Hitting it too long?

Dent

MIA
Reaction score
Handicap
Recently I went out and played yesterday and found myself hitting my irons way longer compared to last year. I am not sure if I am de-lofting the club or if my swing is just better and more powerful but I got kind of thrown off and missed a lot of greens. It is mainly in my shorter irons and It felt as if I was hitting my irons actually too far to be comfortable.

I am trying to figure out at one point in my swing could there be a possibility of de-lofting the club without noticing? I know it is not at address before the swing because I looked at that, but can an improper wrist hinge cause the club to de-loft as well?

I think if possible I'd love to tone it down a little bit and would like to find out if I am de-lofting. Just wondering what I should look for in the swing to see signs of it.

Thanks guys,

Dent

Maybe your PW got jealous and made itself 45* :p

Nah, I'm going through that right now as I'm hitting my irons more solidly than ever. It's a good thing. With a little time you'll be loving it.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

Maybe your PW got jealous and made itself 45* :p

Nah, I'm going through that right now as I'm hitting my irons more solidly than ever. It's a good thing. With a little time you'll be loving it.

I hope so TC, it feels like I will only need a 8,9,PW now because it seems that is all I use.

I hope so TC, it feels like I will only need a 8,9,PW now because it seems that is all I use.

Are you playing from the tips?

Are you playing from the tips?

Most definitely. I was just exaggerating a little bit with quote to explain how much i've gained in distance. It just didn't feel normal hitting 150 yard PW's and 162 yard 9 irons.

Most definitely. I was just exaggerating a little bit with quote to explain how much i've gained in distance. It just didn't feel normal hitting 150 yard PW's and 162 yard 9 irons.

No wonder you don't need strong lofted irons dude, those are some pokes. It's a good thing really. You'll get it worked out bud.

Ahh, the woes of skilled golfers. You'll be complaining on too many birdies next ;)
Lol, I'm just kidding with ya.

Could you maybe try swinging 80% or 75? Dialling back your swing might give you a little bit of extra control while winding the distances back to a more respectable figure. 150 yard PW's are indecent!

No wonder you don't need strong lofted irons dude, those are some pokes. It's a good thing really. You'll get it worked out bud.

I think so in the long run I will like it as well, I just hope I'm not kidding myself by unknowingly delofting my 9 iron into a 7 the whole time. :D

Ahh, the woes of skilled golfers. You'll be complaining on too many birdies next ;)
Lol, I'm just kidding with ya.

Could you maybe try swinging 80% or 75? Dialling back your swing might give you a little bit of extra control while winding the distances back to a more respectable figure. 150 yard PW's are indecent!

Haha I don't mean to brag or anything but I just wanted to throw out a small figure to give a clear example of what I am dealing with. Just felt really odd to me to be hitting like that.

You bring up a good point. I'll have to work on that and give it a try!

I think so in the long run I will like it as well, I just hope I'm not kidding myself by unknowingly delofting my 9 iron into a 7 the whole time. :D

Are your hands well ahead of the ball at address?

That's a good problem to have Dent!

Are your hands well ahead of the ball at address?

Not at all. I even have a tendency to have them behind. One thing I think might be a factor like I said is the wrist hinge for me. I keep my wrists dead straight until I'm at the top of the backswing and then I hinge. I have a feeling because obviously I can't look that I may be de-lofting in the process.

Then you aren't delofting a ton. Sounds like your weight work is just paying off. That's awesome man! Just keep practicing.

Then you aren't delofting a ton. Sounds like your weight work is just paying off. That's awesome man! Just keep practicing.

Thanks TC. I am certainly not complaining about it, but just thought I'd bring it up because I am always interested in Mechanics. I have a lesson May 10th and also brought this up with my pro. I will refer back to this thread and give an update on what it actually is when I have my lesson.

If you've been hitting the gym hard, that could be your answer. I'm easily a club to 1-1/2 clubs longer this year after hitting the gym hard since October. I've always worked-out but since then, I've gone heavy and hit core uber-hard.

If you've been hitting the gym hard, that could be your answer. I'm easily a club to 1-1/2 clubs longer this year after hitting the gym hard since October. I've always worked-out but since then, I've gone heavy and hit core uber-hard.

That could also be another solution WMac. To be honest I didn't think it would make that much of a difference but I guess it does.

Was going to suggest getting your specs verified on the irons, but those are cast, right? If they were forged they could be bent out of shape. Anyway, your swing is simply better I bet. When I was a younger man and lifted I actually saw a distance loss due to being less flexible.

That is a problem most of us wish we had. lol

Was going to suggest getting your specs verified on the irons, but those are cast, right? If they were forged they could be bent out of shape. Anyway, your swing is simply better I bet. When I was a younger man and lifted I actually saw a distance loss due to being less flexible.

Yes they are cast, and as well that is what I hear from most people.

That is a problem most of us wish we had. lol

Haha, I guess that's true, i'd love to hand off some distance gain to you if I could wc :D

I just experienced the same feeling today Dent. I haven't played all year when it hasn't been windy with 10mph+ breezes and gusts much higher. When at the range I have always had a head, tail or cross wind going on. Well today it was completely calm, and I was very surprised by my distances. My normal 7i used to be 155yds, today I was 185-190yds. Had to laser the flags 3x to make sure. 9i used to be about 130yds for me, today 155yds every time on the green. For me it has been a combination of practice and some working out, but not much, mostly practicing since end of last year. Ball striking with my irons has improved 100% over the last 3 months, it's just like something finally clicked in my brain and I understand my swing a lot better than I used to. So much so that I am hitting fades, draws, stingers, you name it on command. It's obviously a great feeling, but weird at the same time lol.

Back