Callaway X Forged CB Irons Review

As much as I love Apex Pro, the 4 & 5 are not a perfect fit in combo with my Apex MB's, so I'm putting this out there (in here?) so I'll have to stick to it - I'm putting these in play starting Christmas. I'll never decide if I actually like them or not unless I stop trying them and actually play them. So I will. Christmas. Book it.

Any iron longer than 6i is dead to me :LOL:...I’m talking to you @OldandStiff :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Any iron longer than 6i is dead to me :LOL:...I’m talking to you @OldandStiff :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Lolwhat ??

I mean, I'll help you bury them if want.. No one said you need to play them. I'm good with a shovel too. And digging holes in general. Just ask my wife. :LOL:

As much as I love Apex Pro, the 4 & 5 are not a perfect fit in combo with my Apex MB's, so I'm putting this out there (in here?) so I'll have to stick to it - I'm putting these in play starting Christmas. I'll never decide if I actually like them or not unless I stop trying them and actually play them. So I will. Christmas. Book it.

Didn’t I just read you picked up a new set of Cobra’s?

:oops::oops::oops::oops:

Get it!!! They are awesome irons.

Didn’t I just read you picked up a new set of Cobra’s?
I did. That wasn't really planned, but I've started to whittle down and move some others so I'm going to give them a go.

:oops::oops::oops::oops:

Get it!!! They are awesome irons.
It's going to haaarrd to leave the MB's at home, but it'll be fun. I've wanted to like them from the start.

I read somewhere else from one of the Callaway staffers that the new ‘21 Apex Pro is better iron to combo with the new Apex MB’s than the X-Forged. Would be interesting given the rumour is the new Apex Pro is hollow body design, aka P770. Looking forward to hearing all about them in another 6 weeks or so.

I did. That wasn't really planned, but I've started to whittle down and move some others so I'm going to give them a go.
Nice, looking forward to hearing your thoughts

I kind of still want a 5i, and maybe a 6 from the CB to blend between the UT and MB's. Not bad enough to actually to anything about it since I can't actually get out and play, but I do like the thought.

I kind of still want a 5i, and maybe a 6 from the CB to blend between the UT and MB's. Not bad enough to actually to anything about it since I can't actually get out and play, but I do like the thought.
I liked that thought originally too. Because it makes sense. I don't know where I'll want to fit the CB's in any long term way. Those MB's are so good. I'm going to take the CB's out at least once or twice just them, and then try to play 4-7 like a normal person for a bit I think. I had originally planned that, or at least 4-6, but Apex MB.. mm.

I'm done hemming and hawing about playing these though. I thought about selling them to a certain THP'er real cheap, and then in a moment of blinding clarity I thought 'maybe I should just shut up and PLAY them'. :p Offset be damned!

I don't think the UT will stay in my bag. I've enjoyed it, but the 770 3i is a better fit for me in just about every way. Same or better performance for me in a much smaller package. Big irons with stuff in the back just get in my head. I don't swing them as well. Going to try the ZX UT though. It looks sharp. I'm going to make a frankenhybrid to try to work back in after the new year, too.

I liked that thought originally too. Because it makes sense. I don't know where I'll want to fit the CB's in any long term way. Those MB's are so good. I'm going to take the CB's out at least once or twice just them, and then try to play 4-7 like a normal person for a bit I think. I had originally planned that, or at least 4-6, but Apex MB.. mm.

I'm done hemming and hawing about playing these though. I thought about selling them to a certain THP'er real cheap, and then in a moment of blinding clarity I thought 'maybe I should just shut up and PLAY them'. :p Offset be damned!

I don't think the UT will stay in my bag. I've enjoyed it, but the 770 3i is a better fit for me in just about every way. Same or better performance for me in a much smaller package. Big irons with stuff in the back just get in my head. I don't swing them as well. Going to try the ZX UT though. It looks sharp. I'm going to make a frankenhybrid to try to work back in after the new year, too.

Yes, play those, offset be damned. It's visual, the actual numbers are OK.

Somewhat related, I can post some photos of the ZXU next to the Callaway UT. I've been slacking on getting the ZXU over to the golf store to hit with other things going on, and have not given enough attention to that club. The ZXU has a thinner top line by a touch, I was pleasantly surprised.

Yes, play those, offset be damned. It's visual, the actual numbers are OK.

Somewhat related, I can post some photos of the ZXU next to the Callaway UT. I've been slacking on getting the ZXU over to the golf store to hit with other things going on, and have not given enough attention to that club. The ZXU has a thinner top line by a touch, I was pleasantly surprised.

COMPARISON PICTURES?!?

COMPARISON PICTURES?!?

LOL there literally has not been a single sunny or even brightly overcast day during the last week to step outside and take a halfway decent picture of the ZXU. Might be overstating things, but argh...

I need to get to work.

LOL there literally has not been a single sunny or even brightly overcast day during the last week to step outside and take a halfway decent picture of the ZXU. Might be overstating things, but argh...

I need to get to work.
Weather de-motivation sucks. 👊

You know what doesn't though? Pictures of hot golf clubs. Do it.

20201218_183917.jpg

Bringing a few of these with me. You know, just in case..

Last edited:
Back