Search results for query: *

1. Daddio

Slow play perspective ... 75 years ago

Just opened an old book our head pro lent me last week as he was prepping to leave for Augusta later that day: 'Thirty Years of Championship Golf' - Gene Sarazen. I'd purchased several copies of his recently released book on Horton Smith as gifts and he thought I'd be interested in reading...
  2. Daddio

OOB and border fences?

Follow up to the recent complete relief thread. It's often possible to get a club on a ball and bump it out from under the fencing bordering my home course (see below). Bottom rail is maybe a foot above the ground and wood is @5" thick for reference. I've seen people bump their balls out from...
  3. Daddio

Assigning penaltys on Par 3s?

Some are including their penalty stroke percentages in a current thread on FW% and it got me wondering. Do the big data tracking services assign P3 penalties as 'off the tee' or as 'approach shot' penalties? I've always catagorized mine as approach penaltyies which leads me to believe I'm...
  4. Daddio

Penalty Stroke expectations per Handicap?

I probably wasn't looking in the right places so came up empty when I searched. What do the massive shot tracking data systems say about Penalties related to HC? I know for each of us the ratio would corolate strongly to whatever course/tees we play on a given day but also wondered how some of...
  5. Daddio

Best to adjust iron loft stronger or weaker if a shallow swinger?

Getting older and over the past few years and had to convert a couple irons to hybrids. I'm now at the point I should probably add another, a 5 hybrid. I'm debating whether to strengthen my current 6 iron or weaken my 5 iron to gap correctly between a new 5 hybrid and my current 7 iron. I...
  6. Daddio

Legal, Illegal, or maybe just Sketchy?

@OldandStiff 's 'wet wedge spin' thread in the GCB&A forum section reminded me of something I've done from time to time and I'm wondering if I might've violated the RoG. When dew sweeping and in between clubs at a P3, is it illegal to tee up a wet ball and play it with a deliberately wet club...
  7. Daddio

Anyone have experience with Axglo E-Carts?

Getting older so using my regular push cart less and less but prefer to walk certain courses so am looking seriously into Electric trolleys now. On paper the Axglo E-3 and E-5 seem to offer a lot for the price but I'm not finding much in the way of comparative reviews. Anyone else looking into...
  8. Daddio

Does detailed Bunker Play criteria exist by HC or Strokes Gained, etc... like there is for Approach, Tee, etc...?

My sand game has been a little better than normal lately and I've been tracking my results the past 9 rounds but I don't know how to quantify them. Anyone know how (or if) the major data tracking systems or compiler/analysts like Stanger break out bunker play? Both fairway and greenside...
  9. Daddio

Hot approach game but not scoring? Unrealistic putting expectations for 10-15HC?

Given my HC, my approach game is typically better than expected but it's been on absolute fire recently. I'm enjoying an average of >2 extra GIR per round over my last 6 rounds but frankly I'm getting frustrated that it doesn't seem to matter on the scorecard. My first putt proximity on...
  10. Daddio

Scoring metrics and expectations. Targets to (hopefully) get it under 10 again.

I knew I was close coming into 2019. With a lot of help from my coach focused on short game specifically and being 1000% committed to never relinquishing a savable stroke to laziness on/around green I got my cap under 10 for most of the '19 season. That had been a lifelong goal but my...
  11. Daddio

Are your Penalty Strokes spread around or primarily due to one issue?

Do most of yours manifest from the same shot or are they spread out too? I'd never really dug into how/where/why I hit one into a penalty situation before. In part because I usually don't take many but lately I've carded a lot more than normal. Last few years I've been averaging 0.6-0.7...
  12. Daddio

Updates to Garmin Approach R10 driving range

Don't know if many in here bought an R10 but it looks like they made some substantial upgrades to the driving range when I updated mine yesterday. Appears that they added some 'target' style ranges and the ability to fine tune R10 distances to typical on course distances via tweaks to...
  13. Daddio

Kudos HS Golf coaches

I spent a couple days volunteering at our HS State championship earlier this week. This was my 5th straight year volunteering. As usual there was some impressive golf played and the kids were again great ambassadors, polite, appreciative, and engaged. One thing was different this year though...
  14. Daddio

Garmin Approach R10 Launch Monitor. Are THPers happy with it / dissatisfied with it / using yours often?

I couldn't find a staffer review on the Garmin Approach R10. Apologies if it exists. The unit has been out a while and has supposedly gone through several firmware upgrades and I wondered how THPers who purchased or heavily researched the unit felt about it now? I've had some extra golf $$$...
  15. Daddio

Chipped iron face

I caught a hidden pebble playing a shot from the rough with my Titleist T300 5 iron last weekend. The chip isn't real deep but still bugs me because I just had these built a few months ago and chip is pretty close to center of sweet spot. T300 isn't forged and I think the iron faces...
  16. Daddio

Did something I'd never done before yesterday.

I made 5 straight threes. It's possible that the planet's aligned and I miraculously made 3 in a row decades ago but I sure don't remember it. But 5? A lot had to do with how the course I played yesterday is configured. 7, 9, and 10 are par threes. Also the course being sloppy wet helped...
  17. Daddio

Fluke Big Cedar Opportunity Paynes Valley, Ozark National, Buffalo Ridge

Posting link incase any THPers were looking to get on these tracks and couldn't. Just got an email from MO Golf Association that a foursome has to back out meaning a set of prime tee times are available. Short notice but almost impossible to get tee times, especially at PV and ON so this will...
  18. Daddio

Amateur approach shot trends, reliable studies, fallacies, ramifications, etc...

Concerning amateur golfers and approaches into greens. Wondering if anyone else put some time into analyzing their own trends and results and what might be some of the better comprehensive data studies available by professional sources? After reading quite a few assertations and reasons in...
  19. Daddio

Playing implications to ordering irons a degree or two stronger?

My scheduled iron fitting is finally almost here and I'm batting around the idea of possibly having the lofts strengthened if whatever I'm fit for peaks too high. I'm assuming it will be another game improvement offering or possibly a players distance set? My current set (Cobra King F6 with...
  20. Daddio

Hot Springs Village AR: Must play courses? Courses you'd avoid?

I'm running out of good excuses and am probably going to have to start going down there on some of my wife's crystal digging excursions. I know I'm stuck going next month with her and a girlfriend and I'm not going to dig in the dirt all weekend. Never been before but there looks to be quite...
Back