Take more club and swing easier - or - take less club and swing harder…?

jpgolf

“JP”
Reaction score
Handicap
Which is your “normal” golf nature… to take more club and swing easier… OR … to take less club and swing harder..???

Ego pushes me to “muscle up” and try to hit that shot I hit one time on the range. It nearly always fails.

I’ve been making the effort to do the opposite lately. It doesn’t always have a good result but it yields greater success and misses are usually in better shape.

I usually approach greens with a less than 100% swing. For me to take less club and swing easier throws off my tempo.

It also depends on where the hole is. A front pin is a different strategy than a back pin.

I tend to mess up worse on soft swings as I’m handsy in the swing and don’t delay them properly so I’ll go swing hard, or a normal 1 club up as Shot Scope says I’m short more often than not.

When I try to hit it further, my backswing gets longer and I actually hit the ball shorter. Longer club and swing easy works for my mindset.

Easy route, always. In addition I’m trying to “miss long” in order to stop missing short. Getting pretty good at tricking myself these days. Ha!

I tend to hit the longer clubs straighter if I’m taking a full, free, swing and don’t try to steer it. With wedges and short irons I almost never push a club past my “normal” distance. I’m more accurate with the shorter clubs if I take more club and choke down or do a partial swing.

probably 50-50 ...a lot depends on where the pin is. Swing harder if short is better and swing easy if long is better

Mine, on all full swings is to take more club, and just swing the club with my normal tempo, and rhythm.

I know I never swing harder/faster. That has never worked out well for me.

Walk softly and carry a longer stick.

Swinging hard doesn’t do anything for me so I almost always go more club and swing easier. Only way I might consider the other is if I need some height.

Typically I take one more club and swing more relaxed (vs. easier). Maybe choke up a little. On those rare great ball striking days when I seem to be swinging exceptionally well, I will take less club and swing more firmly.

swinging easy and trying to guide the ball is what I"m doing wrong right now. I need to get myself back in the mode of swing hard and hit the ball!

Swinging harder rarely works out well for me.

Which is your “normal” golf nature… to take more club and swing easier… OR … to take less club and swing harder..???

Depends on your game -- I now take an extra club and I don't necessarily swing easier. But feeling like I don't have to swing outta my shoes will keep my tempo in check - smooth and slower. On the downswing, you don't want to think easier, at least I do not, I think speed and follow through. But when that front hip opens, I want some speed.

I pretty much only go shorter club swing harder if I need extra height.

I flipped a switch last season. I started hitting the shorter club ( ie the club I was hoping for before getting the actual distance ).
For me at least, the results were better hitting the club I was most comfortable with a little harder.

I tend to swing easy on most of my shots and found I can hit it a bit farther if I swing harder, but to too hard.

I try to push myself to take one extra club and swing 75%-- don't always do what I'm supposed to but here we are.

I’ll add I might try to just choke down and swing normal instead of a normal grip and less swing. All depends on what my gut says. Also why I love grips built up at the bottom.

Also not pretending I’ve got it all figured out either. 😉

Ego played a roll years ago, but I will club up now. If I fly the green (which is very rare), so be it. There is not a ton of trouble behind most greens that I play. If I miss hit it, then the front of the green is still in play.

Muscle up. I know I am going to pull it a little, aim further left. I would rather be short than long on most courses

I think the general rule is do not go full speed from 8i through wedges. I guess it's speed or 3/4 swing. Read that in several places over the years. There are always exceptions

Back