Search results for query: *

1. JonMA1

And the award for back-pedaling goes to...

After years of convincing myself to never again get fitted and giving brand new OEM releases almost no consideration, I'm going in for a driver fitting tomorrow at a local shop (one I swore to never give another chance :rolleyes:). I'm not sure what's going to happen. Will I'll pony up for a...
  2. JonMA1

Do all high handicappers benefit from more offset?

Not sure if this is more of a question for fitters, or if any high cappers have experienced success with less offset iron heads.
  3. JonMA1

Using E6 Analytics to Improve

I started another thread about my plan this winter/next spring to improve my driver for the 2024 season. Part of that plan involves using the simulator during the winter. I had lost confidence with indoor practice after many years without success, but I've decided to give it another go. So, I'm...
  4. JonMA1

Developing a "Fairway Finder"

This is the goal for 2024. Whether that requires lessons in the spring, lots of sim work this winter, experimenting with different shafts... without drastic improvement with this specific part of the game, there will never be substantial improvement to my scores and index with my current driver...
  5. JonMA1

When it clicks

We all do our fair share of complaining about how bad our games are (some of us more than others :whistle:). The game can go from humbling to frustrating to maddening at times. There are those other times, however, when the game is rewarding and fun and there's a sense that - even if it's only...
  6. JonMA1

Looking for opinions on a slightly older model driver

New or used. I know the new drivers and shafts are incredible. Unfortunately, I'm on a budget. There are some affordable drivers from models just a few years old. The Callaway X Hot can be bought new for under $200, for example. What is your opinion on the tech? How far back before it becomes a...
  7. JonMA1

Overreacting to a Small Sample of Data

Didn't get out to the course today so instead I pulled a graphite shaft (ended up ruining it) that I'd hoped to use to build a single iron from a new set I'm considering testing. I ended up hiting a couple different clubs on the LM. I was inspired by this thread and decided to compare numbers...
  8. JonMA1

Please educate me on cast vs forged irons

I'm considering a new set of SGI irons. The ones I'm looking at are forged. The only thing I know for sure is that they can be bent easier than cast heads should I ever need adjustments. Is there a downside to forged clubs? Do they require more care? Are they more prone to damage if I hit a...
  9. JonMA1

What Causes Your Blowup Rounds

We all have them. For those with a solid game, it may not be a complete collapse, just a disappointing score. For others, it feels like a complete loss of control... "like I've never held a golf club in my hand" as it's been described.
  10. JonMA1

Playing Vintage Clubs - Do You Post Your Scores?

I've had a hankering to play a couple rounds with my set of vintage Hogan Radials. I took the E-wedge out yesterday and hit it about as well as expected. I took the 3i of that set out tonight and hit a couple dozen shots - not expecting to make great contact. To my surprise, I also hit that club...
  11. JonMA1

Shot Tracking and Course Modifications

It's hard to tell by the picture, but I believe they're trying to increase the size of this green. Just this week, they mowed at green height about 10' out. You can see where the original green starts and the edge of the "new green" in the bottom right corner. Anyway, I 3-putted from this spot...
  12. JonMA1

Measure Course Data or Not?

Does anyone have stat tracking software but choose not to use it much? I have ShotScope and used it for most of my rounds in 2022, but after losing a couple tags decided to play the last several rounds of golf without it. Describing just my experience and not suggesting it applies to others...
  13. JonMA1

Owning Your Swing

What does that expression mean to you? For me, it means when addressing the ball, I can clear my mind of any doubts or thoughts regarding mechanics. Just swing and accept the results. I owned my swing last season but judging by the few swings I've taken outside so far this year; I still have a...
  14. JonMA1

Missing Short on Approach Shots

There are some differing opinions. I try to be objective, but I have mine as well. Let me say from the start, I miss short far more often than any other type, I have known golfers who repeatedly make some really silly club selection decisions, and I'm considering a reduction in 2023 from what I...
  15. JonMA1

How Close is Your Simulator Game to Your Actual Game

I had a good laugh with my boss the other day about what I refer to as "my pretend rounds in pretend golf". He's the one who talked me into getting the Garmin and he just received his own last week. He asked me if that makes my E6 handicap pretend. I replied that I'm not going to go around...
  16. JonMA1

How Should I Play This Hole

Hole 15 at Antioch Hills (Mesick, MI) is a par 5 where I struggle to avoid penalty strokes. From the blues tees the hole plays at about 490 yards and something like 470 from the white tees. A marsh requires 140-150 yards of carry off the tee. The fairway and rough are less than 30 yards wide at...
  17. JonMA1

Your Last Round Was One of Your Best...

How well do you play your next? My next round is usually pretty bad. Combination of high expectations and over-confidence. I'm playing tomorrow morning, so I'll see how it goes.
  18. JonMA1

Why Two Sets of Irons or Complete Bags

I've been considering another set of irons. My gamers are great... love them. But I wouldn't mind have another set that are totally different just 'cause. Maybe something older. Steel shafts instead of graphite. Maybe more of a players club, maybe the opposite end of the spectrum like the...
  19. JonMA1

Tips For Faster Play

Instead of the normal b!tchfest that pace of play threads bring about, maybe some ideas or habits that faster players use might make for a more positive thread. Since most of my rounds are solo and since I'm a high capper, I'll post some things I do that help speed up my game of golf. Not...
  20. JonMA1

Contemplating Retirement - Describe Your Transition

I turn 62 this year. I'm close financially, but not yet mentally prepared for it. I mean, how do you break away from what has always been a huge part of your entire adult life? Not going to lie, there's a little bit of apprehension in making the jump. I can do the numbers between my current...
Back