The 60 and over Thread

The point the video was they to make was if we assume a 5% loss with the ball rollback,…….
Can we assume that the rollback will uniform across all club speeds? I don’t know that we can. Right now, a player with a swing speed of 120 can gain 10 or 15 yards by choosing one ball like a ProV1 over another ball. A player with an 80 mph swing speed doesn’t see much if any difference in distance between different balls. By the time the new, rolled back balls are introduced, us guys who are already over 60 are going to lose distance just because we are getting older anyway. But, like a lot of guys here, we’ll just blame any problems with our game on the equipment not on our lack of skill.

Has anyone tried both the Gen 5 and 6? I’d love to hear your thoughts.
I have both and hit them equally as well. Both fairway finders and as long as any I have hit but hitting the driver has always been the best part of my game.

The Smart Sole 64⁰ lob has won a permanent slot.
I have a 58° but only use it sparingly around the green. Need to be able to get under the ball to strike the middle of the clubface.

A few months back I played a 16 year old driver for a week or so. I was surprised at how well it performed. I wasn't fit for it, and it had the factory shaft in it.

On a side note, I counted my ProV1x stash tonight: 55 dozen, all in great condition. I probably have 7 dozen ProV1's and at least 5 dozen other premium golf balls, along with 10 or so dozen of mid-tier golf balls. Didn't pay for any of them. My home course is littered with hazards, so in addition to finding golf balls, I lose my fair share.
What are you going to do with 660 ProV1x’s? By the time I worked my way through those balls, I would be in my 80’s.

How many days or months or years were required to accumulate 55 dozen?

What are you going to do with 660 ProV1x’s? By the time I worked my way through those balls, I would be in my 80’s.

How many days or months or years were required to accumulate 55 dozen?
As I said, my home course is littered with hazards, so I lose my share, lol.

I don't know how long as the search for golf balls never ends. Though this year I will be cutting back my search efforts. I really don't feel like dealing with briars, fallen branches, and ticks anymore, lol.

65 year old LH golfer from Middle TN, playing white or gold tees now. Playing in the Golfweek Sr. Am Tour and also the Amateur Players Tour where they move you up if your 60 and over and also depending on your handicap. Have found that the Mitsubishi Vanquish shafts are really good for my age. Gained a good 10 to 20 yards using them. I also play the Taylor Made Original One with a Vanquish shaft. I really like the smaller head and the shorter shaft than my driver. I use it as a fairway finder and as a 2-3 Fairway wood. The head size and the shaft length remind me of my old Titleist 975 driver which was when I was driving the ball the best. Interested in seeing this new Titleist TSR Mini that hit the approved club list. Hope they offer something more in the 11.5 range like the Taylormade than just the 13 degree shown on the approved list. Heck, I just hope they make it left handed lol.
Current clubs. Titleist TSi4, TM Original One 11.5, Titleist TSi 4 wood and TSR 7 wood. Mizuno 923 Hot Metals 5 thru G and Titleist Vokey Wedges(current set up 54 and 58) Titleist Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport Putter (current putter in bag) Playing both Titleist Pro V1 and Srixon Z-Star Diamond.

Can we assume that the rollback will uniform across all club speeds? I don’t know that we can. Right now, a player with a swing speed of 120 can gain 10 or 15 yards by choosing one ball like a ProV1 over another ball. A player with an 80 mph swing speed doesn’t see much if any difference in distance between different balls. By the time the new, rolled back balls are introduced, us guys who are already over 60 are going to lose distance just because we are getting older anyway. But, like a lot of guys here, we’ll just blame any problems with our game on the equipment not on our lack of skill.
There is a way to find out now. A Pinacle Soft ball meets the new standard. Buy a sleeve and hit a few to compare with your gamer.

Speaking of distance. Last Thursday it was walking only at the club, so we played a 5some. 2 of the guys in that group were under 65, so they play the Blue tees at events. However, to make it easy, we all played from the Whites, so 2 of them moved up. The 50 yo hit about the same length drives as the 2 oldest and the 63 yo was he shortest of the group. He was 10-20 yards shorter than the 2 oldest (we were the longest) and the tees he normally plays from are back 30-40 yards. Let’s just say he was not happy.

Dumbest thing I’ve heard at the club is a 19 handicap who is 72 not wanting to move up to the blue tees because he’d have to give up 3 handicap strokes. Good grief, he’s giving up 6 or 7 shots playing back there.

Played the muni today. I hit driver on 13 of the 14 driving holes hitting 11 fairways. I hit a wedge or less for an approach shot on 10 of the 14 holes. Longest club into a par 4 was a 6 iron. On the par 3s I hit 9I, 8I, 5H and 5H. 10 GIR, 29 putts 36-38 74. Pretty much how the pros play their 7200 yard courses.

I have a 58° but only use it sparingly around the green. Need to be able to get under the ball to strike the middle of the clubface.
If you mean the vertical middle of the club face, absolutely not. That is way too high on the face, the ball will come out floaty, high and spinless, if you didnt lay the sod over it getting that high on the face. Fat city. 3-4 grooves up is good tor a 58.

Not only can we not assume a 5% rollback that is uniform across all club speeds, but we can't assume a 5% rollback in distance PERIOD. The ball and club manufacturers have about 5 years to figure out how to enhance balls and clubs using the new standards. Despite what the USGA and R&A suggested, they have no magic crystal ball that tells them what the future holds.

Not only can we not assume a 5% rollback that is uniform across all club speeds, but we can't assume a 5% rollback in distance PERIOD. The ball and club manufacturers have about 5 years to figure out how to enhance balls and clubs using the new standards. Despite what the USGA and R&A suggested, they have no magic crystal ball that tells them what the future holds.
I figure that in 5 years, I will have my own personal 5% rollback.

I've had a 25 % roll back in the last few years, don't need anymore.

If you mean the vertical middle of the club face, absolutely not. That is way too high on the face, the ball will come out floaty, high and spinless, if you didn't lay the sod over it getting that high on the face. Fat city. 3-4 grooves up is good tor a 58.
That makes good sense but I'm still leery of using a lob wedge when faced with a tight lie.

That makes good sense but I'm still leery of using a lob wedge when faced with a tight lie.
Pitches-Keep your weight on your front foot. See where the bottom of your stroke is. Play the ball .5 ball back from there. Use a mid bounce wedge at the most.
Chips, weight forward again, open the blade and use the bounce. Let the bounce hit the ground .5" behind the ball and slide the blade under the ball.

I won't be playing a rolled-back golf ball. Period. I'm not going to allow some monolithic entity to dictate what ball I can or cannot use.

That’s when you can make it spin!

I figure that in 5 years, I will have my own personal 5% rollback.
Don’t remind me of advancing age! :LOL:Time to move forward!

Has any old timers notice the trend from back in the day is shafts are much more butt heavy these days?

It's now wonder I was struggling with newer clubs they all seem to be butt heavy. The 430 CB shaft was the worst culprit.

Any reason the industry has moved to counter balance and balance points from where the butt has much more weight.

What is the objective? MOI, Torque? I absolutely hate the trend. It's seems to put more stress on the wrists if you ask me. Maybe it's just my swing.

Thoughts?

Has any old timers notice the trend from back in the day is shafts are much more butt heavy these days?

It's now wonder I was struggling with newer clubs they all seem to be butt heavy. The 430 CB shaft was the worst culprit.

Any reason the industry has moved to counter balance and balance points from where the butt has much more weight.

What is the objective? MOI, Torque? I absolutely hate the trend. It's seems to put more stress on the wrists if you ask me. Maybe it's just my swing.

Thoughts?
Generally, I believe that the counter balanced shafts are designed so that the heads can be heavier and the club will retain traditional swing weight. A prime example is the Ping drivers, which are almost always heavier heads. Another theory behind it is that a lighter feeling club can lead to increased swing speed.

Last edited:

Thoughts?
It’s not really an industry trend, but Ping is doing this more and more as their heads are heavy comparatively.

It’s not really an industry trend, but Ping is doing this more and more as their heads are heavy comparatively.
Indeed. And the new 10K is hot at the same time. Like 4% longer than my G430 Max after 20 of ea. Tighter dispersion as well. Trying to hold off a generation, but my will is weakening.

Last edited:
Generally, I believe that the counter balanced shafts are designed so that the heads can be heavier and the club will retain traditional swing weight. A prime example is the Ping drivers, which are almost always heavier heads. Another theory behind it is that a lighter feeling club can lead to increased swing speed.
Yeah I think they went overboard on the 430 CB as it has the same head weight as 425 but the butt weight is much heavier.

My Stealth stock KBS is also much butt heavier than my old Cobra s9 Nippon 900 nx. Both have same head weight and shaft weight.

I just don't like this heavier butt thing as it creates havoc with my old wrists.🤣

Played 9 this morning, didn't hit the ball partially well but scored well. Got my first birdie of the year on #6, my playing biddy said is that a 3. I had to count my stokes and I said yeah that's 3 . So I had a birdie and 2 pars, a couple doubles and the rest boogies. The putter was great, made several 8 to 10 foot putts. Hit my 3 hybrid good today, think I'm going all hybrids. 3,4,5,6,7,8 will be hybrids.

Played 9 this morning, didn't hit the ball partially well but scored well. Got my first birdie of the year on #6, my playing biddy said is that a 3. I had to count my stokes and I said yeah that's 3 . So I had a birdie and 2 pars, a couple doubles and the rest boogies. The putter was great, made several 8 to 10 foot putts. Hit my 3 hybrid good today, think I'm going all hybrids. 3,4,5,6,7,8 will be hybrids.
I went to a 6 hybrid over the winter. Still don't know why, my 6I hasn't ticked me off. But I like the hybrid. So now my bag is 5 wedges, 4woods, one hybrid and 3 irons, 7-9.
It sounds so weird to say. 30 years ago it was driver, 3 wood, 1-9, pw, sw, lw and I was a + player. Only thing I could do today with my old long irons I used to hit beautiful high fades with is kill worms and cuss.

I’ve been dealing with some back issues for the past 2 weeks or so and took the second of a 5 package lesson plan I signed up for yesterday.
I had planned to finally play a round again today but after hitting a bunch of balls within that time period, I woke up this morning and my back was stiff as a board, so I canceled. it was probably the smart thing to do and after being up and about for a while, I’m fine.
The plan is to hit the range tomorrow, work on what she showed me yesterday, then get back on the horse Thursday morning.

Back