Best way to clean this rust off irons

Drewsalem

Reaction score
Handicap
I bought these Mizuno mx20’s off ebay a few years back and i love playing them. Description said something about professionally refinishing them (can’t recall the exact phrase). They looked super clean in pics so for $100 I figured why not. I’m no expert, but it seems like maybe they took a very thin layer of metal off somehow, thats my best guess. The groove section which normally has a clear line separating it
From rest of face and a different finish to that section seemed more faint than usual. Not 100% sure tho as I never saw these clubs new.

Anyways, i used iron covers for a while and inadvertently allowed moisture to sit on the heads and it developed this rust. It’s more than just surface rust and seems to only be in certain spots where I’m guessing the finish was removed more. Not all clubs are affected, only 4 or 5. What is the best way to get this off without damaging the club or rest of finish? Once it’s off, if i keep them clean and dry I assume I’ll be able to keep it off, but so far light steel wool and wire wheel aren’t much of a match for it. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_3687.jpeg
    IMG_3687.jpeg
    71 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3686.jpeg
    IMG_3686.jpeg
    150.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3685.jpeg
    IMG_3685.jpeg
    144.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3689.jpeg
    IMG_3689.jpeg
    136.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3684.jpeg
    IMG_3684.jpeg
    109.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3688.jpeg
    IMG_3688.jpeg
    79.1 KB · Views: 22
Coke or CLR bath. Or WD40 spray to start.

Pick up a brass wire wheel that can be chucked in a drill (or drill press). Run it in a slow speed and work the metal against the wire tips. The brass won’t be as abrasive and should take care of surface rust.

Pick up a brass wire wheel that can be chucked in a drill (or drill press). Run it in a slow speed and work the metal against the wire tips. The brass won’t be as abrasive and should take care of surface rust.
That's a good idea. I have steel ones, but seems too aggressive. I'll give that a try. Thanks!

I’ve done it and the paint fill wasn’t affected. Others might have a different experience

WD40 and a ball of aluminum foil to scrub the rust off.

Last edited:
Naval Jelly.

Wet paper towel in vinegar and cover the rust with the wet towel for a couple of hours. The vinegar will dissolve the rust. Use 0000 grade steel wool regularly to keep the heads and metal shafts rust free.

I bought these Mizuno mx20’s off ebay a few years back and i love playing them. Description said something about professionally refinishing them (can’t recall the exact phrase). They looked super clean in pics so for $100 I figured why not. I’m no expert, but it seems like maybe they took a very thin layer of metal off somehow, thats my best guess. The groove section which normally has a clear line separating it
From rest of face and a different finish to that section seemed more faint than usual. Not 100% sure tho as I never saw these clubs new.

Anyways, i used iron covers for a while and inadvertently allowed moisture to sit on the heads and it developed this rust. It’s more than just surface rust and seems to only be in certain spots where I’m guessing the finish was removed more. Not all clubs are affected, only 4 or 5. What is the best way to get this off without damaging the club or rest of finish? Once it’s off, if i keep them clean and dry I assume I’ll be able to keep it off, but so far light steel wool and wire wheel aren’t much of a match for it. Any suggestions are appreciated.
BTW I still have a set of those irons around. I picked them up at an estate sale and liked them too much to donate. Played them for a year. Now they are guest clubs.

1000001250.jpg
Was quite surprised how well these work. I get this version for the tough jobs in the garage as the normal ones can come apart quickly. Not for really rough surfaces as these will still come apart. For the final layer removal these are indeed magic.

View attachment 9245133
Was quite surprised how well these work. I get this version for the tough jobs in the garage as the normal ones can come apart quickly. Not for really rough surfaces as these will still come apart. For the final layer removal these are indeed magic.
On rust? Really! Never would have guessed that, I would have CLR’ed it.

On rust? Really! Never would have guessed that, I would have CLR’ed it.
Yup, was shocked myself. Use it on my raw Callaway wedge. Granted we don't have as much humidity up here so they don't rust very fast.

Wouldn't come off and didn't want to wait and soak, so I tried one of the normal ones. Shocked I tell ya. They did fall apart more than the heavy duty one's. Why I switched.

Also, they take the ball marks off the face of the club :oops:

Yup, was shocked myself. Use it on my raw Callaway wedge. Granted we don't have as much humidity up here so they don't rust very fast.

Wouldn't come off and didn't want to wait and soak, so I tried one of the normal ones. Shocked I tell ya. They did fall apart more than the heavy duty one's. Why I switched.

Also, they take the ball marks off the face of the club :oops:
What about the hosel? Important.

View attachment 9245133
I use magic erasers all the time and am amazed at what they do all the time. I don't know why I forget the exist all the time lol! Thanks for the tip.

Reactions: J4U
BTW I still have a set of those irons around. I picked them up at an estate sale and liked them too much to donate. Played them for a year. Now they are guest clubs.
I honestly don't know why companies aren't doing this more. Perfect balance of all worlds for me. Easy hit. Awesome feel. Good feedback. Consisten distance. I was playing Titleist DCI Oversize + since I was like 10 years old and in the last few years decided to try "new tech" stuff. I tried a few GI clubs and realized, I don't need the extra distance and I can't stand the "fliers" you get and lack of distance. Found these and they are just perfect for me. I've dreamed about "upgrading" to MP54's some day, but hard to find a set in good shape now a days. I try to stay a good decade behind the trends.

Verdict is in. Vinegar soak for a couple hours worked great and didn’t seem to damage paint fill at all. They still look bad, but at least the rust is gone. If I buffed and repolished these, could I get them back to a somewhat even chrome look? Might be worth it…theres so little bag chatter.

Attachments

• IMG_3836.jpeg
    IMG_3836.jpeg
    136.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3835.jpeg
    IMG_3835.jpeg
    121.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3843.jpeg
    IMG_3843.jpeg
    114.4 KB · Views: 12
I say polish them, then play them!

Verdict is in. Vinegar soak for a couple hours worked great and didn’t seem to damage paint fill at all. They still look bad, but at least the rust is gone. If I buffed and repolished these, could I get them back to a somewhat even chrome look? Might be worth it…theres so little bag chatter.

In the future, before you try anything mechanically abrasive, just hit it with some Barkeeper's Friend (oxalic acid powder). It's both acidic and a mild abrasive. Just grab a moist paper towel and put enough powder to make a paste, then scrub with it before rinsing in the hottest water you can stand. It's usually enough to make clubs look like-new without resorting to steel wool, wire brush, or sanding.

If you want to give them a mirror finish, wet them with penetrating oil then hit them with 400 grit one direction and then 1000 grit in the opposite direction. It'll become a black oily mess so do it outside, but you want to keep it wet. Finish with something like Flitz or another polish after degreasing the whole thing. I have a bunch of buffing wheel attachments for my dremel. Brought back a crusty old Ping Pal 4 to a mirror finish as a boredom project lol.

Last edited:
Back