Are You A Mudder?

If forecast calls for prolonged rain I will reschedule. If its a slight possibility, I will go play. I don't mind getting rained on just a bit, it can sometimes make it cool down a bit, but usually in Texas summers it just makes it worse and more humid.

If there isn't lightning involved, I'll play. I will still start a round with light rain, drizzle, etc.. If it starts to rain while on the course, I will play through it. My usual partners, not so much. I was paired with a young fellow a couple of weeks ago and it started raining on the 3rd tee box. You would have thought it was raining lava, the guy jumped in his cart and headed for home. I continued to play as a single and the rain stopped before I putted out on the 3rd hole. The rest of the day was beautiful.

In the past year I've played in both rain and snow. I would actually prefer the chill air to rain but if I'm dressed appropriately I wouldn't mind either. The rain it was very warm and I had on a hat and it was a light drizzle. The snow I walked back and grabbed my beanie and just kept on.

Only IF it's a course I never get to play. Usually for Travel Golf ONLY.

Home or local course.....

If it's rainy but the course is still playable, then yes. That's what rain gear is for!

If there's puddles on the green and the rain's coming down sideways, then napping on the couch is a better choice.

Yeah I'm a mudder. As long as the course is open I'll get out there. I don't get to golf nearly as often as I'd like so there's no way rain is going to stop me haha.

If I've already started and it's pouring, I'll hole up somewhere under shelter and see if it quits... while watching the weather radar app on my phone.:D
If I'm about to go out and it's pouring, nope. I'll either wait it out or take a raincheck.
If I'm about to go out and it's drizzle-ish or an occasional raindrop, I'll head out.

When I will play in the rain:

1. If it is in the forecast, but not raining when I head to the course.
2. If it starts raining during the round.
3. If it is a light drizzle.

When I will not play:

1. It is still pouring when I get to the golf course.
2. Thunderstorms.
3. Standing water on the greens.

Last edited:
Light-to-moderate rain and no lightning? Sure.

The downpours we've gotten all summer that drop 2-3 inches in 30 mins? Nope.

For me, that’s about a 90% hard no. If i was at an event or playing with buddies from out of town, I’d grin and go at it. Otherwise, I’m sleeping in. I will play in a mist or rain off it starts during the round.

The only time I'll play in the rain is if the round is during a THP experience, outside of that my preference is to stay dry during the round (not including the sweating I do during the round haha). I rarely book tee times well in advance, so it is pretty easy to avoid the rain.

I have spent too much money on rain gear and waterproof shoes that I will play in the rain. Has to be pretty terrible conditions for me to not get a round in.

I've been a "mudder" since I picked up the game back in 1974.

yeah, rain doesn't bother me much. Unless it's a monsoon.

Nope, not really! In Houston, after it rains, the humidity and the heat is a nightmare

No sir

Absolutely! My gold shoes are waterproof for a reason.

I keep my rain gear in my bag at all times. The course is less crowded during the rain which is a plus.

Nope. Too old for that crap. Just not enjoyable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

not a chance. If its 80% - 100% forecast before our round we'll cancel and reschedule... I love golf but not enough to go get poured on before even starting

Like the question says tho if it starts raining mid round then ill try my best to finish since im already there and wet

No. We get so little rain that I generally just treat that as my break from golf for the couple weeks of rain we get. I definitely will play in muddy conditions or if it is a light sprinkle.

No

It's why I purchased some good rain gear! Not afraid to practice in the elements. And - don't mind a good round in the rain.

Used to absolutely love being out there in the rain. Heading to the course like an hour early, warming up in the rain, practicing playing in different conditions.

Now? If it is raining, I am probably not getting out of bed to head to the course.

Light rain, sure. I'll play. Big ol' fat rain sends me scurrying.

Back