But if he rolled his car - wherever his phone is by the time authorities get to him isn't relevant.

I am not sure how along authorities are in determining when/where/if a person's use of phone in a car where an accident has occurred, but I do believe they can investigate such matters. The question is, did they investigate such matters for Tiger?

phones have time records. It would be pretty easy to determine if he was on the phone or texting at the time.. I dont want a negative aspect brought to light, but I would love to know (as I think we all do) the reason for the crash. I understand, it is really none of my business, but the media has made it everyone business and interest.

So in the end. Blame the media, which is complete trash..

You have to agree that this is a bit of a different situation right? Tiger is not you and me. The super high profile of it all changes the rules a little right or wrong. When it becomes national news for weeks after it happened. It seems to me there is a bit of a responsibility to close the story one way or another. I understand and agree Tiger has rights and they should be preserved. But this was shoved down our throats for days on every new channel there was and there appears as there often is with the news these days that there are a lot of inconsistencies.

I generally agree with you. Just because someone is high profile and it makes the news and is shoved down our throats, doesnthst give him less privacy rights?

Dude can’t go anywhere without being recognized. Should he have to share details of his private life that he doesn’t want to (right now anyways)?

If you fell asleep driving due to a medical condition would you want it known to everyone? Would you maybe not want it known?

I generally agree with you. Just because someone is high profile and it makes the news and is shoved down our throats, doesnthst give him less privacy rights?

Dude can’t go anywhere without being recognized. Should he have to share details of his private life that he doesn’t want to (right now anyways)?

If you fell asleep driving due to a medical condition would you want it known to everyone? Would you maybe not want it known?

Totally agree. I acknowledge a double standard of a sort but Tiger gets a lot of double standards thrown his way as well. Due to his popularity and greatness.

You have to agree that this is a bit of a different situation right? Tiger is not you and me. The super high profile of it all changes the rules a little right or wrong. When it becomes national news for weeks after it happened. It seems to me there is a bit of a responsibility to close the story one way or another. I understand and agree Tiger has rights and they should be preserved. But this was shoved down our throats for days on every new channel there was and there appears as there often is with the news these days that there are a lot of inconsistencies.

Absolutely. It is different. Im just not sure I understand the premise of the double standard...Its only a double standard if something different is happening to us and it doesnt that I can see.

phones have time records. It would be pretty easy to determine if he was on the phone or texting at the time.. I dont want a negative aspect brought to light, but I would love to know (as I think we all do) the reason for the crash. I understand, it is really none of my business, but the media has made it everyone business and interest.

But why? Why would you want to know? Is his private life any of our damn business? I’m not getting upset, I’m just asking. He hurt no one else and I’m sure can cover property damages if self insured.

I don’t get it. Yeah there was media hype, big story. But it’s none of our damn business what happened if it’s covered by privacy laws.

But why? Why would you want to know? Is his private life any of our damn business? I’m not getting upset, I’m just asking. He hurt no one else and I’m sure can cover property damages if self insured.

Im not sure I agree with that.
He hurt nobody else but himself during his DUI, but I am pretty sure it mattered and it should. It can help understand the dangers that exist and possibly have a positive spin on the other side.

I don’t get it. Yeah there was media hype, big story. But it’s none of our damn business what happened if it’s covered by privacy laws.

Its a fair question. I want to know because it is Tiger Freaking Woods lol.. I am hoping genuinely that it was a simple mistake and nothing else. I would like to know one way or the other.

I don’t want to derail this thread as this could be 100% unrelated... I have a car with Apple CarPlay and text using Siri frequently while driving. Are they able to determine how the text was sent between the car’s “black box” and my phone?

You are preaching to the choir here.

If Tiger wasn't on his phone, and the deputies determined that, they should say that.

According to this article quoting Rory McIlroy, Tiger's back surgery was before Christmas.

that’s fair, if that’s the case then I don’t think we can assume that he was on prescription medication. I hadn’t seen that interview and just had gone off of the official press release date.

and as for my take, personally I want Tiger to have a speedy recovery just like everyone else. I also don’t want to see him in jail. I’m not trying to radiate negativity. However this is a golf forum that’s made for speculation and conversation on golf topics. I’m not going to filter my posts to pander to political correctness. Not necessarily saying that’s what you are saying, but I don’t think I’m being out of line speculating the cause of the accident. If medication did play a role I’m not dwelling on it to spite Tiger. Painkiller addiction is very common for people with severe back pain and it has already been a part of Tigers life. My concern isn’t with tarnishing his reputation, but instead just hoping that if it is something he was still struggling with that he would be open to accepting help. Which he has proven he doesn’t like help from anyone.

I will happily be proven wrong if painkillers played 0 role in this accident. But as long as the details of the crash are ambiguous, coupled with Tigers history I do think there is still a possibility that they did play a role in this. Although I do appreciate your article as I admit it is far less likely that this is the case if the procedure took place a month prior to what I had thought.

I don’t want to derail this thread as this could be 100% unrelated... I have a car with Apple CarPlay and text using Siri frequently while driving. Are they able to determine how the text was sent between the car’s “black box” and my phone?
That is a great question. I haven't come across that yet but I will try to find out. It was 70 degrees here Tuesday but snowing lightly now. If it clears up for the weekend and we golf one of the guys in my group is a retired NYS Trooper who now Is an accident reconstruction expert. I will ask him if he plays because I really want to know the answer to that.

I’m not going to filter my posts to pander to political correctness. Not necessarily saying that’s what you are saying, but I don’t think I’m being out of line speculating the cause of the accident.

All I was doing was pointing out when someone had put a date on a back surgery rather than when news of it was released. I knew I had read it somewhere and when I found it again, I wanted to add it to the conversation. For all I know, he could have had another procedure shortly before the January 19 press release.

I understand that Tiger has a history with pain and related medications and think that, if he was still on them, it is problematic, but not necessarily causative. I guess I've been a lawyer too long and sometimes can be curt or abrasive. That is especially so when tone can't be conveyed.

I have my own thoughts as to what happened. I've gone back and forth on what it could be based on what information I think law enforcement could legally have and what they might have obtained some other way. And, I do understand the Sheriff saying he needs Tiger's permission to disclose what caused the wreck certainly creates doubt.

Yes, with computers there is always a trail.

Pretty sure he was trolling. He seems to pop up once in a while and spout off.
Someone claimed to be a subject matter expert on something, but can’t get an acronym correct and is too lazy to spell check or proofread a post, and I’m a troll? Seems like would want to be correct on. 😏

Someone claimed to be a subject matter expert on something, but can’t get an acronym correct and is too lazy to spell check or proofread a post, and I’m a troll? Seems like would want to be correct on. 😏
Bieng correct is ovrerated. How else are you giong to laern? On the other hand you can learn a lot people by their reactions to someone’s mistakes.

An incredible amount of cell phone data can be obtained from cell towers. That would almost certainly show whether Tiger was texting or talking to someone. I don't know if California LEOs can get that without the phone owner's consent or a search warrant.

But, more to your point, On top of the event data recorders (that have gotten more and more sophisticated and gather more vehicle information before and just after a wreck), newer cars have extensive telematics systems that record a lot of information. Assuming it is activated, I don't know if Siri or the car's bluetooth are run through that system or not. With TW's vehicle being a loaner, the system may not have been activated. Or, it may have been for Genesis' insurance and product liability purposes.

I have a Chevy Tahoe but did not take OnStar past the trial period. But, I wouldn't be surprised if GM is nonetheless gathering information relative to its ongoing vehicle analysis and development of other systems. I think the accident reporting and maybe a few other features are not dependent upon an active subscription.

I have a Chevy Tahoe but did not take OnStar past the trial period. But, I wouldn't be surprised if GM is nonetheless gathering information relative to its ongoing vehicle analysis and development of other systems.

And, at least in a product liability setting, GM and every other car manufacturer will fight you tooth and nail to protect the extent of the information being continuously gathered as you operate the vehicle. If it benefits them in a lawsuit, they'll throw it at a plaintiff driver/passenger in a heartbeat. If it benefits the plaintiff, they'll fight to keep it from ever seeing the light of day.

And, at least in a product liability setting, GM and every other car manufacturer will fight you tooth and nail to protect the extent of the information being continuously gathered as you operate the vehicle. If it benefits them in a lawsuit, they'll throw it at a plaintiff driver/passenger in a heartbeat. If it benefits the plaintiff, they'll fight to keep it from ever seeing the light of day.
But even though the computer can determine the time of a text can it tell if the text was sent by voice using Siri or if it was done by hand and typed. That is the question I would like to find out the answer to because it would make a difference.

Its a fair question. I want to know because it is Tiger Freaking Woods lol.. I am hoping genuinely that it was a simple mistake and nothing else. I would like to know one way or the other.

If it was DUI he’d have got one. You’re not likely getting out of one. Those guys know what to look for.

I like a great discussion. All bringing fair points. But would you have cared about “Smiter on THP” if he had the same accident? No. Hopefully you’d send well wishes. But happens to anyone else and no one cares.

Im not sure I agree with that.
He hurt nobody else but himself during his DUI, but I am pretty sure it mattered and it should. It can help understand the dangers that exist and possibly have a positive spin on the other side.

I know, multi quote.

I’m not ready to condemn him for DUI on this. I’d think first responders would have reported impairment. Even in tremendous pain they can tell when you’re under the influence or not 90%+ of the time. Not statistical, just from the guys I know.

I know, multi quote.

I’m not ready to condemn him for DUI on this. I’d think first responders would have reported impairment. Even in tremendous pain they can tell when you’re under the influence or not 90%+ of the time. Not statistical, just from the guys I know.

I don't think anybody has and I certainly didnt.
That doesn't mean it should be "nobody's damn business' if some good could come out of it.

Let's say he was texting while driving. I hope he wasn't and unlike many am not sure, but let's say he was. It could very much be a game changing awareness to not do such a thing when one of the most recognizable athletes of a generation is nearly killed from it.

It's okay to want more information and still focus on the positive outcome that could be ahead.

I don't think anybody has and I certainly didnt.
That doesn't mean it should be "nobody's damn business' if some good could come out of it.

Let's say he was texting while driving. I hope he wasn't and unlike many am not sure, but let's say he was. It could very much be a game changing awareness to not do such a thing when one of the most recognizable athletes of a generation is nearly killed from it.

It's okay to want more information and still focus on the positive outcome that could be ahead.

I think this is exactly where I stand. I have no ill intentions or am waiting for the moment I can say "GOTCHA". But when a once maybe ever athlete is almost killed and there appears to be no reason for it. You want to know why..

Hey, there are many more attorneys piping up here than just me. 😂

Duly noted and appreciated. I’ll acknowledge @Parrot ,@Elmave and @JMB3 (he posted about Torts class) also. As a practicing attorney for more than 30 years, I have enjoyed the legal related comments in the thread . I have no experience or expertise reagarding negligence but I was involved in prosecution in the past and I have knowledge and experience regarding the prosecution of impaired / intoxicated driving and am familiar with collision reconstruction.

Back