Srixon ZX5 and ZX7 Irons Review

I think the 787/ZX7 are pretty similar forgiveness wise, but I think the ZX5 offers more than the 585 and feels a whole lot better.

Hello Coach - you found the ZX5 just as or more forgiving than the 585s?

I think you are correct in your thinking. I go to 5 iron in the ZX7 ( I don't hit the 5 very often) but have no issues with the 6 iron at all. Granted I am not hitting a 6iron 205y but for the range I hit it it works fine for me. Everyone is different and will have different feels and results. I would definitely hit them and see how it works out.

I agree. Also I think it's why combo sets have become popular. Golfers have different needs and I can see a ZX7 player going ZX5 in the long irons and ZX7 in the 8-AW. Best of both worlds.

After testing several irons I always come back to the v-sole working extremely well for me. Currently back to playing the OG PTx irons. For the people who have tried both the new ZX series and the PTx Pro's which would you say have the best iteration / execution of the v-sole?
Hopefully I should have some answers on this shortly when my combo set arrives, as I am playing the PTx Pros currently.

I think you are correct in your thinking. I go to 5 iron in the ZX7 ( I don't hit the 5 very often) but have no issues with the 6 iron at all. Granted I am not hitting a 6iron 205y but for the range I hit it it works fine for me. Everyone is different and will have different feels and results. I would definitely hit them and see how it works out.

Thanks. I really think I will enjoy these irons. Most likely I will hit them to test before I buy anything. But these are the closest I have come to buying a new set of irons without even seeing them in person. I literally go one day at a time. :love:

Similar in forgiveness as both are a one piece cavity back players iron. Both are amazing for what they are, but they’re both still pretty demanding irons for average golfers imo

It also comes down to what sort of help is needed.

If you need launch and ball speed no cavity back iron will provide this. You’ll need a fast faced hollow body iron with low CG weighting.

If you need help on off centred strikes the ZX7 has plenty. You would need to go into a big shovel game improvement iron to get any meaningful gain. The downside will be carry distance inconsistency.

If you are a high handicap player who is steep or hits fat shots the ZX7 will get through turf better than any big iron.

If you struggle with hitting longer clubs more generally then play a 5 hybrid.

That gap wedge is ridiculously good looking at address.
I had no intention of buying the gap wedge but we'll have to see how it goes.
Bojo has announced that it's unlikely that we will be out of lockdown before Easter so the date that I get to try, get fit and buy is getting pushed further and further back.
I think I'll be going ZX7 5-PW and maybe the GW.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

It also comes down to what sort of help is needed.

If you need launch and ball speed no cavity back iron will provide this. You’ll need a fast faced hollow body iron with low CG weighting.

If you need help on off centred strikes the ZX7 has plenty. You would need to go into a big shovel game improvement iron to get any meaningful gain. The downside will be carry distance inconsistency.

If you are a high handicap player who is steep or hits fat shots the ZX7 will get through turf better than any big iron.

If you struggle with hitting longer clubs more generally then play a 5 hybrid.
That’s true, well some of it, but the basic statement remains true, these are small profile, minimally perimeter weighted, one piece forged cavity backs that are not designed to be a forgiving iron.

That’s true, well some of it, but the basic statement remains true, these are small profile, minimally perimeter weighted, one piece forged cavity backs that are not designed to be a forgiving iron.

I get it.. I'm just stating that iron forgiveness should be measured by more than what happens to an off centered strike.

There are instances where cavity backs will be more forgiving e.g. fat shots (gets through turf better this retaining more ball speed), pulls (the miss won't be as long as a hot faced iron) etc.

I took a look at them in the store and they looked amazing. They only had one set of each that were still wrapped in plastic.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger and ordered a set of ZX5s to replace my 565s. I normally don't get irons sight unseen, but love my 565s and feel like these will be just as good. I didn't really need new irons but....

Pretty excited that we are giving a set of these away tomorrow during the THP Showcase.

Pretty excited that we are giving a set of these away tomorrow during the THP Showcase.
Going to be a great Friday for .....

Just watched the Instagram video and man, now I am rethinking my decision to go with the ZX7 in the 7i spot of my combo set. After seeing @Canadan annihilate golf balls with the ZX5 8i, it’s clear that the ZX5 is a heck of a golf club. I think I may be testing the forgiveness limits of the ZX7 7i.
I played a 565/765 set before. My 565 were 4-6i, but I wish they went to 7i. If I did another Srixon combo it would be ZX5 in the 4-7, but I'm also pondering just all ZX5 :unsure:

I played a 565/765 set before. My 565 were 4-6i, but I wish they went to 7i. If I did another Srixon combo it would be ZX5 in the 4-7, but I'm also pondering just all ZX5 :unsure:

That is awesome, what a great way to end a spectacular week for THP. Same start time for the live thread? I am out in the field tomorrow so want to make sure I’m somewhere with cell service so I don’t miss the show

Great conversation in here on the ZX5 vs the ZX7. I for one am so glad Srixon is getting this much talk stirred up. Their iron sets are fantastic looking, and perform equally as well. I loved my 565/765 set, and feel that if they give Srixon a try, they will be very glad they did. Cant wait for Srixon day tomorrow!!

Last edited:
Really interesting discussion taking place in here on forgiveness. My take would be that the ZX7 is a fairly demanding players iron that will let you know when you miss, and that it's also more forgiving than some in its category, but not outside it.

They have a fairly small cavity and obviously lack some of the trail meat of a few others with their V sole. One piece, non-tech face, etc. Player's iron.

They're also larger than some peers by a fair amount overall. They have a great shape and overall look imo (remember I like them, play them, and LIKE THEM) , but are definitely longer and taller than a lot of ones in the category. Heck, they're longer and taller than 770's, and Mav Pros, and those aren't even really in the same category I don't think. They also have a medium thick/thin top line for the category imo. Nothing too skinny. They're welcoming over the ball. The overall sole width isn't super thin either. Much more there than say an X Forged CB. So it's been my assertion to those who've asked me, that their 'forgiveness' (perceived by comparison to similar-ish ones) is based solely in overall size, and tungsten in the toe of the long irons. That's pretty much it. And I know it's not their irons but I love how Vosh always explains the design of their irons (and blade length especially) in terms of running into forgiveness/playability issues when going any smaller with some of the models. Overall size matters.

I think I said in my initial thoughts that they get pretty darn player in the long irons, and I still think that. With the stronger lofts, lack of tech help and junk in the trunk, you gotta get after 'em well. Then more in line with some others and more forgiving than some others as they get shorter. That's my take.

I'm really excited to see who wins the set tomorrow because they really are great clubs. I'm taking mine out in the morning. :)

Last edited:
Really interesting discussion taking place in here on forgiveness. My take would be that the ZX7 is a fairly demanding players iron that will let you know when you miss, and that it's also more forgiving than some in its category, but not outside it.

They have a fairly small cavity and obviously lack some of the trail meat of a few others with their V sole. One piece, non-tech face, etc. Player's iron.

They're also larger than some peers by a fair amount overall. They have a great shape and overall look imo (remember I like them, play them, and LIKE THEM) , but are definitely longer and taller than a lot of ones in the category. Heck, they're longer and taller than 770's, and Mav Pros, and those aren't even really in the same category I don't think. They also have a medium thick/thin top line for the category imo. Nothing too skinny. They're welcoming over the ball. The overall sole width isn't super thin either. Much more there than say an X Forged CB. So it's been my assertion to those who've asked me, that their 'forgiveness' (perceived by comparison to similar-ish ones) is based solely in overall size, and tungsten in the toe of the long irons. That's pretty much it. And I know it's not their irons but I love how Vosh always explains the design of their irons (and blade length especially) in terms of running into forgiveness/playability issues when going any smaller with some of the models. Overall size matters.

I think I said in my initial thoughts that they get pretty darn player in the long irons, and I still think that. With the stronger lofts, lack of tech help and junk in the trunk, you gotta get after 'em well. Then more in line with some others and more forgiving than some others as they get shorter. That's my take.

I'm really excited to see who wins the set tomorrow because they really are great clubs. I'm taking mine out in the morning. :)

longer heel to toe than mav pro? didn’t expect that.

longer heel to toe than mav pro? didn’t expect that.
20210121_220628.jpg

It's real close. That's both hosels flush up against the edge of the counter. Totally different faces, feels, and forgiveness though obviously.

Question - did you know I would take a picture? Lol

View attachment 8989688

It's real close. That's both hosels flush up against the edge of the counter. Totally different faces, feels, and forgiveness though obviously.

Question - did you know I would take a picture? Lol
Haha, so exactly how many sets do you have in your arsenal?

I've been gaming a set of Mizuno MP18-SC's for the past 2 years. Now, I am NOT a great ball striker by any means but have enjoyed this set immensely. Paired with Recoils they are just so much fun to hit. A great ball striker would be throwing darts into the greens with them. Me, I do fine with the scoring irons and it's hit and miss with the 6-4. No iron will totally forgive a mishit ball no matter what the tech IMO. Mitigate yes, forgive no.
I ordered a combo set of ZX5's and 7's w/Recoils, split at the 6-7 and am not worried about the forgiveness factor at all. I doubt that the 7's will be any more demanding than the MP's are now. Based on the feedback here and elsewhere, I'm really looking forward to getting and hitting them.

I see the ZX7 as being somewhat of an outcast in its category. It isn't small like other Players CBs, it doesn't have "tech" like the Players Distance Clubs, it has strong lofts similar to Players Distance Clubs but also is a solid forging like a Players CB. It seems to give and take from both categories. I have played Players CBs for the last several seasons. Most recently playing the Miura TC201, Honma TR20V, Ping iBlade and Nike Vapor Pro Combo. The Srixon ZX7 are the longer, heel to toe, then most in its category. They do have strong lofts, but I don't see many players struggle with launch/spin as long as they are paired with a functional shaft. I actually hit the ZX irons 10-15 feet higher on average than my Miura TC201s and the Miura's were 1.5* weaker than the ZX7s. Loft doesn't always translate to launch with irons and I think that Srixon has done a great job with these irons. I will most likely bend the ZX7s 1* weak to get my distances back to where I'm used to AND to knock out some of the offset. That's one my favorite parts about the stronger lofted Player CBs... having the option to take out some offset by weakening the lofts.

I thought the 785s were too long, heel to toe. I don't know if these are any longer or shorter, but the ZX7s don't bother me like the 785s did. I do think the ZX5s are an incredibly good set in their category though. In my opinion the ZX5 sits more comfortably in its category than the ZX7s. I will update after I get my first round in with them, but so far I am very pleased with my switch.

Back