Search results for query: *

1. darthweasel

Old Man shakes fist at sky; handicap posting as a single

Okay, this one risks going down a dark rabbit hole but... Part of the nature of how I golf leads to an unfortunate number of solo rounds. I enjoy them...whenever I remember my earbuds I throw them in, thrown on some music I like and off I go. Whenever possible I try to match up with others but...
  2. darthweasel

Darthweasel Golf Goals

Few threads out there on various handicap goals and so froth and this seems like a good place to start posting some of my random thoughts and reflections. Several people through the years have been shocked to hear I was not a single digit handicap. And to be fair, i have all the tools..I have...
  3. darthweasel

Winter full of sim swings: Will it translate to the course?

The question: is sim golf helpful? The anecdotal evidence: as a self-proclaimed "fair weather golfer" I don't get as many months to golf as I would prefer. as I type this I am watching the rain fall and knowing I ain't teeing it up for real today. With that said, for the last year and change I...
  4. darthweasel

Random Thoughts based on a round with 3 guys much better than I

I recently joined a semi-private club. It has been beneficial in several ways...one being the slowest round I have played on the member side (there are 2 courses they rotate: one is "private" for 2 weeks, the other "public", then they switch them) is 3:43. One one of those days the wife was...
  5. darthweasel

Right shoulder dive: Old Man shakes fist at sky

I was humming along, very happy. Club path inside out varying from 1 to 3 degrees 80% of the time with club face within that same range. Consistently a reasonable, very playable miss. Being an old man I then suffered a shoulder injury/ What was it? Nobody knows...woke up one morning with my arm...
  6. darthweasel

Las Vegas tail end of February

I will be in Vegas the 20th through the 27th...the end days are travel days and Sunday would need to be about 2 or 3 in afternoon, but anyone in the area, let me know if you want to catch a round or two. I am not set on courses but do have the following high in my sights: 1-2 rounds at...
  7. darthweasel

Upcoming Club Fitting

So there is some background to this. I have been playing the Taylormade M6 irons for a few years. On the one hand I really like them...solid distance, good forgiveness, when I am swinging well I can move it right to left and when not the left to right is nowhere near as exaggerated as they...
  8. darthweasel

Warning: Angry Rant incoming; Sometimes I despise people...sometimes others redeem them

I have been having some serious knee issues that have all but ended my golfing and other stuff but this past Monday I looked at the weather, called Bandon and was able to get on Bandon Dunes itself Friday and Sheep Ranch Saturday as a single being paired with threesomes. I can work out a way to...
  9. darthweasel

Smack Talk gone awry

in the "last topped tee shot" thread, someone made a reply that brought this gem to mind from a few years ago when I "played" a slice (read aimed 70 yards left of intended line and generally ended up right of it): Playing 2 man scramble against long time friends. There is a pond 30 yards in...
  10. darthweasel

Because there are never posts about pace...

someone said this in a thread...and I don't want them to feel like this is directed at them and did not want to derail that thread...thought I would bring it up here "I don't get this obsession with blowing through the course. How about enjoy your time on the course and maybe meet some new...
  11. darthweasel

Observations from a saturday round

As usual, was matched up with randoms. Playing a course that has three sets of tees plus one unmarked except by a round disc set for "tips"...so the longest marked are 6200 and change. Made a few observations during the round with no specific theme, but there is one doozy of an observation...
  12. darthweasel

Instant karma smurf-slapped me

Playing a scramble last night (2v2). As it turns out, my partner might as well not have been there as we used every single one of my strokes and not one of his. I was playing the ball down as outside of being in one divot on 7 and wanting to see if I had learned anything, had good lies across...
  13. darthweasel

Do you understand differential?

inspired by the "prep" thread...and this really applies more to people who carry a handicap...do you understand the differential? I have friends who when looking at what constitutes their cap aren't clear on why some of the lowest scores aren't included. I have tried to explain to some of my...
  14. darthweasel

Lowest Score Wins

Sounds like there are a few on this thread who own/have read the book. Feels like a thread might be nice for those who have not. For those who have not read it, in introduction/review: written by David Wedzik and Erik Barzeski, it covers a range of topics: it points you (repeatedly) to a...
  15. darthweasel

Do you ever or would you intentionally lay up on a par 3?

It is possible I overdid it this week (walked 36 monday and again yesterday) and that showed up in my swing which got me to thinking. On the same hole both morning and afternoon for...reasons...I took a normally reliable club and dumped it in the water. Both times I made an above average chip...
  16. darthweasel

Questions about e6 software

Apologize if this is covered but my search-fu failed me. I am trying to dial in the useful parts on the sim that uses E6 and cannot find the below anywhere and could not find this topic in the forums. On the e6 software, using the driving range, some things are obvious...the round dots in a...
  17. darthweasel

Unique chance for extra practice: What would you do and, more importantly, why

First, the setup: I am about to spend ten days in Palm Springs. The wife and in-laws will spend most of the time laying by the pool and drinking. I got bored just typing that sentence. On the bright side, I will have a significantly large amount of time to practice. I plan to play 18-36 a day...
  18. darthweasel

Palm Springs June 15th-26th

Will be in palm Springs in June, the Friday and Saturday will be heading to LA for a Dodger game but other than that...will be bouncing around trying to play a course or two every day. Staying at the Oasis (couple miles from Tahquitz). if you are in or around Palm Springs and want to join up...
  19. darthweasel

The Guys you hope are not on THP

Playing Stone Creek yesterday. The setup is this: we are on the 17th green. The 3rd and 11th tee boxes are essentially next to each other (the holes are kind of mirrors; 3 is a slight dogleg left bending through trees, par 4, and 11 is a longer dogleg left with sharper turn through trees and a...
  20. darthweasel

Handicaps and two day tournaments

Did not want to hijack someone else's thread, so thought i would start my own. (which handicap? lowest of last 12 or current?) For the record, I think current is the only fair way (assuming people are honest. I give everyone the benefit of the doubt unless and until...and sometimes even...
Back