Srixon ZX5 and ZX7 Irons Review

Are you saying the roll out was longer than you expected? Otherwise your review seems great, as well as your golf game.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
Yeah. I noticed right away that they were a little lower spinning for me than what I had been playing leading up to them last year. They were stronger lofted too, but I switched balls to try to get more during round one I think. Took them a little weak shortly after and like I said it's been pretty soft since. Was playing my normal TP5 today and had a couple end up releasing a bit more than I like. Could have just landed them on subtle downslopes or some other little thing because it wasn't constant like when I first got them. That could be that the greens are drying out at different rates too. No way to know but to keep playing them, which I surely will do. (y)

This is huge right here and says so much about how the iron is made and performs. I hit some knockdowns today against the wind that played out extremely well.

They are pretty player like that. I'd say the chances are high I'll bring them on that trip to NE this year. I kind of have an itch to play them on some prairie links that needs scratched.

I have no intention of changing from my Z785/Z-Forged combo set, but I am definitely curious about the ZX7 to see how they compare to the Z785 irons in my bag

Maybe once things open up and I get a few rounds in, I might try and hit the ZX7 and see how it feels and performs - it would likely have to be at the place I was fitted for my current set though as stores here in the UK don't often carry much other than stock setups, so with me needing irons 1" longer and 2° upright, I need to go somewhere with those kinds of options

They are pretty player like that. I'd say the chances are high I'll bring them on that trip to NE this year. I kind of have an itch to play them on some prairie links that needs scratched.

Curious, what courses are you thinking of playing and what time of year are you visiting? Ever play Iron Horse in Ashland?

Trackman Session early this morning.
Very impressed with the efficiency/smash factor of these clubs. I'm not a super fast swinger (102-3mph Driver SS), but these distances are about what I got with the JPX 921 Forged and the PXG Gen 3Ps. Spin was slightly up from those clubs but not by much, maybe 2-400 rpms.
7iron:
1615220452992.png
5iron (loft is incorrectly labeled in upper right but didn't know how to change that):
1615220486638.png

Very surprised that I hit these as well as the other clubs, and they feel so good. Pretty happy today. Also played a simulated back 9 holes at pebble and hit 7 GIR. Just need to see how it holds up in real life.

The ZX5's got another two rounds in over the weekend and again I can only say that the love affair continues.:love:
The swing is slowly coming together and I am really starting to see a consistency of strike which brings a smile to my face ever time.
Coming from the p790's I am seeing a much better flight (higher and straighter) with plenty of stop on all clubs, I was fit into the standard Modus3 105 in stiff and it certainly works for me.
Distance wise the air is still cold and heavy over here in the UK, but I am seeing at least a club longer compared to p790's and will be interested to see what warmer air brings too.
The star of the show for me is still the vt sole, I love the ball turf interaction and the feeling of such solid contact is so addictive.
Can't wait to get out and hit them again!

The ZX5's got another two rounds in over the weekend and again I can only say that the love affair continues.:love:
The swing is slowly coming together and I am really starting to see a consistency of strike which brings a smile to my face ever time.
Coming from the p790's I am seeing a much better flight (higher and straighter) with plenty of stop on all clubs, I was fit into the standard Modus3 105 in stiff and it certainly works for me.
Distance wise the air is still cold and heavy over here in the UK, but I am seeing at least a club longer compared to p790's and will be interested to see what warmer air brings too.
The star of the show for me is still the vt sole, I love the ball turf interaction and the feeling of such solid contact is so addictive.
Can't wait to get out and hit them again!
Sounds like you will be going pretty low all summer long!!!! :golf2:

I love how the ZX7s feel but finding out that Keegan Bradley plays a combo set for his 4 and 5 irons makes me think I shouldn't be playing the longer irons in the 7s.

Eh
If you like them don’t worry. Just have fun.

Eh
If you like them don’t worry. Just have fun.
Well, actually, after going to the trackman today, I hit my 5 iron great and will keep that in the bag. I hit the 4 iron well too but think I'll keep my hybrid in the bag for now since it's a little more forgiving in tougher lies.

Got the call that my irons are in! Will head over to PGATSS later this afternoon.

Picked up my ZX5's this afternoon. Going to take them to my lesson tomorrow along with my current irons. Will report back how they are.

While I continue to wait, musings. I was so sure I wanted a combo set, whatever irons I picked. Hitting the 7i and 6i ZX7’s on multiple occasions, however, I felt a full set through 4i would be fine for me. I hit the local pro’s 4i the other day and saw just what I expected. 👍 I think these are more forgiving than the mp-18 mmc’s I played for 3 years.

And I still can’t let go of my combo thinking. Hitting on a sim is one thing. I want to check out some options. I am tempted to grab a utility, perhaps in the 4i slot. I also ponder adding a 5w and 4hy.

Looking at wedges, I will make some changes, even if that is just a shaft change with current wedges. The ZX7 AW is 51*, and at my CC fitting I was fit into (complete surprise to me) TM mg2 wedges 54/11 bent 1 weak and 60/8 bent 1 strong. The mg2 felt fantastic for full and partial swings. I also love my zipcore wedges around the greens. I am thinking hard about adding the mg2’s and letting some good old competition happen. I will, however, wait until I get my irons and validate/finalize shaft choice.

We just ordered a Combo set for one of the players on my team, and the ZX7’s in the combo set are back ordered to at least May.

My order for the ZX7’s got put in on 2/16 so I hope they arrive sooner than May!

While I continue to wait, musings. I was so sure I wanted a combo set, whatever irons I picked. Hitting the 7i and 6i ZX7’s on multiple occasions, however, I felt a full set through 4i would be fine for me. I hit the local pro’s 4i the other day and saw just what I expected. 👍 I think these are more forgiving than the mp-18 mmc’s I played for 3 years.

And I still can’t let go of my combo thinking. Hitting on a sim is one thing. I want to check out some options. I am tempted to grab a utility, perhaps in the 4i slot. I also ponder adding a 5w and 4hy.

Looking at wedges, I will make some changes, even if that is just a shaft change with current wedges. The ZX7 AW is 51*, and at my CC fitting I was fit into (complete surprise to me) TM mg2 wedges 54/11 bent 1 weak and 60/8 bent 1 strong. The mg2 felt fantastic for full and partial swings. I also love my zipcore wedges around the greens. I am thinking hard about adding the mg2’s and letting some good old competition happen. I will, however, wait until I get my irons and validate/finalize shaft choice.
Great having choices and options to make the best bag you can.

My order for the ZX7’s got put in on 2/16 so I hope they arrive sooner than May!
I put another order in last night and they told me they almost cleared most of their backorders, its just whether they have specific components, if they have everything for a specific order it will go out rsther quickly, if your specific shaft or grip are out it may delay it. Kind of a roll of the dice.

Early in the golf season, but averaging 3-4 more GIR so far compared to the previous irons (Epic Forged). Goal is to average 60% or better every round this year.

Just got back from my lesson. The ZX5's clearly outperformed the G700's. My golf pro commented "Easy decision. The Srixon is outperforming the G700". Better launch and carry distance. The looks at address are way better. Plus, from a feel perspective, the ZX5's feel much softer than the G700's.

I put another order in last night and they told me they almost cleared most of their backorders, its just whether they have specific components, if they have everything for a specific order it will go out rsther quickly, if your specific shaft or grip are out it may delay it. Kind of a roll of the dice.

I wonder if ZX5 AW's are back in stock. Kicking myself for not ordering it with my original set. By the time I decided to get one, they were inundated with orders.

I wonder if ZX5 AW's are back in stock. Kicking myself for not ordering it with my original set. By the time I decided to get one, they were inundated with orders.
My order was 6-AW. Came in yesterday.

Curious, what courses are you thinking of playing and what time of year are you visiting? Ever play Iron Horse in Ashland?
No, haven't. Was pretty far from where I lived and business never brought my to that corner of the state. I'll hit Wild Horse and try to head up into the sand hills one more time. The ZX7 might be fun in prairie winds and bunkers the size of par 3's. :)

Not sure, I just ordered a 4 iron to add to my set, and but didn’t get an eta.

Early in the golf season, but averaging 3-4 more GIR so far compared to the previous irons (Epic Forged). Goal is to average 60% or better every round this year.
I just checked the stats fro GIR and am at 8.77GIR after 9 rounds so far. So to get to that 60% I only need 2-3 more GIR per round. That is obtainable, might need to up that goal a little bit.

Finally got to hit some balls with my zx7's and wow, it just feels good, I went from a set of clubs where the ball just jumped off the face and felt like garbage, the zx7 is so good, exactly what I wanted
I'm gonna get absolutely punished on some hits tho, but it's worth it lol, they feel so pure.

Finally got to hit some balls with my zx7's and wow, it just feels good, I went from a set of clubs where the ball just jumped off the face and felt like garbage, the zx7 is so good, exactly what I wanted
I'm gonna get absolutely punished on some hits tho, but it's worth it lol, they feel so pure.
That's my thought too. They just feel so darn good, I know I'll hit some painful ones, but maybe it will help me strike the ball better, chasing the buttery feeling.

Back