Callaway Epic Speed and Epic Max Drivers and Fairway Woods

Took the Speed 9 with Riptide 60 and 45 inches, and Max 9 with Riptide 60 at 43.75 inches - weight not quite to the toe. Both leaded up at D4-5.

This is my 2 driver experiment inspired by @JB that I have begun.

Max sounded a lot better than I thought it would. Very close to the Speed in feel with all the SW tape and weight towards toe. Speed was terrific.

Riptide is smooth but may get a new shaft. May order the Accra FX 200 series. I have them in TM Sim Max hybrid and TM SIM Ti 5 wood and it is an impressive shaft - lots of energy.

It was inevitable.

1617155145017.jpeg

Ordered it with a Mitsubishi MMT 70X. I have to say, just in initial waggling the shaft seems to have some decent feel while not being overly active. Will get it on the course on Saturday.

Ordered it with a Mitsubishi MMT 70X. I have to say, just in initial waggling the shaft seems to have some decent feel while not being overly active. Will get it on the course on Saturday.
I see high bombs in your future

Shooting an 88 when it feels like 108 is some sort of victory, right? 😂

The Speed driver will get a few more outings and if I can't replicate the success during the first outing, I may check out a Max or just go back to the Flash.

don't sleep on the epic max. i've been seriously impressed. my last round was seriously the most fun i've had on a course with a driver in over a year. that toe weight is legit, and this driver sits way more neutral than the mav max, at least to my eye.

Played 9 holes after work today. 70 degrees fairways a little soft from the last couple days rain but for March around here that's pretty good.. Really got the Epic Max LS with the stock Mitsubishi shaft going. I like this shaft. Tried the Aldila Rogue White from the Mavrik Max knew right away that with this head for me the Mitsubishi just works and went right back to it. It came together tonight off the tee even what I thought weren't a couple good swings were long and in play and put me in good position. The Apex 21 irons were great and the only non Callaway club in the bag my Evnroll ER 5B was working. Shot a 39 which for me is pretty good. I have the sliding weight all the way in the heel and noticed on a couple holes it turned over more than I have so far but didn't get me in trouble on the left side but next round I will move it a little more towards the center and see what happens.Very happy with this driver and the lower spin has definitely helped my game as I believe I have had too much spin especially when I go after it. Seems like following this thread with the Epic Max line Callaway has a driver for everyone. When the B21 came out and got great reviews as a forgiving yet low spin driver I was hoping Callaway could put that low spin and forgiveness in whatever driver was following the Mavrik Max. I think they did it at least as it fits my game.2021 what a great year for Callaway releases.

Last edited:
I tried my tour length Epic Speed in the draw setting at the range tonight and it had a much stronger flight with less tendency to fall right. I think the upright/ draw setting helps counteract it being a little flat at tour length

Geez, am I the only dude rolling with the poor Max?? Nice weather finally returned, so I got out for a couple of rounds this past weekend with the Max, and loving it so far. I am coming from a standard Mavrik last season that I loved but wanted to eek out a bit more forgiveness, and a B21 at the end of the season that never really got a fair run. Still have the B21, but I am just "feeling" the Max more at the moment. Very, very forgiving, launches nicely, but definitely keeps the spin in check.

I did return a 9* Max LS that was not working for me (missing in both directions), so I'll have that credit at Callaway that I might use on a 10.5* Max LS, or a 10.5* Speed. But for now, I am very pleased with the Max.
Lol I was wondering the same thing.... all the testing I’ve seen elsewhere shows the Max to be more forgiving and just about as long as the speed. They all say it’s the one that will fit the majority of golfers. Yet both here on THP and other sites, it hardly gets a mention. 🙄
To be honest, I think there’s a lot of internet ego involved... people want to play what the best players are hitting.
The golf forum world consists of a lot of really good players with strong swings, but there are also quite a few who overestimate their abilities. Just go to the biggest golf message board and check out the number of extra stiff shafts on their BST. In the real world how many players do you see in x flex? Very few, if any.... yet on the internet?
I’m a firm believer there are a lot of regular and even stiff flex players who hit their driver in the 210 - 240 range who are reluctant to post their findings because they’re intimidated by the numbers the bombers love to post screenshots of. They don’t want to show the numbers from a 210 yard driver or 3 wood when everyone else in a thread is over 250 with the same clubs.
I’m not talking about the really good players but for the vast majority out there? My guess is that a lot of internet golfers who raced out to buy the speed and ls version will be posting in a month or two that they’ve since found the Max to be a better fit.
Time will tell...

Last edited:
The Speed is so good. I wasn't sure it was going to be worth the upgrade from the Mavrik but ordered it with some blind faith in Callaway, and it definitely is.

As a standard Mavrik owner, this has me interested. I love the Mavrik, but hearing about this model being more of a good thing has me questioning. Lol. What improvements are you seeing in distance and forgiveness? I tried the Mav Max but was more consistent with the standard.

Epic Max was sooooo good yesterday. Swing speed is starting to come back, and the forgiveness is making things so much better.

15th hole yesterday I hit a big draw that was almost surely going to end up in the creek/hazard on the left, as the ball went past a tree.
Turned out, the ball carried beyond the tree, and ended up only 5 feet left of the fairway. I love this driver.

As a standard Mavrik owner, this has me interested. I love the Mavrik, but hearing about this model being more of a good thing has me questioning. Lol. What improvements are you seeing in distance and forgiveness? I tried the Mav Max but was more consistent with the standard.

The distance is tough to say since its still so cold here, but I have hit a few balls in spots I would not expect to see them in for this time of year. Basically getting summer distances in March. So I think there will be a little extra distance from the Speed. I'm more impressed with the accuracy. I don't know if its just a really good fit for me or what, but its been pretty point and shoot in the 3 rounds I've used it for and that's with a winter rusty game. I have been hitting it mostly center(ish) in the face so that obviously helps, but when I have moved to other areas of the face, I have not seen big penalties for it either in distance or direction.

Lol I was wondering the same thing.... all the testing I’ve seen elsewhere shows the Max to be more forgiving and just about as long as the speed. They all say it’s the one that will fit the majority of golfers. Yet both here on THP and other sites, it hardly gets a mention. 🙄
To be honest, I think there’s a lot of internet ego involved... people want to play what the best players are hitting.
The golf forum world consists of a lot of really good players with strong swings, but there are also quite a few who overestimate their abilities. Just go to the biggest golf message board and check out the number of extra stiff shafts on their BST. In the real world how many players do you see in x flex? Very few, if any.... yet on the internet?
I’m a firm believer there are a lot of regular and even stiff flex players who hit their driver in the 210 - 240 range who are reluctant to post their findings because they’re intimidated by the numbers the bombers love to post screenshots of. They don’t want to show the numbers from a 210 yard driver or 3 wood when everyone else in a thread is over 250 with the same clubs.
I’m not talking about the really good players but for the vast majority out there? My guess is that a lot of internet golfers who raced out to buy the speed and ls version will be posting in a month or two that they’ve since found the Max to be a better fit.
Time will tell...

I feel like on this forum the ownership of the heads has been almost a dead tie between Speed, LS and Max?? Just the feeling I've got from reading this thread.

I was/am in the exact same boat. Played Mav std 9 deg turned -1 most of the fall and winter rounds. I like the look of the Epic Speed std a little better. I've only gotten to play one round with the Speed std. (played in same settings) but the wind was up over 20 mph most of the round so tough to take away much. I will say that my high toe miss produced some really good results with the Speed that I don't think I would have gotten from the Mav. I played the Mav well enough that if the speed doesn't work out better over the next couple rounds, I would have no problem going back to Mav for the 21 season... or until I try something else.

Was contemplating trying the speed at 9 deg next time but I didn't feel like it was launching much different than the Mav at the same settings. Interested to hear if anyone else saw a different launch window between the two.

Time will tell...

I think you mistake THP for another board.:oops:

Fact is that it is still early in the season. They did not release the driver until recently. I bought a Max and Speed and assume I'd be playing the Max more than Speed. I haven't been out on a course with either ... yet. It will probably take another month to get the right shaft, etc. I need to put the 45 inch Riptide 60 in the Max and see what it does.

Took the new Speed 4 wood to the range today. Had the Mavrik 3 wood last year, and went with the 4 wood this time around to get a little more launch. The Speed 4 wood definitely accomplished that. Got up in the air really quickly and with a nice peak height. The face seems a little taller than the Mavrik to me, which should be nice off the tee as well. (Have no idea if that's actually the case). Absolutely no idea on distance as I was hitting straight into a 15-20 mph wind. But I'm sure it will be good in that regard.

Took the new Speed 4 wood to the range today. Had the Mavrik 3 wood last year, and went with the 4 wood this time around to get a little more launch. The Speed 4 wood definitely accomplished that. Got up in the air really quickly and with a nice peak height. The face seems a little taller than the Mavrik to me, which should be nice off the tee as well. (Have no idea if that's actually the case). Absolutely no idea on distance as I was hitting straight into a 15-20 mph wind. But I'm sure it will be good in that regard.

That’s the one Epic fairway wood I’m considering for days I want to roll with an extra wedge or 3H.

Time will tell...

Short hitting , oldish lefty golfer (55yo) and I first thought LS , but ended up in a Speed for the following reasons: Looks, sound/feel and flight are exactly like my favorite driver of all-time the R510 non-tp 330cc.......I'm normally in that range you speak of with any driver 210-230.......that range has moved to 225-255 with downwind drives being 270-290 and accurate......hit one today 300 downwind leaving 54* wedge from 100.....of course it wasn't carry but I was yards past my playing partners ......the Max just looks too big for my eye ......yes a smidge of forgiveness might be left on the table but I'm not seeing the need as I've hit balls all over the face of my Speed ......Tensei 65R blue AV 💙 shaft du jour......good to have choices

That’s the one Epic fairway wood I’m considering for days I want to roll with an extra wedge or 3H.

Yup that's what I did. 4 wood then into the new Apex Pro 3 Hybrid. It was very easy to hit off the ground/mat.

Yup that's what I did. 4 wood then into the new Apex Pro 3 Hybrid. It was very easy to hit off the ground/mat.

Happy to hear that. I love my Apex 4H so much I now want a 3H, meaning I’ll need to drop a wood. So two new purchases!? Haha

Happy to hear that. I love my Apex 4H so much I now want a 3H, meaning I’ll need to drop a wood. So two new purchases!? Haha

(y)(y)

#4woodmafia

I am really digging this 4wood. Fits the gapping perfectly where I need it. Played yesterday in 15-20mph head winds and hit one 235 carry into the teeth of the wind out of the rough. Ball hit soft and semi-plugged ( ended up 3" from where it landed ). Calm day, drier conditions, I am expecting 245 carry with some better roll out on fairways but landing pretty soft on greens.

Exactly my setup! Fits really nicely with the Apex Pro irons starting at the 4iron.

#4woodmafia

I am really digging this 4wood. Fits the gapping perfectly where I need it. Played yesterday in 15-20mph head winds and hit one 235 carry into the teeth of the wind out of the rough. Ball hit soft and semi-plugged ( ended up 3" from where it landed ). Calm day, drier conditions, I am expecting 245 carry with some better roll out on fairways but landing pretty soft on greens.

Exactly my setup! Fits really nicely with the Apex Pro irons starting at the 4iron.

Nice. That's actually one of the first thoughts I had when hitting it today, was this will definitely hold par 5 greens easily. Or I guess extremely long par 4s.

Short review today: 78 with 9 fwys , 9 GIR's......nothing felt slotted with either driver or irons......guess you can't go 5 days without touching stix......did get a runout Speed drive downwind to 305......hehe but distance aside a pretty avg round.....playing same course tomorrow, so looking for redemption!

Back