such and such is it for that specific head, meaning the shaft can play differently for a different head and then that makes it confusing......

True but the shaft profile should be the shaft profile no matter which head it is in. Now, individual swing characteristics will always override any shaft profile. Meaning, a shaft can say it is low launch, but if you deliver a club in a certain way it may not launch low for you. It does not matter what the shaft, head combo says it should do. There is just what it will do for the individual..

In other words.. Get fit..:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Back