Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to a little executive course by my house yesterday. They were not taking walk up players and they were not doing back to back tee times. Another course near me refuses to pair random players to build foursomes. No rakes, no removing pins, etc. Portland is rumored to go SIP shortly which means all the area muni’s will close.

I disagree with that to the effect that the death rate is not the story. If that’s the case we are up to 157 deaths. First death was on the 14. Just my thought though.

I should say death toll not the story at least as of now.

I disagree with that to the effect that the death rate is not the story. If that’s the case we are up to 157 deaths. First death was on the 14. Just my thought though.
No offense intended. My thinking is that as long as we don’t overwhelm healthcare capacity death rates should remain relatively constant. Therefore if we see more deaths, it probably indicates more people had Covid 19 and vice versa. I see it as a loose proxy for assessing case count in the face of very irregular testing.

I hope you get your results soon and they come back favorably.

Are you making this calculation based upon the last time we dealt with Covid-19?

We're in the beginning stages of something that's never happened to any of us.

I don't know how you can make such a statement with confidence.

Its based on every data point that exists in times of financial collapse.
Its not something I want to be the case, but the research is out there on depression like statistics (not just recession) for those that want to dive in. Its scary stuff.

And I am not sure we can say its never happened to any of us. Certainly different, but mass health and wellness issues have occurred and while i am not speaking to them being the same, parallels exist to at least follow data points.

I hate that it has impacted both sides. Economic ruin combined with health concerns is the scariest thing a world can go through.

I am driving to TN this coming Saturday...I hope. My mother is turning 90 next Monday and I want to check on her as well. Yes, she still walks 3 to 4 miles a day, drives, and does yard work, but still...

are you talking just for your state? The Death toll for the US is 471. There were 131(confirmed, possibly more) in just the past 24 hours in the US. Those numbers are still small at the moment, and I am constantly trying to find the appropriate perspective on all of this. But the death toll numbers seem to be exponentially increasing by the day.

I am fully expecting Virginia to do the shelter in place order today. Governor is speaking today at 2PM and they are saying he will discuss that and the plans for schools this year going forward.

are you talking just for your state? The Death toll for the US is 471. There were 131(confirmed, possibly more) in just the past 24 hours in the US. Those numbers are still small at the moment, and I am constantly trying to find the appropriate perspective on all of this. But the death toll numbers seem to be exponentially increasing by the day.

Yes just NY.

Daily deaths in the US were relatively flat for 4 days until yesterday when we had a big spike - more than double the preceding day. The next few days will be pretty telling.

304FE9BC-4684-4017-B3BB-5339413F9244.png

Its based on every data point that exists in times of financial collapse.
Its not something I want to be the case, but the research is out there on recession and depression statistics for those that want to dive in. Its scary stuff.

And I am not sure we can say its never happened to any of us. Certainly different, but mass health and wellness issues have occurred and while i am not speaking to them being the same, parallels exist to at least follow data points.

Saw a quote from Neal DeGrasse Tyson about exponential growth doubling. If it takes a lake 4 months to become half covered in algae, do you now how long it will take for it to be completely covered? One day.

We don't know precisely many factors of this contagion and we won't know for a while yet. The more our efforts work now, the less they'll seem to have been necessary later. I'm calling it way too early to start tossing out reasons why we should question using the ONLY tool we have right now. Distance.

Ohio is stay at home as of midnight tonight. We got back from Florida last night, went and got groceries this morning and the traffic was pretty light. Apparently I'm essential because you can't not send out bills...who knew? My wife and I both work for local government but she has been told she will be off for 14 days isolation but I'm to report for work next Monday after my vacation ends.

I missed the govs today but I’m sure I can catch it in YouTube. Did Albany County say they have my test results to prevent me from going crazy?

I know a way you can get your test results quickly, but you're not going to like it.

Harvey Weinstein has tested positive. Of course, he's in a lockup in Western NY.

Sounds like Indiana just going the list of states shutting down. Sadly I just got a few orders that I really want to get out before we shut down.

Saw a quote from Neal DeGrasse Tyson about exponential growth doubling. If it takes a lake 4 months to become half covered in algae, do you now how long it will take for it to be completely covered? One day.

We don't know precisely many factors of this contagion and we won't know for a while yet. The more our efforts work now, the less they'll seem to have been necessary later. I'm calling it way too early to start tossing out reasons why we should question using the ONLY tool we have right now. Distance.

I think you are confusing me with another poster haha.
I have been for social distance and staying home since the very beginning. In fact so much for it, I have ranted numerous times to people in this very thread saying STOP GOING OUT!

What I said earlier is that I do not believe any one facet of a crisis should be put on a pedestal. Especially one as vast as this. But that I believe a global financial recession, with numbers being floated at 30-40% unemployment, would actually harm and kill more than the virus would. If we are going to use speculation data on virus growth, it should be used for all facets is the point I was making.

I think you are confusing me with another poster haha.
I have been for social distance and staying home since the very beginning. In fact so much for it, I have ranted numerous times to people in this very thread saying STOP GOING OUT!

What I said earlier is that I do not believe any one facet of a crisis should be put on a pedestal. Especially one as vast as this. But that I believe a global financial recession, with numbers being floated at 30-40% unemployment, would actually harm and kill more than the virus would. If we are going to use speculation data on virus growth, it should be used for all facets is the point I was making.

What I'm taking from your post is 6 of one and half dozen of the other. I think it's too soon and too uncharted to make statements that equate this with the past. I do get your point but it scares me that such thinking may prevent giving the current course sufficient time.

What I'm taking from your post is 6 of one and half dozen of the other. I think it's too soon and too uncharted to make statements that equate this with the past. I do get your point but it scares me that such thinking may prevent giving the current course sufficient time.

Im for the current course, as long as the financial aspect is considered.
What I can't figure out is why it is considered proper to use speculative data on the virus, but not on the financial aspect when they are both coming from history and parallels. It seems like a no brainer to me to not ignore the ramifications of financial collapse as we are currently watching just the tipping point, knowing what we know now.

I won't keep making the same point.

Stay safe~

Of course the senate and the house are fighting like cats and dogs and doing nothing about the bill that could help businesses, etc. at the moment.

My employer extended mandatory work from home through May 1 and added 10 PTO days for self quarantine type Covid related events.

I know, I am totally shocked. All signs pointed to it happening. I went to the grocery store today with the belief it was coming.

I figure it’s a week away. Then again, I already isolate cause I’m always home. Gym closed, not really leaving all too much except for store runs. Everywhere I see people is the store haha.

Tenants is real sticky. My buddy has a tenant who is still working - refusing to pay rent.
Tenants are tough. I just made a call to all of ours, luckily it's a small number. Only one thus far seems worried. His employerer is paying out until the end of the month, but not promising to resign his contract. Told him we could work something out if this goes on long enough. I'd suspect provincial governments will step in regarding rental options.
This is what scares me. My wife owns a property management company & won't be able to evict the ones that have not paid for March's rent due to the courts being closed & they will use this as a basis for not not paying rent. All the rentals she handles are not owned by big companies, they like my MIL that has 3 or 4 rentals which give here extra income to live off of.

We canceled the Disney trip in May last week. Probably won’t go this year. Disney will always be there so we’d rather go when this is over.

looking like I’ll be working from home through May and it could possibly go through June. Work has provided a monitor for me and I anticipate working from home a lot this year has this will hit us in waves.

This is what scares me. My wife owns a property management company & won't be able to evict the ones that have not paid for March's rent due to the courts being closed & they will use this as a basis for not not paying rent. All the rentals she handles are not owned by big companies, they like my MIL that has 3 or 4 rentals which give here extra income to live off of.

It's definitely been the one part of work that's been stressing me out in all of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back