NEWS 2024 Grandaddy Announcement

What Do You Mean Schitts Creek GIF by CBC
8 more months till the GRANDADDY!!

This makes sense and is a great development.

I agree with this, especially when it comes to the controllable. You cannot control how anyone on your team plays so not getting too upset over someone not playing well falls into that "more than golf" bucket for me. But your right. The most upset people I have seen there have been the ones who did not meet their own performance expectations on the course
Yeah it's also not like that's what my main focus would be as a team or as a Captain. But getting another crack at the course itself, I'm absolutely wanting to play better than I did last time. That would be a personal thing. I don't think that takes away from preparing a team properly for what the event itself is about.

Yeah it's also not like that's what my main focus would be as a team or as a Captain. But getting another crack at the course itself, I'm absolutely wanting to play better than I did last time. That would be a personal thing. I don't think that takes away from preparing a team properly for what the event itself is about.
I dont hate how I personally played. We let .5 slip away against @DNevsCG and Harry that bothers me haha but I went 2-2 for the week and winning my singles match is something I still think about. Working towards a winning record and waking up on day 2 with the lead going into singles would be incredible haha

This is terrific news for one past participant! Sorry to see the role of AssCap go away but can understand the reasoning. Go THP!

One former Captain's opinion ... those are the wrong types of things to think about. Playing great is something we all want to do but the event is about a lot more than just that. I respect that others may feel differently...just putting it out there though.
Fair, but I want to ******* win. THP needs another W.

That is what I thought the question was about. Asking how we would prep.. Maybe I missed it. As far as the rest of the event goes.. I think it is about getting everyone to buy in and be willing to be tired and still involved and try to be the last one to bed.. I think that is where it is really won.. Be involved and go of someone says " hey lets..."..

At the grandaddy, you want to be the ultimate yes man..
I've only experienced it following along on the forum, but I love this advice. You dont want to miss out on those late night hangouts and the extra time to bond with teammates and callaway folks. Callaway wants to make this an incredible experience for THP so there is only good that is to come from saying yes. Those kinds of opportunities dont come often and the GD is a once in a lifetime experience (generally speaking - now there will be a veteran captain). Its only a few days to push through and you can always go to sleep when its over.

I don't know. He's been. He knows. All alumni tell people that it's about way more than the golf. But I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to be comfortable in the format of the golf. EVERYONE has more fun when they are playing at least decently compared to playing like crap regardless of what the event is about.

If I get to go back and play as a player or a captain, I'd want to be better prepared for the golf too. We "know" what to expect and what the event is about. Wanting to go back and play good golf isn't that crazy to me

And this is coming from me who stressed ALLLLLLLLLLL year to the team any time they listened that it's not about the golf. But getting to go back and have a chance to play again is definitely something that I'd be preparing for
I meant to quote the question from a non-past participant, not the answer from a veteran. My mistake.
I am not saying don't prepare (I prepared, took lessons, etc).

Okay, back to regular programming. I'm excited to see who gets the call ... what an incredible opportunity!

I dont hate how I personally played. We let .5 slip away against @DNevsCG and Harry that bothers me haha but I went 2-2 for the week and winning my singles match is something I still think about. Working towards a winning record and waking up on day 2 with the lead going into singles would be incredible haha
We were tied on day 1 with me and my partner going 0-2. And my singles could have gone my way if I could have just hit a ball even 50% better. I still think about it all the time. Especially after I got to go back and watch another team go at it. I just want a better prepared game, regardless of the results. I think any Captain (because they will be returning) will at least have those thoughts personally

I don't know. He's been. He knows. All alumni tell people that it's about way more than the golf. But I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to be comfortable in the format of the golf. EVERYONE has more fun when they are playing at least decently compared to playing like crap regardless of what the event is about.

If I get to go back and play as a player or a captain, I'd want to be better prepared for the golf too. We "know" what to expect and what the event is about. Wanting to go back and play good golf isn't that crazy to me

And this is coming from me who stressed ALLLLLLLLLLL year to the team any time they listened that it's not about the golf. But getting to go back and have a chance to play again is definitely something that I'd be preparing for
I feel like I played decent golf during my experience, and I went into with really no expectations. That seemed to work for me, but might not for others. Playing decent golf is certainly a bonus...nobody wants to experience those courses and fittings with a bad swing right?

Honestly, I don't anticipate ever going back, but my approach would probably change based on what I learned all those years ago.

I feel like I played decent golf during my experience, and I went into with really no expectations. That seemed to work for me, but might not for others. Playing decent golf is certainly a bonus...nobody wants to experience those courses and fittings with a bad swing right?

Honestly, I don't anticipate ever going back, but my approach would probably change based on what I learned all those years ago.
100% agree

I think having a past experience playing and captaining will be a massive support for the rookies that get selected.

Reading posts about what to do to prepare will be one of the ways the captain can support, by having been there and knowing what to expect. Massive help for the team.

You are a very smart man Mr. @ddec

I'd change a lot about my approach to it after watching the last few iterations.

You are a very smart man Mr. @ddec

I'd change a lot about my approach to it after watching the last few iterations.
In all honesty, my goal was to go out there, rep THP, have a blast, enjoy the conversations, learn, and bring home an Emmy.

In all honesty, my goal was to go out there, rep THP, have a blast, enjoy the conversations, learn, and bring home an Emmy.
We never got that Emmy.
Its owed to us.

What a cool thing. The Captain is going to have their work cut out for them but having past experience should help them in spades.

With the AssCap going away, does that open up 1 more spot overall?

Genuinely curious to the past Grandaddy members:

If going again, would you change how you prepped, what you concentrated on, and what you think/thought was important?
Somewhat. I certainly wouldn't be as focused on picture taking. Been there done that. lol

The golf game prep would be the same. The mental side would certainly be different cause I know what to expect now. The experience would be way different and I would have some opinions on how to fully immerse yourself while there. I'd probably take a much more focused and thoughtful approach to post GD discussion. Thought I did "ok". Always room for plenty of improvement and learning from others who did it better.

It would certainly be different for a billion reasons. Lol

Incredible opportunity. Change can be fun!

With the AssCap going away, does that open up 1 more spot overall?
AssCap was the 13th (well 15th last year). I'd assume it either stays at 12 or maybe even gets smaller

AssCap was the 13th (well 15th last year). I'd assume it either stays at 12 or maybe even gets smaller
Exactly what I was thinking.

Exactly what I was thinking.
If it stays 12, I hope Captain's patience is high. If I didn't have @Mmaynard11 last year and he didn't have me...if we were alone, we would have gone CRAZY. AssCap was an important role. It will be fun to see the Captain navigate it since they are a combined job now. Here for whoever it is though!

If it stays 12, I hope Captain's patience is high. If I didn't have @Mmaynard11 last year and he didn't have me...if we were alone, we would have gone CRAZY. AssCap was an important role. It will be fun to see the Captain navigate it since they are a combined job now. Here for whoever it is though!
Think the incoming Captain will have to use some of the former captains as a safety net. Bounce ideas off @Mmaynard11 or yourself.

Well there were captains before AssCap became a thing so it can and has been done before haha. Captain is not an easy job no matter how you slice it....contrary to what some might think haha

Back