How long till we see a full set of Hybrids??

Jason89er

Working hard to escape golf mediocrity purgatory…
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I can’t help but wonder how long it will be before a major manufacturer ie Ping, Callaway, Cobra makes a set of full hybrids. 2-PW. I don’t mean hybrid irons like Cleveland Hibores. Full sized true hybrids. Ping’s new G425s Hybrids are available in a 34 degree 7 Hybrid. Regular flex. Last year the G410s introduced a 30 degree 6 Hybrid. So they are slowly creeping in that direction. You can of course buy full hybrid sets on eBay ect from various companies but not from a big boy company yet. As a fan of hybrids I will most definitely be trying out the new G425 7 to go with my Ping G410 2-6 Hybrids.

I think as the stigma goes away (and it may never fully go away) companies will realize there is truly a market for this. I didn’t start out playing golf with hybrids but I just hit them so well I really could not come up with a reason not to play them. I have a 7,8,9 from a company that I bought on eBay. I use regular wedges from there. I for one will be the first in line to get a 8,9 and possibly PW Hybrid from Ping if they ever make them.

A278B819-0577-4A65-A735-1E31CDA30135.jpeg

I’m going with another 2-4 years. While I think it’s more of a niche in the industry, someone will make them. Look at OL. Companies make them, but there is really only one main stream brand that is putting a lot of stock in it.

One of my buddies bought a full set that were all hybrids years ago. He had them for about 6 months and got rid of them. They were awful. Can’t remember what brand they were.

One of my buddies bought a full set that were all hybrids years ago. He had them for about 6 months and got rid of them. They were awful. Can’t remember what brand they were.

That’s kind of my point. They were most likely one of the off brand no name companies you find on eBay ect. Imagine if a major brand sunk their tech into a set. I mean if you are going all the way to 34 degrees it’s not a stretch to make 3 more clubs and call it a set.

I would rock the heck out of a set of Ping G425 2-7 hybrids with some i210s 8-U if I could get them fitted. I imagine the game would be so much easier 1 down in the open setting!

At the time I purchased them, (2-LW) the Tour Edge Bazooka Ironwoods were discribed as hybrids. That was few decades ago.

Still have them, and still play them from time, to time.

I suppose it would come down to demand. Would there really be enough people needing assistance with launch etc on a 9i / PW lofted club to warrant a hybrid in that slot?

I think as the stigma goes away (and it may never fully go away) companies will realize there is truly a market for this.

There is a market.. and there are major manufacturers catering to it. Cleveland's Launcher line has been out for awhile.

There isn't "stigma" attached to these setups. they just lack any versatility and won't benefit anyone but older golfers who need a lot of help with launch and distance.

Given I like hitting hybrids, I dabbled in the all hybrid set a few years back.
Bought the Acer XDS React hybrids from Hireko Golf.. 6-AW

When they came in, they had big bulky head covers on them. I put them in the bag and couldn't get past how crowded the bag setup looked with 14 head covers.
I hit them at an indoor golf dome as it was winter here and liked them but unfortunately they never made it to the course. Just couldn't get past them all needing covers to stay looking good.

My buddy bought a set of one length Pinhawk hybrids 4-PW a couple years ago. I had the chance to hit them on the course. On comparative shots with my irons. So say 135 out with my 8i vs his 8h, I was pin hunting with his 8h. Super fun clubs to hit but once again to keep them looking nice (avoiding paint chatter) you'd have to keep covers on them.
Also when it came to the wedges I did not care for the hybrid wedges. Just seemed more wild than a normal wedge.

It's too niche of an offering for the biggest manufacturers to justify the R&D. As previously mentioned as well, if you're having a hard time launching the short irons you're probably pretty far gone and need lessons. Also, it would be stupid expensive and the result might very well be worse than the SGI irons already on the market (and some of those SGI lines actually being really good for the target demographic).

they hav ebeen offered, but not by a top golf company. made for old people, SENIORS, as they call them.
i came up with an idea for irons that have a snap on hybrids like option , but nobody thinks its good,
TAKING INVESTMENTS.

It's too niche of an offering for the biggest manufacturers to justify the R&D. As previously mentioned as well, if you're having a hard time launching the short irons you're probably pretty far gone and need lessons. Also, it would be stupid expensive and the result might very well be worse than the SGI irons already on the market (and some of those SGI lines actually being really good for the target demographic).
i dont think its too niche, if its a utlitiy club or smaller add on.

I see your points here. But I tend to think that was the consensus 5 years ago as well. But here we are with Ping and Callaway making hybrids all the way up to 34 degrees. I don’t really think it’s about making it easier to get the ball in the air as much as it’s about having a full set that matches for gapping and swing consistency. I hit my standard irons somewhat differently than I hit my hybrids. Now clearly they would be pretty expensive but if they could offer some kind of “short iron” set almost as an add on that would make sense. Offer the standard 3-PW, 3,4 Hybrids with 5-PW iron set. Then have a 6-PW Hrybrid set that could supplement someone who buys the others separately or uses Fairway woods instead of long irons. Ping makes a 9 Wood too so it’s not a stretch really.

As we all know Golf is really hard. And if equipment can offer a way to make it a little easier for us mere mortals than why not? I get some looks when paired up with other players sometimes but that quickly turns into asking questions when I go out and shoot in the low 80s most rounds. (My short game helps too) It turns into “What club did you just hit?” When I show them a 6 Hybrid that just landed the ball on the green it turns into “Huh. You are pretty good with those.” Now will scratch/single digit players ever want them? Well no. But considering only about 25-30% of golfers can break 90 it would be aimed at the other 70-75%. And that’s a lot.

I actually hit the G425 7-Hybrid last week. Honestly thought it looked ridiculous in the demo bag, and gave it a shot for fun. It was suprisingly difficult for me to hit well. After hitting the 2 and 3 hybrids so well, I expected it to be a cakewalk, but I don't think I "centered" one single hit out of a good 7-8 balls. Or at least it didn't feel that way in comparison.

I am nowhere near the target audience for this type of club, but if I can't hit it well I'm not sure how a high-handicap player would be expected to. A regular 7-iron is sooo much easier to hit than what I experienced. I'd recommend a blade 7-iron to a new player over the 7 hybrid I hit.

I actually hit the G425 7-Hybrid last week. Honestly thought it looked ridiculous in the demo bag, and gave it a shot for fun. It was suprisingly difficult for me to hit well. After hitting the 2 and 3 hybrids so well, I expected it to be a cakewalk, but I don't think I "centered" one single hit out of a good 7-8 balls. Or at least it didn't feel that way in comparison.

I am nowhere near the target audience for this type of club, but if I can't hit it well I'm not sure how a high-handicap player would be expected to. A regular 7-iron is sooo much easier to hit than what I experienced. I'd recommend a blade 7-iron to a new player over the 7 hybrid I hit.

I’m a big fan of hybrids. I hit the G425 6h yesterday as I’m looking for a 5i replacement. It hit the intended yardage, spin and descent angle I was looking for. And with my swing would be much easier to hit than a 5i and I play large hollow body irons. So while it may not work for you others may find a totally opposite conclusion .
I think one thing that needs to be considered too is the shaft length of that 7h is going to be longer than a 7i. It’s 38.25” and the way ping measures is to the end of the shaft so with a grip will be 38.5”. To where a normal 7i is around 37” these days. In my experience hybrids usually replace an iron stronger than the number stamped on it because of the longer than an iron shaft length. So for example for me If I were to use a g425 7h it would replace my 6i and so on.

I see your points here. But I tend to think that was the consensus 5 years ago as well. But here we are with Ping and Callaway making hybrids all the way up to 34 degrees. I don’t really think it’s about making it easier to get the ball in the air as much as it’s about having a full set that matches for gapping and swing consistency. I hit my standard irons somewhat differently than I hit my hybrids. Now clearly they would be pretty expensive but if they could offer some kind of “short iron” set almost as an add on that would make sense. Offer the standard 3-PW, 3,4 Hybrids with 5-PW iron set. Then have a 6-PW Hrybrid set that could supplement someone who buys the others separately or uses Fairway woods instead of long irons. Ping makes a 9 Wood too so it’s not a stretch really.

As we all know Golf is really hard. And if equipment can offer a way to make it a little easier for us mere mortals than why not? I get some looks when paired up with other players sometimes but that quickly turns into asking questions when I go out and shoot in the low 80s most rounds. (My short game helps too) It turns into “What club did you just hit?” When I show them a 6 Hybrid that just landed the ball on the green it turns into “Huh. You are pretty good with those.” Now will scratch/single digit players ever want them? Well no. But considering only about 25-30% of golfers can break 90 it would be aimed at the other 70-75%. And that’s a lot.

I just think you're over-valuing how much of the market would buy them to justify producing them in the first place. I've never even seen a set of Cleveland Launchers in real life so I think it's something that's specific to you and potentially Mark Crossfield (lol).

I just think you're over-valuing how much of the market would buy them to justify producing them in the first place. I've never even seen a set of Cleveland Launchers in real life so I think it's something that's specific to you and potentially Mark Crossfield (lol).

The Cleveland Launchers have actually been a pretty big hit in the market place, so much so that it has spawned 2-3 other companies to create similar designs. Thousands and thousands of sets have been sold each year.

The Cleveland Launchers have actually been a pretty big hit in the market place, so much so that it has spawned 2-3 other companies to create similar designs. Thousands and thousands of sets have been sold each year.

I guess I could just be wrong, but like I said, I've never seen them in the wild.

I think its a good idea. As one has said, golf is hard. Some people hit irons good, some hit woods good, and some people hit hybrids great. I am in the latter category. I hit irons fine but the way I hit hybrids has me wondering what it would be like to hit all hybrids. They are so easy to hit for me and lessen the chance of thins and chunks. so it may be a niche the big companies should pursue.

I own a set of the Cleveland Launchers and love them. I think there are quite a few members of this forum that own them as well. They are very easy to hit, great loft, and very forgiving on an off center hit. I have 4 iron through a D wedge. I have a pretty average swing speed, hitting my driver about 225-230 carry per my Skytrak. They have made my game better and more enjoyable.

I own a set of the Cleveland Launchers and love them. I think there are quite a few members of this forum that own them as well. They are very easy to hit, great loft, and very forgiving on an off center hit. I have 4 iron through a D wedge. I have a pretty average swing speed, hitting my driver about 225-230 carry per my Skytrak. They have made my game better and more enjoyable.
Are these the ones you own? 1611065288744.png

The Launchers are about as close a major manufacturer has come to a full hybrid set. A full true hybrid set would be more like these. But most likely better quality and tech.

Someone mentioned the Pinkhawk set. Here they are below. These are also OL so talk about a niche? These are a double niche I suppose. Would be fun to try them out.

1C2A7003-4599-44B3-B062-2666DD31D181.jpeg

They are not in stores yet here locally for a couple weeks. I’m hoping my experience is better! Since I love my G410 6 Hybrid I’m thinking it will be.

I can’t help but wonder how long it will be before a major manufacturer ie Ping, Callaway, Cobra makes a set of full hybrids. 2-PW. I don’t mean hybrid irons like Cleveland Hibores. Full sized true hybrids. Ping’s new G425s Hybrids are available in a 34 degree 7 Hybrid. Regular flex. Last year the G410s introduced a 30 degree 6 Hybrid. So they are slowly creeping in that direction. You can of course buy full hybrid sets on eBay ect from various companies but not from a big boy company yet. As a fan of hybrids I will most definitely be trying out the new G425 7 to go with my Ping G410 2-6 Hybrids.

I think as the stigma goes away (and it may never fully go away) companies will realize there is truly a market for this. I didn’t start out playing golf with hybrids but I just hit them so well I really could not come up with a reason not to play them. I have a 7,8,9 from a company that I bought on eBay. I use regular wedges from there. I for one will be the first in line to get a 8,9 and possibly PW Hybrid from Ping if they ever make them.

View attachment 8988861

Cobra already makes one. Cleveland has one as well, I would consider them major, as does wilson and and a few others.

Back