Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
I laughed out loud when I saw it. And for the record I did buy the BOGO oreos, it’s like they were practically giving them away haha.

Pandemic or not, no one is passing on half price Oreos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saw a news report saying CA's governor is estimating 25 million cases...

First confirmed case in the closest city to me yesterday. These people are so ignorant. This guy literally has all the symptoms so he goes to the doctor where they do a test. You know dang good and well the doc told him to go home and wait for the results of the test. Nope. Mr. Genius figures its a good time to go to work. They find out about the symptoms and send him home. Mr. Genius calls them a couple hours later to announce his doc just called to tell him the preliminary test he took came back positive. That company is now completely shut down.

I mean how freaking ignorant do you have to be. You knew you had the symptoms. There is no way you were not told to go home and isolate yourself at least until the test comes back. Yet you go to work anyway. If I worked there, regardless of whether myself or anyone else got it, I would throw this moron a blanket party in the stock room off camera as soon as he got back to work for just being so stupid.

Last edited:
Is there any point in testing low risk or asymptomatic people at this time? If the plan was to control the spread, then sure. But by the time it all got up and running, people who didn’t know they had it have been spreading it around. With most areas in some form of lockdown, I just don’t see the point other than to collect data.

Also, after hearing that the deaths in Italy (pop. ~60M) have surpassed China (pop. 1.4B) today, I have no doubt that China severely underreported the infected and related deaths.

First confirmed case in the closest city to me yesterday. These people are so ignorant. This guy literally has all the symptoms so he goes to the doctor where they do a test. You know dang good and well the doc told him to go home and wait for the results of the test. Nope. Mr. Genius figures its a good time to go to work. They find out about the symptoms and send him home. Mr. Genius calls them a couple hours later to announce his doc just called to tell him the preliminary test he took came back positive. That company is now completely shut down.

I mean how freaking ignorant do you have to be. You knew you had the symptoms. There is no way you were not told to go home and isolate yourself at least until the test comes back. Yet you go to work anyway. If I worked there, regardless of whether myself or anyone else got it, I would throw this moron a blanket party in the stock room off camera as soon as he got back to work for just being so stupid.
What an Inconsiderate idiot.

I just read the letter from our School District superintendent. They will be offering bagged meals to students for pickup and starting Tuesday they will be using buses to deliver both learning materials and bagged meals to families in need. Bravo, what an obvious but creative example of how to flip this around.

How busy are the subways, taxis, Uber, etc? I'm guessing the crowds on the subways are dramatically down.

I am lucky to get out of the city. I was in NYC picking up stuff for my family today. The city is very quiet. People are taking the stay home policy very serious. I live in 36 story hi-rise and rode the elevator up and down with nobody.

College is closing two campuses, and bringing all affected employees to the main campus where I work.
That will mean double the cleaning staff, but for me a 3rd Stores Clerk.
With being the lowest on the seniority, it has me worried a layoff is coming tomorrow in our "1:30 pm Stores Transition" meeting.

For 2 weeks HR has been urging us to take Voluntary Time Off, or burn up vacation time. Yeah. Still not happening.

09BE2189-29EC-4517-A441-5771CC15E361.jpeg
With no sports, bless Bovada for still giving action to the degenerates...

Our governor in Pa just said all non-life sustaining businesses must close. And anyone tha does not will be fined, lose their business license or even be arrested. Not good news for us Pa small business owners.

I am trying to adequately respond this comment between eyeroll/data-from-***hole logic and I simply cannot construct something profound enough to reference my true feelings.

I have never seen more people out on the trails at the city park next to my house. Most were concentrated near the parking lot/paved path. While on one hand I'm so happy people finally discovered this wonderful city resource....learn to distance yourself fools! Once out on the trails that take real effort to get too, much better practicing of social distancing.

Here at my work, I had a 100ct box of N95 mask for fiberglass work that I took to the local EMT's this morning. Figured every bit helps.

We are heading to our lake home in Northern Minnesota tomorrow morning where I have about 150 N95 masks that are left over from my 3M sales career and I’m doing the same. The local EMT’s or hospital needs them way more than I do.

CA is going full shelter in place...

I am trying to adequately respond this comment between eyeroll/data-from-***hole logic and I simply cannot construct something profound enough to reference my true feelings.

Does seem a bit irresponsible. It's one thing coming from some fringe element, but the governor of a state?

Does seem a bit irresponsible. It's one thing coming from some fringe element, but the governor of a state?

California Governor Newsom is trying to save lives and deserves respect for doing so.

State wide Safer At Home mandate for CA. Ish is about to crazy here.

If the statistic is true, he is saying that roughly 63% of the population of CA. That is crazy, and I don’t see how it is possible. Italy has about ~41k (per the JH Map) with a population of ~60M. And Italy is considered to be the worst at this point.

He said it COULD reach 25 million if we don't shelter in place. California has over 40 million residents. There were already at least 10 counties with shelter in place directives. I live in California and welcome the new directive. I don't want this virus, do you?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

He said it COULD reach 25 million if we don't shelter in place. California has over 40 million residents. There were already at least 10 counties with shelter in place directives. I live in California and welcome the new directive. I don't want this virus, do you?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I do, if I could be sure not to infect anyone else. I could build up some immunity and basically be done with it and not have to worry as much if/when it comes back around. It would be impossible not to infect anyone else if I wasn’t showing symptoms so I’m doing the responsible thing.

I do, if I could be sure not to infect anyone else. I could build up some immunity and basically be done with it and not have to worry as much if/when it comes back around. It would be impossible not to infect anyone else if I wasn’t showing symptoms so I’m doing the responsible thing.
One of the alarming parts of the virus from recent reports is the long term impacts to lung function, even for healthy people. That concerns me.

Our handling of this situation has been among the worst in the world and we have a very unhealthy population with the highest obesity rate among major countries. The data has us on a path much closer to Italy than South Korea. I don't mean to be alarmist or spread panic but it's important that people understand the severity of this and how poor our response has been thus far so that we can implement the best strategy and behaviors moving forward. I hope more than anything that I'm wrong and that our healthcare system is not overwhelmed and we can quickly begin to rebound but looking at the data and science the health impact of this will be severe and last for at least 18 months until we have a vaccine available to the public. The economic effects will last far longer.

I just can’t get there with whole Italy angle ...

0B75A50C-FA2C-4A8F-BA8F-30F90371F299.jpeg
The math just doesn’t support it, even when you take into the fact that Italy is 7-10 days ahead of the US in the curve.

Yes in the number of total cases the Italy v. US charts appear on the same trajectory, however the death rate is very different when comparing day by day. With the US continuing to drop as more people are tested and cases confirmed.

Of the 177 reported deaths in the US, 74 are in Washington State (41.8%), if you agree that Washington State is an outlier, then the death rate here is in line with South Korea so far.

That would suck, no question about it. I’m just talking about building an immunity. If the loss of some lung function came with it I’m not sure I’d be down with that. I haven’t read enough to know if that’s guaranteed to be part of it but it’s definitely a concern.

One of the alarming parts of the virus from recent reports is the long term impacts to lung function, even for healthy people. That concerns me.
This is being lost way too much by people hung up on mortality rates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back