clam fist

Reaction score
I recently started a new hobby. It is called hyper Miling and simply means that you try to get the most mpgs you can possibly get with whatever car you are driving by changing your driving techniques. So far I am getting 5 mpg over the top epa rating for my vehicle. It makes the drive to work a bit more interesting and has saved me some coin. I am not really doing it for the money saving aspect but it is a bonus.

Anyone else like this kind of thing?

Never done it, but I have seen a segement of 60 Minutes or Dateline something or another about it. Looks like it would be kinda hard on the car and driver's nerves to me, especially with those yahoo tourist up your way. Is you car an automatic or manual?

It is an auto with manual mode too. I have been using the cruise control for acceleration though. Got 41.9 mpgs today!

I've been doing if for a while now. It's actually kind of fun.

I drive 130 miles a day, mostly by interstate and I can't afford to slow down below the 75mph I'm use to driving, even though it only gains me ten minutes or so each way. My work vehicle is powered by propane as well, which was just recently converted.

I've been doing if for a while now. It's actually kind of fun.

Do you have any tips? I just started doing it. I bought a new car the other day that has the mileage/ gas tracker on it. Now I am hooked.

Do you have any tips? I just started doing it. I bought a new car the other day that has the mileage/ gas tracker on it. Now I am hooked.

First thing I'd say is to take off 2 or 3 mpg off what it says. Check your mileage/mpg by calculator when you fill up, it will be lower than what your car says.

When I see a light up ahead that's red I take my foot off the gas and coast to a stop. I'm gentle with the brake pedal. Also, when I accelerate from a dead stop I don't stomp on the gas pedal. I use cruise control on the highway. If I'm going down a hill I coast if I'm able to. I can do all this without driving like an old lady. lol

I've never heard of hyper milling. How do you use this way of driving?

I started shifting to nuetral at stop lights. This keeps the engine from working the car against the brake. Not sure yet if it is creating any real gains.

I recently started a new hobby. It is called hyper Miling and simply means that you try to get the most mpgs you can possibly get with whatever car you are driving by changing your driving techniques. So far I am getting 5 mpg over the top epa rating for my vehicle. It makes the drive to work a bit more interesting and has saved me some coin. I am not really doing it for the money saving aspect but it is a bonus.

Anyone else like this kind of thing?

What kind of techniques do you use clam?

What kind of techniques do you use clam?

I coast in neutral a lot. I have also been planning my routes better with the 1st stop at the farthest point. I also no longer use the drive thru and just go inside.

By the way, I still am at or above the speed limit. I just accelerate more slowly.

Clam,

What make model vehicle are you driving?

Rick

I coast in neutral a lot. I have also been planning my routes better with the 1st stop at the farthest point. I also no longer use the drive thru and just go inside.

By the way, I still am at or above the speed limit. I just accelerate more slowly.

Coasting in neutral isn't the safest thing to do clam. If you need to get moving in a hurry, you might forget you are in neutral.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_economy-maximizing_behaviors

Excerpt:
Coasting or gliding
The alternative to acceleration and braking is coasting, i.e. gliding along without propulsion. Coasting is an efficient means of slowing down, because kinetic energy is dissipated as aerodynamic drag and rolling resistance, which must always be overcome by the vehicle during travel. When coasting with the engine running and manual transmission in neutral, or clutch depressed, there will still be some fuel consumption due to the engine needing to maintain idle engine speed. While coasting with the engine running and the transmission in gear, most cars' engine control unit with fuel injection will cut off fuel supply, and the engine will continue running, being driven by the wheels. Compared to coasting in neutral, this has an increased drag, but has the added safety benefit of being able to react in any sudden change in a potential dangerous traffic situation, and being in the right gear when acceleration is required.[24]

Didn't know was it was called, but I've been doing this for the last week now haha
I've gotten 5 more mpg's since I started :D

I do hyper-mile. 1995 Mazda protégé 1.5 liter 5 speed. I got 56 mpg combined city-hwy. with my first one. I get 48 mpg with the second one which needs a EGR boost solenoid. I have it on order. I gutted the first one, did some aero mods,
grill block off, under shroud, EOC, drafting. I may get a scan-gauge for it as it is OBD 1 with some OBD II ports. Kinda fun to do. Don't know if anyone else does this now so if no one else sorry to revive a zombie thread.

Back