Drivers - Hype vs Reality

Marketing is huge, but it isn't the most important. Availability in the marketplace is bigger. There is a reason why I don't play Bridgestone, Exotics by Tour Edge, or Srixon clubs. I can't find them to try. I may have seen a print add for the J38 driver, I may have heard some fantastic reviews of the Z-Star driver. I have read the hotlist reviews of the Tour Edge Driver. But I can't find them in stores. I can't get a club into my hand. I may see an ad, I may hear fantastic reviews. But I need to hit the club. Crackomatic may make the best driver in the history of forever, but unless it is a proshop near me, I am never going to see it much less try it and then buy it.

What he said. I'm really interested in the Z-Star, but it's like an easter egg hunt finding one much less finding one to hit.

That wasnt really my point and I certainly dont think that people will get the same results out of different equipment just because they are all "quality products". My point was that your saying you would pass up an R11 driver based on its popularity even if it performed better for you than any other driver on the market.
Actually I'd pass on the R11 because it's white.:silly: I'm not really good enough where any driver would be dominant over any other. I can duck hook any of them.

Not for you because of performance results or market share?
The answer to that would be both. There's an old saying from my racing days. If you're following... you'll never lead.
That's why I'll usually take a different path.

The answer to that would be both. There's an old saying from my racing days. If you're following... you'll never lead.
That's why I'll usually take a different path.

Interesting perspective. Personally I'm not sure that I agree. But if you're ok with it, then enjoy.

What he said. I'm really interested in the Z-Star, but it's like an easter egg hunt finding one much less finding one to hit.
Absolutely! I just got lucky. The club pro at my course got one for his personal use. Of course it was set up for him, with a stiff shaft, and a bit lower, and more open than I would hit, but he said that it would be correctable for me.

Interesting perspective. Personally I'm not sure that I agree. But if you're ok with it, then enjoy.
That's the great thing about golf (and life). Lots of different ways to get to the same place.
Shoot well my friend.

I have two things going against me 1. Living in Asia where, sometimes for cultural reasons, there are not a lot of lefties, and 2. Image here is everything and so people won't be seen dead playing a brand of club that is not "in".

Most guys here, that I know, have never gone out and tried different clubs at open days to see what suits them. They will buy what they want to be seen on the course with.

I went with PING because, at the time when I bought them, the G15 series, especially the driver, was getting rave reviews on every forum that I looked at. I tried to demo this driver when I was in Singapore for a weekend and could not find a LH G15 driver to try anywhere, and Sg. is the Asian centre for PING.

I finally managed to try one out here in Jakarta, that and a Titleist and went with The G15 cos it rocked. I will hit/try any club that I have seen good reports about but, as many have already said, sometimes there is a club that you would like to try but you can't find one. Marketing is huge, yes but many forums also test only the top brands, so someone like me who is starved for choices, will make decisions based on reviews found on the internet and club availability.

Just as an add-on last year the G15 was on every list and talked about on every forum now it's last year's news, how would it stand up against the R11. Now that's marketing.

Back