Once you tee the ball up, how long does it take you to hit the ball?

War Eagle

the Beags of THP...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Rum
Watching some guys on tour who take an absurd amount of time on the tee box standing over the ball got me thinking... Once you put the ball on the tee, how much time does it take you to setup, aim, etc...before you put club to ball?

I dont like to think when I am on the tee box, so while others are hitting I select my target line before even stepping up to the markers. Once I tee the ball, I set my feet and swing, only giving a slight glance to my target since it was predetermined. I would say the entire sequence takes between 5-7 seconds. Step up, get it done, bomb it.

Do you take your time at setup, or do you just go bombs away?

15-20 seconds would be my guess. Enough to go behind the ball quickly, get my target, walk up, settle over the ball and swing. I don't often take a practice swing unless I'm working on something.

I did a video on this last year because I wanted to find out if I was a 'slow player' I'll try to find the video later but I believe it was something like 25 - 30 seconds.

Edit:
Ah, I was wrong 21.1 seconds.
Here it is

Wow.... I was swinging so slow last year. So glad I started speed training this off season.

Last edited:
It’s ironic that you made this tread. Took a video on course today and it was 20 seconds from tee in ground to swing start.

15-20 seconds would be my guess. Enough to go behind the ball quickly, get my target, walk up, settle over the ball and swing. I don't often take a practice swing unless I'm working on something.
*Check for trees.

Probably 20 seconds or so.

i tee up...someone in the group makes a joke about me hitting it in the woods, i step back and look at the fairway, maybe 1 or 2 practice swings and then go. I'm guessing the whole thing takes about 25 to 30 seconds

Not very long. No pracrtice swing. Less than 10 seconds.

Probably no more than 15 seconds

I’d say 15-20 seconds. Once the tee is in the ground I step back to pick my line, walk up to the ball and set up. From set up I usually hit within 3-5 seconds

15-20 seconds at most, outside of the random line change or just blanking out and needing to reset. That doesn’t happen super often though.

15-20 seconds at most, outside of the random line change or just blanking out and needing to reset. That doesn’t happen super often though.
Or someone cracking a joke in your backswing about having to go to a meeting or not.

*Check for trees.
talk with @War Eagle for 65 seconds to confirm that we can hit a low ball under that branch.

Fast forward 30 seconds

spend next 315,360,000 seconds on not believing that we hit that branch.

Probably 20-30 seconds. It takes me a while to get my feet set then it’s bombs away

I did a video on this last year because I wanted to find out if I was a 'slow player' I'll try to find the video later but I believe it was something like 25 - 30 seconds.

Edit:
Here it is

You’re actually only about 14 seconds because your tee was in the ground at 7 seconds in the video. You’re not slow at all.

I’m about the same. We have a few buddies who are very slow, so we’ve timed them and us sporadically throughout the years. I was in the 12 to 16 second range once the tee was in the ground, my regular buddies about the same. But one of the offenders was 45 seconds. 45 seconds after the tee was in the ground. His combined slowness on 2nd or approach shots was even worse.

But that was back in NY. Here, the slowest friend has been 35 seconds average post tee insertion. And same with the NY buddy, his 2nd/approach shot pace is worse. He refuses to believe that he’s slow.

Probably between 30 and 45 seconds, on average.

20-30 seconds. I need a good practice swing.

Not long. I tee the ball up, step behind it to find my line, walk in and get setup and swing.

10-15 seconds probably.

You’re actually only about 14 seconds because your tee was in the ground at 7 seconds in the video. You’re not slow at all.

I’m about the same. We have a few buddies who are very slow, so we’ve timed them and us sporadically throughout the years. I was in the 12 to 16 second range once the tee was in the ground, my regular buddies about the same. But one of the offenders was 45 seconds. 45 seconds after the tee was in the ground. His combined slowness on 2nd or approach shots was even worse.

But that was back in NY. Here, the slowest friend has been 35 seconds average post tee insertion. And same with the NY buddy, his 2nd/approach shot pace is worse. He refuses to believe that he’s slow.
Oh yeah, that's a good point. Sometimes I can be a bit slower probably if it's a new course I'm not familiar with or a difficult tee shot but I'd say it would be very rare for me to be over 30 seconds.

It could be all the fiddling with the camera pre and post-shot that makes me slower than some though :ROFLMAO:. Still finish all my rounds under the course-prescribed pace of play though so I don't really care.

Edit:
Here it is

Wow.... I was swinging so slow last year. So glad I started speed training this off season.

I’d say my routine is pretty similar. About 20 seconds.

Tee it up
Half swing
2 waggles

10-15 seconds max

Not long... Tee it up, line it up, look where I'm aiming, swing. 10-15 seconds maybe... if that.

Back