Take more club and swing easier - or - take less club and swing harder…?

Trying to hit it harder takes my out of my normal swing tempo and ruins everything. Also, easing off for me results in a sloppy swing. I take the longer club, grip down, and swing normally.

But I do have a story ...

The Men's Club had a three clubs and putter day. I picked a 2-hybrid, 7-iron, and sand wedge for my three clubs. I found myself on the first fairway in the exact middle of the ~60-yard gap between the hybrid and the iron. I thought that taking 30 yards off the hybrid was a bad idea--easing up that much never works, so the only choice left was to gear up with the 7. (Lay up with the 7 and pitch on? Are you kidding?) So I spent about a minute gearing up mentally and practiced a few insane lashes at the ball and stepped up for the shot. Wham! The ball flew 170 and landed on the green, +30 yards farther than normal. And I swore to myself that I would never do that again. And I haven't.

I always try and swing easier with the longer club.

Which is your “normal” golf nature… to take more club and swing easier… OR … to take less club and swing harder..???
I take more club. I find I have better control when I do. Plus at 68, I don't really go after it anymore. No sense in risking a possible injury.

More club almost every time. A harder swing usually produces more spin and a tendency to be shorter.

Almost always take a shorter club and swing harder. Rather be a little bit short than too long.

I tend to club up more than swing harder. There's a balance though. If I find myself having to take too much off after clubbing up, then it could easily go just as bad.

Some of that decision is really based on what's in front of me. If long is dead and I'm in between clubs to the pin distance I'm taking less club but still a standard, normal swing... If its ends up short I'm still playing... if short is dead and long is okay I'm taking more club and maybe choke down 1/2" and take a normal swing... anytime I try to muscle up or swing easy I'll either hit a muscled shot fat or swinging easy I'm thinning it and either hitting a 2 iron short or I'm spitting watermelon seeds with the trajectory.

Swing easy means hit it fat for my game.

Depends on circumstances too , the shot maybe heading up or down elevation … or hazards pending .

I’ve read by @Daluteh , he’s not good enough to force it … l agree with him entirely . Better to take higher % shot than the hero hit ….

I hope iam smart enough to recognise more when it’s beyond my capability

I just don't have a longer swing in me. I have never, and I mean never, been able to muscle out another 5 yards on a well-struck shot. Either I duff it, or the ball flight does something horrible.

So yeah. Stock yardage is my cap. I will go shorter, I never go longer.

More club.Speeding up my swing always causes me trouble.

Depends upon the situation. I always have 10% in the tank on my "stock" shots. If I want or can live with more spin, more club and swing harder. If I want or can live with more roll out, less club and swing easier, an option used more frequently into the wind than elsewhere.

Depends on where the pin is every time. Sometimes it calls for hitting the shorter club harder. Sometimes you have to feather it.

Sometimes you go to feather it and pull the absolutely hell out of it over the green anyway 🙄

When I’m swinging well for the day, jumping on a swing here and there tends to be the preferred and most beneficial play. When not, pulling more club is always the play.

It’s all about confidence and trust. When I’m swinging well, pulling more club will tend to invite more thought and therefore a little uncertainty for me. While the opposite is true on the average or poor day. Clubbing up will invite more confidence and help to clear my mind.

My nature was always swing harder. Recently that switched and I’ve started going more club and swing easy. The scores are definitely improving taking this route. Still have to catch myself sometimes though

Back