The 60 and over Thread

Went to dermatologist last week, got results back from biopsy and it's skin cancer. The good news it's stage 0 and hasn't spread anywhere. Go in Monday to finish the job and find out how long I will be unable to play. Hopefully not long.
What type of skin cancer? I've never had melanoma but have had both squamous cell and basal cell carcinomas. I've had Mohs surgery 3-times, most recently in 2019 which left an open wound in my neck about the size of a quarter that took about a month to heal. The scaring is minimal, however, as Mohs is the closest thing to plastic surgery in the Dermatology world.

It's great that this was caught early, best of luck!

Congrats! If you shot a 44 with some average shots, then 39 isn’t as far off as you may think! There’s your new goal IMO.
I've got my new goal....39 it is!

Went to dermatologist last week, got results back from biopsy and it's skin cancer. The good news it's stage 0 and hasn't spread anywhere. Go in Monday to finish the job and find out how long I will be unable to play. Hopefully not long.
Do you know what type of skin cancer? There are various types, some more serious than others. I personally am susceptible to Basil Cell Carcinomas. I have had them removed either with radiation (right forearm and upper lip just under the nose) and via MOHS surgery (scalp and left jaw). I believe this type, caught early enough and being the most common of skin cancers, typically is localized. I go in for a cancer screening twice per year due to the amount of golf I play and my sun exposure.

Do you know what type of skin cancer? There are various types, some more serious than others. I personally am susceptible to Basil Cell Carcinomas. I have had them removed either with radiation (right forearm and upper lip just under the nose) and via MOHS surgery (scalp and left jaw). I believe this type, caught early enough and being the most common of skin cancers, typically is localized. I go in for a cancer screening twice per year due to the amount of golf I play and my sun exposure.

I feel what BH had was Melanoma in situ is also called stage 0 melanoma. It means there are cancer cells in the top layer of skin (the epidermis). Yes he did catch it early.

I can't relay enough for people to use sunblock and be sure your children and your grandchildren use sunblock. For a lot of us, older folks the damage to our skin was done when we were young.

I got a guy I need to learn to play with and not take me out of my game. Right now I’m working on my putting. I’ve changed my grip and setup to help get my hands out of it and I am not comfortable over the ball yet. I’m taking 3-4 practice swings, lining it up, relaxing and hitting the putt. So, for now, it’s taking a little longer than I like, but not a lot. This guy is a grip it and rip it. However, we we went out as singles, with not one in front of us, both walking with out electric trolleys, I’d beat him around by 30 minutes.

He said something a couple times today, which pisses me off. I don’t think he realizes he’s triggering my ODD, which slows me down on the greens even more. I’ll just be like whatever and just keep playing my game. He’s a bit of a jerk at times and the best way to deal is to not let it bother me, or at least no to appear to let it bother me. Anyway, I’ll keep taking his money. I’d just like to play better while I’m doing it.

The report said melanoma in situ which is stage 0.

What type of skin cancer? I've never had melanoma but have had both squamous cell and basal cell carcinomas. I've had Mohs surgery 3-times, most recently in 2019 which left an open wound in my neck about the size of a quarter that took about a month to heal. The scaring is minimal, however, as Mohs is the closest thing to plastic surgery in the Dermatology world.

It's great that this was caught early, best of luck!
My wife had MOHs procedure on her nose, she got from radiation treatment for breast cancer. Which she beat, after double mastectomy.

Since we’re on this topic, I’ve had both basil and squamous, but not for a couple of years now. But I’m fairly religious when it comes to sunblock and otherwise covering exposed areas. The PSA I’ve given my friends and family ever since my concerns: the sun is not your friend.

I have a spot on my forearm that I have an appointment to have checked....seeing the doc next month. I usually have a few A.K.'s frozen off my face and neck every year or so. Big hats and sun block are part of my "golf wardrobe!"

Played 9-holes at Pinecrest (RI) today, shooting a 9-over 44. One of my goals for this season was to "break 90" (or 45 for 9) on this course which, although fairly short is tight and has tough green complexes with great greens (a 9-holer of 2,600 yards, rating/ slope of 66.2/123), because last season I was having trouble breaking 50. I guess I'll have to set a new goal, LOL.

Despite hitting some not so good shots today, I never followed up a bad shot with a stupid one and my short game and putting were generally OK.
Good for you. From RI but only played there once. Remember it was in nice condition. Have a great season.

I have a spot on my forearm that I have an appointment to have checked....seeing the doc next month. I usually have a few A.K.'s frozen off my face and neck every year or so. Big hats and sun block are part of my "golf wardrobe!"
I’m long sleeve shirt and hat as much as possible when in the sun.

Note to self… never play a round of golf the day after taking a lesson, especially when it would be your first round in a couple weeks after back issues. You might look like an idiot out there.
Desperate times call for desperate measures… The Halos are going back in the bag and the E722’s are out. it’s no fun hitting a PW 136 yards when it never gets more than 20 feet in the air and the green is 115 yards away.

Last edited:
I got a guy I need to learn to play with and not take me out of my game. Right now I’m working on my putting. I’ve changed my grip and setup to help get my hands out of it and I am not comfortable over the ball yet. I’m taking 3-4 practice swings, lining it up, relaxing and hitting the putt. So, for now, it’s taking a little longer than I like, but not a lot. This guy is a grip it and rip it. However, we we went out as singles, with not one in front of us, both walking with out electric trolleys, I’d beat him around by 30 minutes.

He said something a couple times today, which pisses me off. I don’t think he realizes he’s triggering my ODD, which slows me down on the greens even more. I’ll just be like whatever and just keep playing my game. He’s a bit of a jerk at times and the best way to deal is to not let it bother me, or at least no to appear to let it bother me. Anyway, I’ll keep taking his money. I’d just like to play better while I’m doing it.
I hope you’re winning enough money that it’s worth putting up with the guy.

Just a random thought but should a course played at 6200 yards be 10 shots easier than it being played at 7200 yards? Basically the 1000 yard difference is 2 par 5’s.

Yeah, I was bored

Just a random thought but should a course played at 6200 yards be 10 shots easier than it being played at 7200 yards? Basically the 1000 yard difference is 2 par 5’s.

Yeah, I was boreda
Depends very much on how far you can drive.

Yeah, I was bored.
No. 4-6 shots easier. The two par 5 analogy doesn’t work because of the four putts.

Because I am relatively fair skinned with freckles, I see the skin doc every 6 months. Had my check-up earlier this week and she found no areas of concern. Over the last couple of years, the skin doc is the only one who doesn't find something wrong with me. :ROFLMAO:

Depends very much on how far you can drive.
That plus the length of all your GIR attempts. Above a certain distance (140 yds for me), the likelihood of GIRs drops way off.

Its then a matter of how many one putt pars you can make after getting on the green in GIR+1.

Was just going to be a practice day, but I started out pretty well and decided to keep going. 7 fairways, 6 GIR, 28 putts 38-38 76 switched back to the Odessey Versa putter from the Ping Anser II as it won the putter playoff.

Yeah, I was bored
Random answer. No. Here's why.

You are still playing 18 holes. Two shots per hole are designated for putting. That doesn't change when the course gets longer. So, the way you looked at it, the distance of two par 5s would add 6 shots, not 10.

But there is more!

The added length isn't across two holes, it's across 18 holes and not spread evenly. If it was evenly that would add 56 yards per hole. That 100-yard par 3 on the shorter course is now a 156-yard hole. Still very makable in 3 strokes or whatever you would normally shoot on a par 3. Also, sometimes a longer course simply exchanges length as the course's major defense for other factors that provide defense on a shorter course. That is why for example a mountain course with narrow fairways (when it has them), landing zones where it doesn't, lots of doglegs, and forced carries at 5,200 yards can have the same course index as a 6,700 yard parkland course where most holes go up and down beside each other with only a few trees and traps to navigate. OTOH, that 400-yard par 4 dogleg right on the shorter course that is now a 456-yard dogleg right par 4 is a beast and will almost certainly cost you a stroke, maybe two.

So, the ultimate number ends up being a combination of how those extra 1,000 yards are distributed across the 18 holes, the configuration of those 18 holes on each course of tee box, and your capabilities. The statistical analysis of the bulk of the bell curve would probably be about 6 strokes +/- 3 strokes.

How's that for a random answer to a random thought?

You are still playing 18 holes. Two shots per hole are designated for putting. That doesn't change when the course gets longer. So, the way you looked at it, the distance of two par 5s would add 6 shots, not 10.

But there is more!

The added length isn't across two holes, it's across 18 holes and not spread evenly. If it was evenly that would add 56 yards per hole. That 100-yard par 3 on the shorter course is now a 156-yard hole. Still very makable in 3 strokes or whatever you would normally shoot on a par 3. Also, sometimes a longer course simply exchanges length as the course's major defense for other factors that provide defense on a shorter course. That is why for example a mountain course with narrow fairways (when it has them), landing zones where it doesn't, lots of doglegs, and forced carries at 5,200 yards can have the same course index as a 6,700 yard parkland course where most holes go up and down beside each other with only a few trees and traps to navigate. OTOH, that 400-yard par 4 dogleg right on the shorter course that is now a 456-yard dogleg right par 4 is a beast and will almost certainly cost you a stroke, maybe two.

So, the ultimate number ends up being a combination of how those extra 1,000 yards are distributed across the 18 holes, the configuration of those 18 holes on each course of tee box, and your capabilities. The statistical analysis of the bulk of the bell curve would probably be about 6 strokes +/- 3 strokes.

Hahahaha!!!! Slow night for ya?!😁

Yeah, I was bored

But there is more!

@leftshot, I think you are pretty much in track. If I move back at the club from the whites, 5900 yards, to the blues, 6300 yards, It makes a bigger difference on some holes more than others. The par 5 4th is 535 from he whites, but it’s 575 from the blues. It takes 2 good shots to get to the 150 marker from the whites. From the blues, it would take 2 good shots to get 10 yards inside the 200 yard marker. At 150 I can hit a 6 iron. At 190 it’s my fairway wood and I better hit it solid. That 40 yards adds 1/2 a stroke to the hole, at least for me. Figure 8 or 9 holes that take a mid iron out of my hand and either put a fairway in my hand or put the green out of reach and that’s 4 shots. My course handicap changes 3 strokes, but I’d have to have an extremely good round to break 80 from the blue tees. That’s only a 400 yard change.

Back