Which Ball Would You Play?

I like #2 for the extra spin.

Ball speeed deviation is lower. But higher launch. Is much more consistent. And carry is longer.

So that’s the blue one. We don’t get to see landing angle. So I’ll take consistency in carry with higher launch that just spin every time.

Clearly I'm like a battered spouse when it comes to low spin LOL....i'm like 5000rpm with 7 iron and it's my #1 pet peeve.....so i just see that and get all bothered.

I mean obviously i can get it around just fine

But i see 5000rpm with 7 iron and i'm like "Nooooooooooooooooooooo" ....don't be like me

Clearly I'm like a battered spouse when it comes to low spin LOL....i'm like 5000rpm with 7 iron and it's my #1 pet peeve.....so i just see that and get all bothered.

I mean obviously i can get it around just fine

But i see 5000rpm with 7 iron and i'm like "Nooooooooooooooooooooo" ....don't be like me
I have no spin either. But I’m learning to generate it. I’m trying to not put myself into the choice.

Ball #1.
Higher apex so steeper descent and less roll out. That's a more predictable shot on approaches.

*Edit: I did bad math. The second ball stops quicker. I'd go with #2 just for that.

I realize that it is counter to the discussion of the thread, but I am curious in this scenario what @JB would choose of the 2 and why?

Myself, I would probably go with ball 1 for the consistency on Carry, but also see where others want the increased spin.

Would I go for ball two, with increased carry, increased speed, and ignore any issues over ball one though? In a heartbeat. If it holds the green I will take that all day.

Completely calculated by device. Roll out is virtually meaningless
But based on that low spin on first club , it’s rolling out too much. Unless it’s being launched very high

Taking the blue one. It would be nice to know decent angle however. Also what playing conditions you normally play has to come into play.

I don’t believe that higher spin means better ball.

Taking the blue one. It would be nice to know decent angle however. Also what playing conditions you normally play has to come into play.
I asked. Land angle is not being divulged.

I'd say ball 1 offhand just due to the consistency but both of those seem playable. Don't think I could get that consistent with any ball. Let alone hitting a 7I 170 yards.

I tend to have very high spin numbers in my irons, so 1 looks good to me

Second one probably

I'm going ball 2 for the spin. Sure the argument can be made for ball 1 being more forgiving on misses thus the tight standard deviations. But I've played ball 1. That's the ball that spins at 4k out of the rough or with some moisture and flies 180. No thanks.

I can’t stop thinking about this thread.

I think I’m at the point of trying to separate 7i=7k spin from loft jacking.

So I’m left trying to look at other details to make the determination. But the knowledge of when spin really does rule is my ignorance.

I’d probably go with #1 as spin would jump for both on real grass but I like the dispersion of #1. The delta for roll out is pretty close as well. Would be interesting to see peak height and descent angle to aid in the decision.

I realize that it is counter to the discussion of the thread, but I am curious in this scenario what @JB would choose of the 2 and why?

Myself, I would probably go with ball 1 for the consistency on Carry, but also see where others want the increased spin.

Would I go for ball two, with increased carry, increased speed, and ignore any issues over ball one though? In a heartbeat. If it holds the green I will take that all day.
Ball 1 and it’s not really close.
Easy to hold the green with that launch.
But based on that low spin on first club , it’s rolling out too much. Unless it’s being launched very high
the launch angle is listed and it’s good.

1 deg of launch angle seems more impactful than 0.5 mph of ball speed, plus I get a tighter down range dispersion, plus I get longer carry, plus I get an overall tighter grouping of numbers. I think I take all those over 900 rpm of spin on average upon revisiting this thread this morning.

I’m going ball #1. I like the launch data better there, consistency is better and the distance is longer. The question on spin would just need confirmation on the course for performance honestly.

Ball 1 more than likely.

I'm going to go with spin and ball speed. I like both of those things. Give me number 2.

Bask 2 spin in this case mid iron distance.

Based on the screen shot, I'll take ball 1.

Numero uno.

Two different golf balls.
Both hit with a 7 iron.
What are you playing?

View attachment 9260375
The one piece of data that is missing that I would really want to see is angle of descent. Without knowing that, I would take the bottom one for the extra spin. If the angle of descent is steep enough to stop the ball, I may go with the top one.

Back