How would you play this short par 4?

RealPretendPsychic

Ask me about the Callaway Apex CB’s!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Here’s the latest episode of helping RealPretendPsychic attack short par 4’s! I love this hole and it really gives you a neat look and angle off the tee. The scorecard has it listed at 308 from the whites and 325 from the blues. Apologies for the rainy day photos, but as you can see it’s a wide open hole. If you’re left of the fairway the ball will be well below your feet. There are a handful bunkers protecting the green and the one on the left is fairly deep and not one I enjoy hitting out of. As you can see in the second photo (I was right of the fairway and in the rough), there isn’t much trouble to the right except for the bunkers that could give you an awkward distance.
631D3748-C2A3-4FC7-B2C9-8C74446649FB.jpegC5DBE9E1-18D6-4E1B-BF15-FEC0DE0A6484.jpeg3D9D65D0-3E0A-4068-9B2B-3B5E6F0975D4.jpeg

Off the back tees I would aim at the little tree, that should leave me 90 yards. From there I am going at the pin and walking away with birdie.

Big stick right at the green.
I’ve been employing this strategy with fairly good success. Biggest concern (barring some sort of catastrophic left or right miss) is ending up in that bunker with 50-70 yards to the pin.

Driver, 3 putt. Standard par.

I'd play the whites and hit my driver about 220 and hope it lands on the short stuff. From there, depending upon lie hit a full 56 or pitch a GW onto the green. Two putt par.

Short knocker strategy, driver should get me even with the small bunker at the bend and give me a good angle to stick a 9 iron close. Should end up birdie, par at worst

7w to the fairway. Give me something I can take a full swing at, there's nothing wrong with walking away with a 4 on a hole that is a bit of a sucker yardage

Till I have played the hole a couple time and gotten a feel for it I am hitting something off the tee that gets me to 100 yards and wedging it from there.

maybe after a couple of rounds and seeing it for myself. I go for it. But I got to see it first.

At 325, I like my 19° hybrid to the fairway and try hit a wedge close. Pars are ok with me!

I'd probably over-correct, hit into the trees on the left, use my 3 iron get out from under the trees, hitting into one of the bunkers at the right. Then come up short on the poke out of the sand, chip it to 40 feet, and do the hero two-putt for double bogey.

But that's just me

Last edited:
I’ve been employing this strategy with fairly good success. Biggest concern (barring some sort of catastrophic left or right miss) is ending up in that bunker with 50-70 yards to the pin.
I would just aim for that bunker then. Guaranteed to not be in it then!:ROFLMAO:

Ideally - Driver to fairway, PW from 100 to green, 2 putt par

I would be using a driver right at the little tree and hope for the best.

Driver, 3 putt. Standard par.

Close. Driver 2 chip 3 putt. Double.

But I’m green light going every time I’m not into too much wind.

I'm not a long hitter but I'm still going right at the green regardless. I won't reach it but cutting the corner would give me the shortest partial shot in. The inside of that dogleg looks to be essentially wide open, just a few scattered sand traps. You mentioned the difficult sand trap is on the left side so I'm assuming those to the right are pretty standard so they wouldn't really present any problems for me. Also the penal trees are all to the left. About the only time I might not take the direct line would be if a strong headwind might put the edge of that pond in play if I were to push the tee ball a little.

Last edited:
I'm going to aim at the left edge of the second trap (tree on far side of fairway) with driver. If it stops it leaves me left centre of fairway. Wedge from there, and as many putts as required.

Whites I'm aiming right at the pin. Blues depending on conditions, probably a 275 club to stay short of that bunker, pitch and putt. After seeing it once, if it's pretty hairy greenside, option 2 might become the norm regardless of conditions. My odds are good pitching from 50.

Close. Driver 2 chip 3 putt. Double.

But I’m green light going every time I’m not into too much wind.
I will find a hole you’re not willing to take driver on! 😆

This is the type of hole that gets me into trouble because it's so open. The fairway seems to narrow at around 230 by that bunker in the middle so I'd plan on 3h to stay short of that and find the fairway. But, your photos show everything so wide open (no trees to right of fairway, no water) that I'd be tempted to hit driver right at the flag and see how close I can get, which puts that bunker right in front of the green and all the rough in play. I'd be happy with par.

51114307708_257073fbaa_c.jpg

Depends on wind and how I am playing. If on game and with wind - driver may be play but otherwise 4 iron or 5 wood and short iron. Might hit driver 30 per cent of time. I am 63 and when swinging hard can carry it about 255 calm condition so would be tempting for sure.

I'm taking driver and aiming at the middle bunker which should hopefully leave me with a little wedge in. I'm happy with a par.

Might play it a little different depending on wind though too...

Back