Old Man shakes fist at sky; handicap posting as a single

darthweasel

Reaction score
Handicap
Okay, this one risks going down a dark rabbit hole but...

Part of the nature of how I golf leads to an unfortunate number of solo rounds. I enjoy them...whenever I remember my earbuds I throw them in, thrown on some music I like and off I go. Whenever possible I try to match up with others but I tend to play at times with limited people on the course...

Lately for...reasons...I have been playing excessively long for someone of my skill level, about 6800 yards. I just realized this last night. With that said I have enjoyed it and my scoring has not been really out of line with what I normally would. Maybe a length-related shot here and there...there are multiple par 4s in the mid-400 yard range and that is always likely a 5-spot for me...but then again I can easily bogey a 326 yarder as well... but nothing egregious.

Here is the thing...because it is against the rules, I do not post the rounds where I play solo. I play them the same way I would if there were people around. I record the score with the same integrity. But I don't post it.

I "get" why solo rounds are not postable. With that said, I am generally pretty attuned to what others are scoring. One of the responsibilities in tournament play is checking the competitors' scores. An easy way to get it right is to be in the habit of tracking scores as you go.

Now, not all of my rounds are solo. Probably about 10 of my last 17 rounds have been played partially or wholly with randoms (more accurately, I am the random in the group).

I can confidently assert that in my experience there are a large number of people who, in non-tournament rounds, report scores that are...uh...not played in 100% accordance with the rules. Rolling the ball to a better lie, cleaning the ball without marking, the occasional mulligan...these are often from people who in the course of conversation mention their handicap.

The upshot is, in my experience the ones who are going to manipulate their handicap...either direction...are going to do it whether solo or in a group. Honest people are going to be honest, dishonest people are going to cut corners or, as Jesse Ventura was claimed to have said, win if you can, lose if you must, but always, always cheat.

The idea someone is going to play it straight in a group but not alone..it just doesn't match up to reality in my experience.

And here is the funny part: in a sense it benefits me. I legitimately play and post every legally play/postable round. My official Ghin sits at 11.3. But the app I use also tracks every round.

Unofficially my handicap is 9. It includes the rounds I am not allowed to post and, for example, I have recently played a few consecutive solo rounds...and according to this, my cap has dropped but by rule it cannot. I can't post those rounds.

So by reporting scores with integrity, I have an accurate handicap by rule but an inaccurate handicap by reality.

So basically just ranting about not being able to post all legitimate rounds and, although my handicap is accurate, it isn't.

It's so dumb. How is the round I played on Monday by myself any different than the round I played yesterday with a random 12 year old that wasn't paying any attention at all to what I was scoring?

I agree completely

I think it's silly you can't post solo rounds. And in a casual round no playing partner you're randomly paired with is gonna care whether you play by the rules or not. It's dumb

Just one of the many reason I haven’t given the USGA my money this year. Yet. It’ll happen eventually.

It's so dumb. How is the round I played on Monday by myself any different than the round I played yesterday with a random 12 year old that wasn't paying any attention at all to what I was scoring?
This. I don't play solo often... but I do often play with randoms who don't give two craps what I say my score is.

Ya I don't pay the USGA any money, and this is one of the reasons.

At the end of the day, I track my rounds, and keep my own handicap - don't plan on trying to qualify for anything that would require an official USGA handicap, so mine will work for what I need it to

Ya I don't pay the USGA any money, and this is one of the reasons.

At the end of the day, I track my rounds, and keep my own handicap - don't plan on trying to qualify for anything that would require an official USGA handicap, so mine will work for what I need it to
Only reason I get one is I thought they were required for THP events.

Agree 100%. Its supposedly a game of Integrity but we're not trusted to post when playing as a solo. You are so spot on....When I play as a single, I'll usually get paired with 1-3 others who don't know me and could care less if I roll the ball, play mulligans or create my own "local rules".... but because I'm not alone i can post the score. It makes zero sense.

I don’t care what they say, I record scores even if I play by myself.

The upshot is, in my experience the ones who are going to manipulate their handicap...either direction...are going to do it whether solo or in a group.
BINGO

That rule is insanely stupid and I say post them if you want. I post all my solos and don’t give a damn if I’m not supposed to

Okay, this one risks going down a dark rabbit hole but...

Part of the nature of how I golf leads to an unfortunate number of solo rounds. I enjoy them...whenever I remember my earbuds I throw them in, thrown on some music I like and off I go. Whenever possible I try to match up with others but I tend to play at times with limited people on the course...

Lately for...reasons...I have been playing excessively long for someone of my skill level, about 6800 yards. I just realized this last night. With that said I have enjoyed it and my scoring has not been really out of line with what I normally would. Maybe a length-related shot here and there...there are multiple par 4s in the mid-400 yard range and that is always likely a 5-spot for me...but then again I can easily bogey a 326 yarder as well... but nothing egregious.

Here is the thing...because it is against the rules, I do not post the rounds where I play solo. I play them the same way I would if there were people around. I record the score with the same integrity. But I don't post it.

I "get" why solo rounds are not postable. With that said, I am generally pretty attuned to what others are scoring. One of the responsibilities in tournament play is checking the competitors' scores. An easy way to get it right is to be in the habit of tracking scores as you go.

Now, not all of my rounds are solo. Probably about 10 of my last 17 rounds have been played partially or wholly with randoms (more accurately, I am the random in the group).

I can confidently assert that in my experience there are a large number of people who, in non-tournament rounds, report scores that are...uh...not played in 100% accordance with the rules. Rolling the ball to a better lie, cleaning the ball without marking, the occasional mulligan...these are often from people who in the course of conversation mention their handicap.

The upshot is, in my experience the ones who are going to manipulate their handicap...either direction...are going to do it whether solo or in a group. Honest people are going to be honest, dishonest people are going to cut corners or, as Jesse Ventura was claimed to have said, win if you can, lose if you must, but always, always cheat.

The idea someone is going to play it straight in a group but not alone..it just doesn't match up to reality in my experience.

And here is the funny part: in a sense it benefits me. I legitimately play and post every legally play/postable round. My official Ghin sits at 11.3. But the app I use also tracks every round.

Unofficially my handicap is 9. It includes the rounds I am not allowed to post and, for example, I have recently played a few consecutive solo rounds...and according to this, my cap has dropped but by rule it cannot. I can't post those rounds.

So by reporting scores with integrity, I have an accurate handicap by rule but an inaccurate handicap by reality.

So basically just ranting about not being able to post all legitimate rounds and, although my handicap is accurate, it isn't.
You nailed it...people will do what they want no matter who's with them

One of the dumb rules, and I wish they'd change it

lol if I didn’t post my solo rounds, I’d post like 12-13 rounds a year.

What looks more sketchy, someone going from 40+ to 12? Or someone who posts their rounds but 80% are single?

I need to post a bunch of scores on GHIN before league starts in 2 weeks, but I can hardly get out there due to rain and if I do get out there I am usually solo.

I agree this is a dumb rule.

When I'm paired up with 3 randoms, there is absolutely nobody keeping track of my score and certainly not attesting to it. Heck, when I play with friends nobody is checking what I post.

Post it.

Last edited:
Someone may have beat me to this, but I don't think they are "required" but I bet that's a reason a lot of people use it here I bet. It's either that or a men's league for most I bet.

I wrote my own simple app to track handicap. I don’t have an official USGA one, issues with them is another story.

I only use it for informational purposes as I don’t play in anything requiring a handicap. Maybe someday

I post my solo rounds for some of the reasons already articulated. For example, if I play in a group, no one has a clue how I'm doing and couldn't care less. More importantly, if I want to keep an accurate HI I have to post all of my scores, not just those when I am paired with others. And yeah, as @darthweasel said, if someone is going to pad their HI, it doesn't matter if they are playing solo, or in a group. It's not like others in the group are keeping track of that person's score.

I used to be a member of the USGA, but not since they instituted the groove rule. This "no solo round posting" rule is beyond stupid.

Randoms give mulligans, gimmies, "just move that a bit." I feel like my solo rounds end up being more honest than a lot of rounds people post in groups. It's just a number and only you know how honestly it was obtained, so who cares if you post a solo round?

I post them anyway. It is one of the stupidest things ever.

Eff the USGA.

The new 9 hole rounds makes me not want to renew and spend money. I want my handicap as low as possible and I'm struggling seeing it go up a bit with some random score that I didn't shoot for a second 9.

I use a handicap calculator app to track my handicap. I only have 13 rounds posted to it since I have played a few rounds where I played two balls on on hole, or played several shots from the same spot, etc.

I think the biggest thing for THP events is if you don’t have an official cap is to be honest about the current state of your game and ability. Nobody likes seeing a competitive event where, say, a “19 cap” is striping 3 irons 230 yards.

I wrote my own simple app to track handicap. I don’t have an official USGA one, issues with them is another story.

I only use it for informational purposes as I don’t play in anything requiring a handicap. Maybe someday
That's super cool that you wrote your own app, I love it! I might be wrong, but I thought that 18Birdies gave you a handicap based on rounds entered as well, just food for thought.

Post them. The prohbition against doing so, for all the reasons stated in this thread, is silly. But, it's the USGA. I have my handicap through the Mississippi Golf Association which participates in GHIN. I know some of the money from my MGA dues finds its way to the USGA and that burns my ass but my dues also support MGA's junior golf programs and golf in Mississippi. It's a worthy trade-off.

Back