Cobra KING SPEEDZONE and SPEEDZONE XTREME Drivers

I really really wanted this one to be the “one” but man, the Mav and Mav Max are just edging it out in some important to my game areas. It sounds SO good and looks SO good though. 😭
How much of an edge?

i may give this driver a try, im creating a fun back up bag, dont want to spend a lot of money so this may be on the horizon.

Just like that this Thursday was turned into a good one! Better pics coming later but happy that my MC clubs have arrived. Standard head with Smoke Yellow.

245FEBA2-F34D-4DDD-8212-875C1601AEBB.jpeg

I made an adjument to my driver that really has changed how it hits for the better. I've been playing the 9 deg head turned down to 8 deg which opens up the head just a bit. I was hitting it great and with this setup ( 14g weights front and back ), consistent small power fade. I did find that I was getting the occasional cut out-to-in swing path miss that was causing hard balloon flights to the right. I started to focus on really trying to turn it right to left ( more in to out ) and I was able to control it better.

I decided to give adjusting it to draw setting at 8 deg and see how that played. I can say it solved all my issues with the right miss. Ball launches on line and with the same baby fade as the go to shot. When I need to now I can put a small draw on it without having to fundamentally change my swing. The lie adjustment just changed the address and position enough to pull everything back square. Played 18 and hit 10 of 13 fairways with it ( 14th fairway was a 5w ).

i really liked my epic flash. I was never fitted for it, but had pretty good success buying the head used from a THP’er and just using my shaft in XR16. But the Cobra Speedzone standard has been a little better. Knowing that the predominant miss is right is helping me hit more fairways.

Callaway Epic Flash
03D86813-2550-40AF-9CFD-F43758C29FA1.png
Cobra Speedzone
2EC092BF-8C24-4581-900E-23DDFF65B183.png

Speedzone Xtreme was a lot of fun to hit again on Saturday. I cant say enough about the forgiveness. The biggest takeaway ive noticed so far is how off center contact shots stay neutral. Ive hit some high toe and the ball stays on the right side instead of a huge 50 yard draw ending up left in the trees

Im not sure what the launch angle is without a monitor but the ball gets up very quickly and seems to go forever. I set it down to 8* for Saturdays round and I think ill leave it there from now on.... Also the Tour Length is very confidence inspiring. Ive always played drivers at 44.75 ( TL is 44.5) but I never adjusted head weight on other drivers once I cut them down. With the Tour Length Xtreme and the heavier weight I feel much more in control with the club head

Even in the wet spring fairways, my driver distance is farther than last year. I reset my arccos stats once I paired all the cobra clubs. The ball is plugging in fairways most of the time so it tells me carry distance is farther with the Xtreme than it was any driver I played last year

I will probably have to re dial in my swing once I'm able to swing this outdoors again. I'm not sure if I'll need to knock as much loft off and if I still want it in the draw setting. My indoor swing has a much more pronounced draw.

I'm really not surprised with the number of people putting this driver in the draw setting. I definitely found it more fade bias than I expected (especially in the SZX). I will say I'm in the 9* head and I know the the 10.5* and 12* are both more upright than the 9*.

For those saying that it is louder than expected, I agree that the driver has a louder sound than the F9. However, I found the f9 to probably be the most muted driver I've hit in awhile especially with the weight in the rear. I think the speedzone Xtreme is still on the muted side just not as much as last years. I dont here any tinny sound when hitting it.

I will probably have to re dial in my swing once I'm able to swing this outdoors again. I'm not sure if I'll need to knock as much loft off and if I still want it in the draw setting. My indoor swing has a much more pronounced draw.

I'm really not surprised with the number of people putting this driver in the draw setting. I definitely found it more fade bias than I expected (especially in the SZX). I will say I'm in the 9* head and I know the the 10.5* and 12* are both more upright than the 9*.

For those saying that it is louder than expected, I agree that the driver has a louder sound than the F9. However, I found the f9 to probably be the most muted driver I've hit in awhile especially with the weight in the rear. I think the speedzone Xtreme is still on the muted side just not as much as last years. I dont here any tinny sound when hitting it.
When I was demoing both, I found the standard SZ to be pretty fade biased also. Had a very hard time making it go left. The Xtreme for me has been very neutral

Playing TM drivers pretty much forever I find the Xtreme to be very loud compared to what im used to. I took out my SIM driver last Wednesday along with the Xtreme and the Xtreme was noticeably louder.....but performance wise I prefer the Xtreme so it doesnt bother me at all

After yesterday I now have 4 rounds in with the Tour Length Xtreme..... Im confident in saying this isn't a nice honeymoon period where it will be great for a short period of time. There's no doubt in my mind this has been and will be the best driver ive played.

This driver is so easy to hit with maximum forgiveness while also being extremely long. Jose mentioned to me that going with Tour Length and the heavier weight that it will give even higher launch and lower spin by design. The ball gets up in a hurry and goes forever. I cant wait to get things open again and get this on a launch monitor. With softer conditions in the spring right now, Arccos is showing me distances I dont see until summer time. I have a positive 3 - 4 angle of attack and benefit from high launch/low spin with drivers. Ive seen 13 drives in 4 rounds on Arccos go over 300yds

The driver is by far my favorite club from the Morgan Cup and its not even close

This driver is so easy to hit with maximum forgiveness while also being extremely long. Jose mentioned to me that going with Tour Length and the heavier weight that it will give even higher launch and lower spin by design. The ball gets up in a hurry and goes forever. I cant wait to get things open again and get this on a launch monitor. With softer conditions in the spring right now, Arccos is showing me distances I dont see until summer time. I have a positive 3 - 4 angle of attack and benefit from high launch/low spin with drivers. Ive seen 13 drives in 4 rounds on Arccos go over 300yds

The driver is by far my favorite club from the Morgan Cup and its not even close

What's your weight setup? I came out of the Distance Bash after Danny tweaked a bunch of stuff with the tour length and 2 14g weights and its been incredible with forgiveness on off center hits. Anecdotally, When I hit it extreme heel side or toe side, I only lose about 10-15 yards but it still goes mostly straight.

What's your weight setup? I came out of the Distance Bash after Danny tweaked a bunch of stuff with the tour length and 2 14g weights and its been incredible with forgiveness on off center hits. Anecdotally, When I hit it extreme heel side or toe side, I only lose about 10-15 yards but it still goes mostly straight.
Theres a fixed 17g tungsten in the back already and the changeable weight is 14g instead of 6. I also have about a 2in strip of lead tape on both sides of that weight

Theres a fixed 17g tungsten in the back already and the changeable weight is 14g instead of 6. I also have about a 2in strip of lead tape on both sides of that weight

Got it. So probably a little heavier than my dual 14g setup.

Just slightly by a few grams id say but sounds like both heads accomplish the same thing....awesome setup!

Just go by your total weight head.

Cobra has different versions of the head if it is a TL head or not. TL increases the fixed weight in the "tail pipe" over the regular length. Additionally, Cobra will hot melt heads as well depending on shaft and other build considerations.

Just go by your total weight head.

Cobra has different versions of the head if it is a TL head or not. TL increases the fixed weight in the "tail pipe" over the regular length. Additionally, Cobra will hot melt heads as well depending on shaft and other build considerations.

Yup, agreed. I knew the Extreme and Standard head weighed different even without the weighting. Just curious how others are setting up any adjustable weights in either head. My standard SZ head with 2 adjustable weight setup is 209g and shaft/grip is 136g.

Does anyone have the standard headweight?

I am playing standard head tour length and had switched to 18g back and 6g front. I recently switched out the 6g front weight for 14g so am no 14g/18g. I have only hit it a few times like this on the course, but really liked the flight/sound at the range.

I am playing standard head tour length and had switched to 18g back and 6g front. I recently switched out the 6g front weight for 14g so am no 14g/18g. I have only hit it a few times like this on the course, but really liked the flight/sound at the range.

I have heard quite a few players moving to heavier than stock more even weights in the standard head. I'v been debating playing around a bit with the weights. Have some 10g and 18g coming to see how it affects the SW/SS/Launch conditions. Seems to be getting good results overall versus the stock offset weights.

I have heard quite a few players moving to heavier than stock more even weights in the standard head. I'v been debating playing around a bit with the weights. Have some 10g and 18g coming to see how it affects the SW/SS/Launch conditions. Seems to be getting good results overall versus the stock offset weights.
The tour length standard head came with the 6g and 18g weights. When I tried 18 in front, I couldn't control the flight as well as I wanted. When I put the 18 in back, my spin was up a little too much on less than perfect swings. I think that this combination will work well for me and I have always played a little heavier swing weight in driver so it feels good to me. I will post back when I get more play time

Finally have five rounds in with the SpeedZone driver.

Pink Extreme Head 12.5* Standard setup. Tour Length UST Elements Helium 5F3 Reg

Ball: Bridgestone RXS

Weather: Less than ideal conditions for 4/5 rounds with rain, snow and pretty significant wind.

Biggest variant from previous setups is the Reg Helium shaft in the driver - wanted to try it as it is counterbalanced and it also typically plays stiffer than other shaft OEM offerings.

Early season swing is also less than ideal, one of the five rounds I feel like my swing felt great throughout the bag.

I'm also nursing a bit of a knee issue that I've been dealing with the past three rounds, which definitely has hindered me a bit.

Speedzone Driver First 5 rounds thru 5.10.20 Accuracy and Distance.GIF

Being that it has been on the colder side, with rain, I don't put much stock into the accuracy (figure on the left) it is down 25 points from where I was with the F9 with a different shaft. I wanted to get a good baseline (5 rounds with the stock setup I ordered). With weather improving (hopefully) I'm going to try adjusting the loft as well as swapping out the shafts a Helium 5F4 (Stiff and 45") and my beloved LA Golf OLYSS (Stiff and 45") to see if I can improve the accuracy and increase the distance.

Speedzone Driver First 5 rounds thru 5.10.20 Dispersion.GIF

Dispersion is less than ideal, as I mentioned above, I think there are a couple of things that I will adjust to see if I can optimize performance of the head.

Looks: Fantastic - Cobra continues to get it right, both with shape and the color schemes. The exhaust pipe is a such a great detail.

Sound: Not a really big difference for me this compared to the F9 - some of the earlier iterations (F6) had a polarizing sound, but this one I think is great and by that I mean I don't notice it.

Launch: Really swing dependent - definitely hit some good ones that maximize carry and distance and also have had some low stingers that get some good roll.

Biggest takeaway is that the driver doesn't feel/sound/act much differently to me than the previous version that I adored, looking forward to gaming this one for the balance of the year and adding more thoughts with the different combos and playing conditions.

Last edited:
Got to take my SZ Extreme for another spin today, 9 holes this evening. Working through a lot with my driver swing in particular but saw some really promising results. Other than one poor swing, everything was struck really solid. Still continue to enjoy how stable the LINQ Gunmetal feels. Hit a couple of bombs for me.

Playing 18 tomorrow, looking forward to continue to get back in some sort of groove after the long layoff.

I am going to be playing a quick 9 early in the morning and will have my Xtreme head in the bag. I had been letting a friend try it out and just got it back. I am excited to see how it feels, as well as the ball flight it gives me.

For some reason I thought the LTD adapters didnt fit the Speedzone. Was pleasantly surprised when I tried one today and it worked! Now I have a HZRDUS Black and the low spin Synergy Black to try in my SZ-X along with the Black Smoke. First round friday..

I am going to be playing a quick 9 early in the morning and will have my Xtreme head in the bag. I had been letting a friend try it out and just got it back. I am excited to see how it feels, as well as the ball flight it gives me.

I’m excited to hear about this head and shaft combo.

Back