Cleveland RTX ZipCore Tour Rack and Black Satin Wedges

Looking to order a 54* and 60* Tour Rack and looking for some advice:

1) On the 54* - Full sole or mid? Club is typically used for full shots, bunkers and chips around green (without opening face). Also, thoughts on if the grinds such as the S grind are worth it?

2) On the 60* - I was leaning toward Mid. This is a club I chip with most often and use it to open face where necessary. Thoughts on just heel relief versus heel and toe?

I previously had RTX 3 Mids in both lofts and never noticed any issues if that helps.

Thanks!
I would say if you had mids in the RTX3 and they worked then these should as well. They are a bit more, refined, on the sole that the 3s were, so it should be easier to manipulate the face to manufacture more shots than it was with the 3s

1) On the 54* - Full sole or mid? Club is typically used for full shots, bunkers and chips around green (without opening face). Also, thoughts on if the grinds such as the S grind are worth it?

2) On the 60* - I was leaning toward Mid. This is a club I chip with most often and use it to open face where necessary. Thoughts on just heel relief versus heel and toe?

I previously had RTX 3 Mids in both lofts and never noticed any issues if that helps.

Thanks!

I got..
Loft/Bounce: 54 Degree (Mid)
Sole Grind: Heel and Toe
Leading Edge: Rounded

I play it exactly like what you are looking for. Highly recommend!

Thanks!

Do you take big divots (steep) or minimal (shallow) playing wedges? I like the 54 mid as a great all around, if you are steeper or play wet conditions frequently I would be tempted by a 54 Full with heel & toe relief.

Do you take big divots (steep) or minimal (shallow) playing wedges? I like the 54 mid as a great all around, if you are steeper or play wet conditions frequently I would be tempted by a 54 Full with heel & toe relief.

Generally shallow to regular unless its a miss hit.

So I have had a set of these for a while now and much to my chagrin I have not been able to go play. Fortunately for me I have a nice sized yard and several targets, so the next best thing was to have a head to head against the Glide 3.0 these would be replacing.

Being excited to swing the new and shiny I grabbed the 52 zipcore and set up for some 45ish yard pitches with five balls out of the shag bag. After a chunk (mulligan) I put the next 4 into a pretty tight circle around the target (a spindly little apple tree) and saw the ball stop quickly.
I went to retrieve them and hit some longer pitches toward my maple tree target. Once I got a feel for how hard to swing I was able to put 3 near the target.

I repeated the exercise with the Glide 52. Both coming and going I wasn’t able to get the shots as close on average as I did with the ZC. Plus the glide had a big hop and a couple of little hops on landing while the ZC had a big hop, small hop, and hit the brakes.

Sound and feel were decidedly different between the two. The glide has a thick polymer insert that gives a softer, thud sensation when struck. The ZC has a noticeably sharper pitch and a firm, solid feel in comparison. Distance control is better with the ZC as well, provides you stay around the center of the face. This is where the Glide has an advantage, shots farther off center weren’t punished as severely as with the ZC. I don’t typically full swing my wedges, so this isn’t as much of an issue for me.

While hacking around the yard is fun to do I’m looking forward to taking some shots out of the sand and off tighter fairway lies when I manage to find them.

Coming up with less and less reasons not to pick up a 54 tour rack.

Coming up with less and less reasons not to pick up a 54 tour rack.

The only downside for me is that I'm currently 5 weeks out since order without a shipping notification. So factor that in. But, they will be worth another week or two (I hope), since golf here just started last week.

Freshies! I’m stoked :)

C6E0C462-399B-4029-8179-595554E26682.jpeg

That’s like gold right there. So good

Thanks! A big reason why I'm stoked, is that my original ZipCore 54 and Tour Rack 58 have been on fire this spring around the green, and in general. They are favorites in the bag, and now I've got all three with a grind I love. The Mid with Heel & Toe grind has been perfect for me in the 58 spot.

Thanks! A big reason why I'm stoked, is that my original ZipCore 54 and Tour Rack 58 have been on fire this spring around the green, and in general. They are favorites in the bag, and now I've got all three with a grind I love. The Mid with Heel & Toe grind has been perfect for me in the 58 spot.

My 54 tour rack mid with heel and toe grind is without a doubt the best club in the bag for me. 100 and in is absolutely lethal right now.

Alllriiiiiight, I'll order one. 🙄

🙌 🙌

I posted a couple weeks back about lead time, I was feeling bad I might have talked you out of it. They are fun to be sure, go for it!

I still have my 60* Full (12* Bounce), S-Shaped Grind, Rounded Leading edge Tour Rack wedge in the bag, and it's earned it's spot as my #1 lob wedge. There are a lot of courses around here with terrible bunkers, hard-pan with minimal sand, so the RTX4 60* low-bounce will always get some time in the bag when I play those, but the Tour Rack is too versatile everywhere else. I am especially enjoying it for flop shots, as long as I have at least a bit of a fluffy lie I have been incredibly successful hitting high soft landing flops. I won't try it off tight lies, because I'm just not that good, but otherwise this thing really inspires confidence.

I can also say that the finish still looks great. I clean my clubs after every round, sometimes a day or two after, but it always gets done. I don't like rust, so every second or third cleaning I hit this thing with a bit of metal polish, which gets rid of any rust, bringing it right back to the original good looking hand polished finish.

Also, I'm not sure why I waited so long to give the wedge a go. It's really good for me.

Also, I'm not sure why I waited so long to give the wedge a go. It's really good for me.

What loft did you get there? Looks great!

My Tour Rack 50* is comfortably in the bag and after passing break-in inspection. Very happy about having ZipCore in the AW spot. Plenty of spin on the approach as well. A couple days ago I hit one of those shots that used spin and the green slope start to feed the ball toward the hole... it was glorious.

One thing I’ve noticed after playing the black satin wedges for a while is that grass and other debris seem pretty easy to remove. The last black wedges I had were blacked out Vokeys and they always seemed to need some work with the wire side of the club brush to clean up. These will clean up usually with just a damp towel and plastic brush.

Finally got around to putting the Recoil 95 shaft in my 60* Tour Rack, and regripped all my wedges with GolfPride MCC Teams (this photo really doesn't do the grips justice). I'll have it in play Monday, I've been playing Recoil 95s in all my wqedges for several years now, so I don't expect any surprises.

ZipCore Tour Rack is bottom wedge in photo, the others are CBX2.

Wedges_01.jpg

Back