Callaway Epic Speed and Epic Max Drivers and Fairway Woods

My AOA is +6, I swing 9 of loft and get it up there. If I want more spin and control, I might use a second driver at 10. As to the Riptide, it likes smooth swings, not a quick transition - sequence with your body and then speed it through the swing .. I'm still working with it. Only 2 brief limited sessions with it so far.
I’m working (or was before my back issue) on a swing change also. It’s been a revelation after just a few weeks. My transition has gone from very quick to a much smoother move (using the lower body better).
It feels so slow, but my SS is up, and my distance is so much better.
The last round I played the men in my league foursome all were amazed at how smooth it looked, and noticed the distance gains.
in all honesty though, I had fallen into some bad habits after an elbow tendinitis thing (getting older sucks, seems like something is always hurt, lol) and my pro told me I’d be an easy fix. I was blessed with some athletic ability and hand to eye coordination. The athletic thing is great to have, but the hand to eye coordination helped me get away with a lot of flaws... until they didn’t 😱

Out of curiosity, what was the last head that had the magic you're looking for?

Standard Mavrik 10.5* was the best driver I’ve played in some time. Did not really get along with the Mav Max. I think the Epic Max is the one for this season. I am just getting going here in NJ—been a long winter. Got out for 9 holes this evening, and several of my shafts work very nicely in the Epic Max. Just need to start narrowing it down. But very happy, and very confident, with the Epic Max so far.

Standard Mavrik 10.5* was the best driver I’ve played in some time. Did not really get along with the Mav Max. I think the Epic Max is the one for this season. I am just getting going here in NJ—been a long winter. Got out for 9 holes this evening, and several of my shafts work very nicely in the Epic Max. Just need to start narrowing it down. But very happy, and very confident, with the Epic Max so far.
I liked the Mav Std, but I would argue the TSi's are a considerable upgrade from their predecessors, and the Speed and Max LS are significant and useful departures from theirs. Doesn't mean those changes will benefit everyone though. SIM2 and g425 I might be more likely to agree on less magic.

What was your flight and trajectory with Mavrik driver?

BTW between @Desmond @SC LEFTY and you , I'm getting so much great feedback!

I liked the Mav Std, but I would argue the TSi's are a considerable upgrade from their predecessors, and the Speed and Max LS are significant and useful departures from theirs. Doesn't mean those changes will benefit everyone though. SIM2 and g425 I might be more likely to agree on less magic.
This is all so subjective, and player dependent. For example my buddy just bought an 0211 with a Riptide (blue) shaft. He’s hitting it way better than he hit his Mavrick. I tried it, meh.
There are a thousand guys out there who’ll hit the 425 better than a Cally or Titleist, and vice versa.

This is all so subjective, and player dependent. For example my buddy just bought an 0211 with a Riptide (blue) shaft. He’s hitting it way better than he hit his Mavrick. I tried it, meh.
There are a thousand guys out there who’ll hit the 425 better than a Cally or Titleist, and vice versa.
Once I get around to it. I’ll share my thoughts. I’ve had the g425 max, Rad XB, Rad XD and SIM2 max for a little over a week now trialing on the course and range.

Great range session with the Epic Speed and Ventus Blue. I have been fighting a really bad toe miss and tried something a little different tonight. My driver currently plays at 45.25-45.5". I ended up choking down about 1/2" on the grip and tried taking my backswing back about another clock position (if that makes sense), results were way more center strikes and some really great carry. Can't wait to see if it translates to the course on Saturday...

Once I get around to it. I’ll share my thoughts. I’ve had the g425 max, Rad XB, Rad XD and SIM2 max for a little over a week now trialing on the course and range.

That's too many drivers for me!o_O

I demoed the 425 Max against my G400 in same shafts and wasn't thrilled. Not much difference. I hit the Epic Speed and Max and the potential has me more enthused ... better feel, great flight on range. Need to hit the G400 against them more. Probably tomorrow pm and the weekend. I want to get the right shaft in the Callaway - probably the new TPT Blue (when they arrive) and an Accra FX 200 series. I love that Accra in a hybrid and fairway.

That's too many drivers for me!o_O

I demoed the 425 Max against my G400 in same shafts and wasn't thrilled. Not much difference. I hit the Epic Speed and Max and the potential has me more enthused ... better feel, great flight on range. Need to hit the G400 against them more. Probably tomorrow pm and the weekend. I want to get the right shaft in the Callaway - probably the new TPT Blue (when they arrive) and an Accra FX 200 series. I love that Accra in a hybrid and fairway.
I had the g400 max and g400 in the mix as well as well as my Mavrik. I have issues lol

Feel like I have the Speed dialed in. 10/11 for 301y today. Pull on the first, and a double cross later that was fairway but bad position. Good mostly though. Confident.

So I want to get the LS more dialed in. Go to put a couple favorite shafts in and they both feel light. Check the SWs and ohhhh boy do I need head weights for the LS.

Anyone order them yet?

What was your flight and trajectory with Mavrik driver?

BTW between @Desmond @SC LEFTY and you , I'm getting so much great feedback!

Penetrating. Standard Mav is/was so good. I traded it in with Callaway when I picked up the Epic Max, only because I had demo’d the Epic and felt confident with it. To me, the Epic Max seems to give me what I had with the Mav, but with more forgiveness, and the better adjustability with the sliding weight.

Callaway sticking with the Optifit 2 with their driver shafts for so long, really allows a lot of versatility. I’ve acquired a bunch of Callaway shafts over the years, many cheap from CPO, and I really like to test out on the course. Last night, of all things, I had one of those Fuji Speeder 665 TS regular flex shafts that were stock in the XR Pro 16 driver or something like that years ago, and it was working great. So was the Aldila Synergy 60 R, and Rogue White 60 R. My old reliable Tensei Blue 65 and Graphite Design G 60 also in the mix. I tried out my EF Riptide 60 5.5, and wasn’t really getting on quite as well. YMMV.

Penetrating. Standard Mav is/was so good. I traded it in with Callaway when I picked up the Epic Max, only because I had demo’d the Epic and felt confident with it. To me, the Epic Max seems to give me what I had with the Mav, but with more forgiveness, and the better adjustability with the sliding weight.

Callaway sticking with the Optifit 2 with their driver shafts for so long, really allows a lot of versatility. I’ve acquired a bunch of Callaway shafts over the years, many cheap from CPO, and I really like to test out on the course. Last night, of all things, I had one of those Fuji Speeder 665 TS regular flex shafts that were stock in the XR Pro 16 driver or something like that years ago, and it was working great. So was the Aldila Synergy 60 R, and Rogue White 60 R. My old reliable Tensei Blue 65 and Graphite Design G 60 also in the mix. I tried out my EF Riptide 60 5.5, and wasn’t really getting on quite as well. YMMV.

Dang it....... don't get me started ......AGAIN!

The usual comment I hear with Riptide is that it needs a smooth transition and tempo. If you are filled with rage,:oops: then get Hzrdous:ROFLMAO:

The usual comment I hear with Riptide is that it needs a smooth transition and tempo. If you are filled with rage,:oops: then get Hzrdous:ROFLMAO:

Sounds about right. :D

Lol. Yeah, I don't know, I never really got on with the Riptide 60 5.5 with my Mavrik either. I will say, I did like the new Smoke im10 60, but the 6.0 I purchased with my Epic Max turned out to be too stiff (ego got in the way on that one). Didn't want to do a whole return, so since I have a ton of shafts around, just kept it. But I would like to try the Smoke im10 60 in 5.5. MMT 60 also a good one.

Dang it....... don't get me started ......AGAIN!

Ah, you're good. If you love the Speed, no reason to go backwards to the Mavrik. Sounds like the Speed is along the lines of a newer, more forgiving Mavrik. Nothing wrong with that.

Ah, you're good. If you love the Speed, no reason to go backwards to the Mavrik. Sounds like the Speed is along the lines of a newer, more forgiving Mavrik. Nothing wrong with that.

I did not find much draw bias at all with the Mavrik - in fact, for me, it was either straight/faded a bit for me and my teenage son. The Speed gives me a straight to a slight draw in abbreviated range sessions, as long as I don't leave the face wide open...:oops: But I can depend on Speed more for a straight flight than the Mav.

With the Riptide 60 in 5.5, if I transition hard on it, it tells me - don't do that. When I don't go after it from the top - you know the drill - full turn, sequence with body, arms last, it's fine.

Went through a full bag fitting yesterday and spent lots of time with driver. The new Epic line up was top of the list for me to try since I've loved my Flash for the last couple years. Unfortunately none of the new products could best my Flash in ball speed or dispersion.
I had high hopes for the Max LS but really just couldn't make it work at all. The spin rate jumped around a lot and speed lagged behind other options for some reason. Just couldn't get a handle on it for some reason.
I really enjoyed hitting Epic Speed with it's great shape and solid sound. It had good speed but seemed to be a little more left bias than my Flash (APW weight in the toe). For me the Speed had lower spin numbers (better) than Max LS as well. Strange?
We didn't try the Max due to my left issues.
Ultimately though, every time we found a winning shaft setup I'd plug it into my old Flash and it would perform equal or even better in some instances.

This post may come off as negative towards Callaway but I don't think it should. If anything it's a testament to how great their product was 2 years ago. Also we tried TSi3, TSi2, Srixon new driver, Sim2 Max and none of them made me want to buy them either. Either way, it's the truth.

If the desire for new and shiny takes over, or the tinkering itch kicks in - I could see myself buying a 12* Epic Speed with a green dot adapter and setting it at 10* way open. But I think I've found my driver for 2021, and its my 2018 Grandaddy magic stick.

I wish I could stick with a driver that works for me, over the years I have sold so many clubs that actually worked better for me on the course than their replacements. Much easier to justify getting the 1k shaft for the driver when you don’t have the cost of the head as well

I fall squarely into the HZRDUS audience, but man if you can smooth it out, the Riptide is a bomber of a shaft.

or your swing has been described as "Violent" I just put my HZRDUS Yellow back in my Epic Max.
I need the heavier weight to smooth out my swing.

Apparently, I’m a raging maniac, lol.

Went through a full bag fitting yesterday and spent lots of time with driver. The new Epic line up was top of the list for me to try since I've loved my Flash for the last couple years. Unfortunately none of the new products could best my Flash in ball speed or dispersion.
I had high hopes for the Max LS but really just couldn't make it work at all. The spin rate jumped around a lot and speed lagged behind other options for some reason. Just couldn't get a handle on it for some reason.
I really enjoyed hitting Epic Speed with it's great shape and solid sound. It had good speed but seemed to be a little more left bias than my Flash (APW weight in the toe). For me the Speed had lower spin numbers (better) than Max LS as well. Strange?
We didn't try the Max due to my left issues.
Ultimately though, every time we found a winning shaft setup I'd plug it into my old Flash and it would perform equal or even better in some instances.

This post may come off as negative towards Callaway but I don't think it should. If anything it's a testament to how great their product was 2 years ago. Also we tried TSi3, TSi2, Srixon new driver, Sim2 Max and none of them made me want to buy them either. Either way, it's the truth.

If the desire for new and shiny takes over, or the tinkering itch kicks in - I could see myself buying a 12* Epic Speed with a green dot adapter and setting it at 10* way open. But I think I've found my driver for 2021, and its my 2018 Grandaddy magic stick.
I got fit into a Epic Max however I did not sell my Flash. I just hit so well that I just couldn't give it up.
Plus I have found that what your fit for in a bay and real world performance (On the Course) can sometimes be different.

1617379118659.png

Last edited:
Feel like I have the Speed dialed in. 10/11 for 301y today. Pull on the first, and a double cross later that was fairway but bad position. Good mostly though. Confident.

So I want to get the LS more dialed in. Go to put a couple favorite shafts in and they both feel light. Check the SWs and ohhhh boy do I need head weights for the LS.

Anyone order them yet?

Where would one order weights for the Epic Max LS?

1617382076582.png

I wish I could stick with a driver that works for me, over the years I have sold so many clubs that actually worked better for me on the course than their replacements. Much easier to justify getting the 1k shaft for the driver when you don’t have the cost of the head as well
Yeah its on the way. Only lousy part is now having to go back to something I know doesn't work as well for the next bunch of rounds until it gets here. Not cool.

Back