NEWS 2024 Grandaddy Announcement

@JB, excellent news as always!

As an ever hopeful first time participant (along with the other 1000 hopefuls!) I'm beyond stoked that the Grandaddy will continue! Big shoes for the Cap to wear, but in true THP fashion, I have no doubt those lucky enough to be chosen will step up and fill whatever roles/jobs/responsibilities are needed.

Here's to the Grandaddy XI 🍻

I think it's a great idea and simple, exciting way to mix things up!

Good to hear the news. I think that will be a big help having a captain with granddaddy experience. It will be exciting to see who the next captain (hopefully mine🤞) will be.

If it stays 12, I hope Captain's patience is high. If I didn't have @Mmaynard11 last year and he didn't have me...if we were alone, we would have gone CRAZY. AssCap was an important role. It will be fun to see the Captain navigate it since they are a combined job now. Here for whoever it is though!
Thankfully the group made it easy on you two throu…😂😂

Exciting news, and really for me starts to kick off the anticipation for the event.

Having joined in January I can only look back at the forum for an idea of how amazing the Grandaddy is - I'm not sure I can get a real sense of what it must be like to actually be there, or to be living it vicariously through all of the forum updates remotely, until I experience December this year.

Looking forward to seeing who gets the nod as Captain for Grandaddy XI.

I don't want to wish the summer away but roll on December !

Absolutely, however, I make no guarantees on outcome this time. Last time it looked like this...
mike tyson boxing GIF
That you, Marvis?

Wouldn't have been nearly as special if we were just normal people. Crazy is fun.

If it stays 12, I hope Captain's patience is high. If I didn't have @Mmaynard11 last year and he didn't have me...if we were alone, we would have gone CRAZY. AssCap was an important role. It will be fun to see the Captain navigate it since they are a combined job now. Here for whoever it is though!
Oh please, we were super easy and hardly an inconvenience!

I think the captain being Grandaddy proven changes that some. I also think the team navigates and falls in line with respect of the captain. If they are all over the place, then the team will be all over the place. If they have some guidelines, the team will follow.
This makes a lot of sense..

So many fun thoughts and questions.. lol

I hope the next captain gets rid of the Roman numerals.

Cool news for sure. Always enjoyed everyone being new for the most part but experience should help for sure. Excited to see this years team form.

Crazy change, but makes total sense. The entire experience is so overwhelming as a player, can only imagine what it is like going for the first time and trying to captain a squad. Very cool just like everything involved with the G.

well i can't speak for everyone, but for me it was crazy enough that i forgot how to count. i'm a cpa. #where's @j_sizzle9

alright, former participants...

Be honest right now, did you just watch this and think "oh ****, I could have done more, this was my chance!!!"

...don't you dare lie to me :LOL:
Yup! I almost always feel like I could have done more no matter the task and no matter how much I've done.

With that AssCap being gone, hopefully a returning player realizes they aren't going it alone.
We are all here to help. Whomever it is, whatever it is, please just ask.
I was thinking the exact same thing, Brad, as I was reading one of Muchy's posts.

The captain always has a hefty challenge and blessing to manage, but the captain is never alone if help / advice / sounding boards / etc are needed. We are here and ready to assist!

#LLTG
#ForeverGrateful

Exciting news…certainly will help to have someone with experience to help drive the team’s success and experience.

I'm laughing right now as I think back on some of the stuff.... :LOL:

Genuinely curious to the past Grandaddy members:

If going again, would you change how you prepped, what you concentrated on, and what you think/thought was important?
Yes, I would change some things.

The big thing for me would be related to mental prep: I never considered myself as someone who could have anxiety, but I experienced some new-to-me type of overwhelm during the Grandaddy in 2018. Looking back, I now call it anxiety to have a label for it, and it impacted my energy, my appetite, and my health. I hope I hid it well since I didn't want to impact anyone else's experience. Anyway, I would work on that big time, so I could be more relaxed and more myself. It meant (and means) the world to me, but I would have to find a way to be more present in the moment and not worried about what's next, am I doing enough, etc.

The other part of mental prep I'd focus on is attitude. Positivity, optimism, encouragement, resilience -- not just in words but in actions and non-verbals (tone, facial expressions, etc).

There may be other things, but these are biggies that always come up for me.

Yes, I would change some things.

The big thing for me would be related to mental prep: I never considered myself as someone who could have anxiety, but I experienced some new-to-me type of overwhelm during the Grandaddy in 2018. Looking back, I now call it anxiety to have a label for it, and it impacted my energy, my appetite, and my health. I hope I hid it well since I didn't want to impact anyone else's experience. Anyway, I would work on that big time, so I could be more relaxed and more myself. It meant (and means) the world to me, but I would have to find a way to be more present in the moment and not worried about what's next, am I doing enough, etc.

The other part of mental prep I'd focus on is attitude. Positivity, optimism, encouragement, resilience -- not just in words but in actions and non-verbals (tone, facial expressions, etc).

There may be other things, but these are biggies that always come up for me.
I'm sorry to hear this, as someone who suffers from anxiety on the daily I know how much it can have an impact on everything. I hope you're able to manage it or even conquer it.

Back