Do all high handicappers benefit from more offset?

JonMA1

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
High
Not sure if this is more of a question for fitters, or if any high cappers have experienced success with less offset iron heads.

Nope.

I am a high capper and cannot do much offset. I yank everything left. Just can’t make my brain not see it.

No. More offset makes me pull everything left, it drove me nuts in my previous irons. My current irons have less offset and my results with them are much better.

There are Tour pros playing blades that like/want/need a lot of offset and high cappers who are the opposite. It's not a handicap specific thing to see benefits from it necessarily. There's trends but everyone is different.

Nope. Some have no issues squaring the face and getting launch.

I think it depends on why you are a high handicap?

For me personally, Its because I have swing flaws and a general lack of experience in the game. Offset has nothing to do with it. I pull hook more than anything and I don't slice much anymore. I'm still pretty crappy.

High handicap amateurs that blame the lefts on offset don't know what offset does and expect a club to fix their janky swing.

High handicap amateurs that blame the lefts on offset don't know what offset does and expect a club to fix their janky swing.
Agreed. The two irons in my set, that have the most offset (5 and 4mm respectively) and I have a hard time turning them over. 8i on down(3.5mm and less on down) I have problem drawing the ball.
I switch to a 6i I have in the basement which has very little offset (2mm) and draw the ball with ease with it.

Offset in irons usually has a common misconception that it means draw. When most of the time the offset just means that the face sits back a certain length from the hosel which pulls the cog back in the head which should help with launching the ball easier.
Sure, certain woods can have offset where the face is closed a degree or more. Think Cobra F-Max Airspeed, etc. but those are designed that way.

Twenty-five years ago I returned to golf following a ten year break to follow both our sons sports. I inherited my father-in-law's golf equipment. His club's were a matched set of Daiwa Hi-trac lie system irons with Wisker graphite shafts. The most off-set is the 3-iron, with the amount of off-set reducing as the lofts increase. The wedge (10-iron) and SW have nil off-set. I loved those irons but I loved Pop better. Still miss him.

I actually have a much harder time drawing a club with a lot of offset

Do all...no. Do most...probably

That's probably because your swing isn't janky AF.

Right but i'm also agreeing with you, i don't think offset causes draw/hook. I have a pretty good swing and for me it's actually harder to get that flight

Right but i'm also agreeing with you, i don't think offset causes draw/hook. I have a pretty good swing and for me it's actually harder to get that flight
I knew you were agreeing. Just trying to hammer home for the readers, offset doesn't cause lefts, swings cause lefts

I knew you were agreeing. Just trying to hammer home for the readers, offset doesn't cause lefts, swings cause lefts
Janky swings at least 😀

There are so many variables that go into someone’s handicap I think it would be hard to put all of them in a box with offset, balls, shafts, etc.

OEM's look at the data out there and see that when they put offset in the SGI or GI then most users of those clubs get benefits. It is a good thing that there are other clubs available if someone doesn't need the offset. Yet another reason to get fit so that you are not fighting something that can be fixed by playing the right equipment.

There are so many variables that go into someone’s handicap I think it would be hard to put all of them in a box with offset, balls, shafts, etc.

This makes sense to me. I’m all over the map with dispersion but its a balanced 2-way miss. According to data, I seem to have a relatively consistent swing path, so the misses are likely due to a lack of club face control(?). I'm not sure offset will address that. OTOH, because I can be all over the face, the other tech that goes into SGI clubs and help my off-center contact are absolutely beneficial.

It might have been an incorrect assumption on my part, but offset seems prevalent in so many SGI clubs. My Maltby SGI irons do not have near the amount of offset that many of the Calloway SGI offerings have, for example.

I think it is probably what @echico posted above. Club manufacturers simply use data to decide how to design club heads. Some OEMs (older Hogans come to mind) will have 2 different models of the same club head - one with a lot of offset, one with less.

I never liked the idea of buying a driver with a draw bias. I thought it was better to work on fixing a slice with better mechanics. But I understand why those clubs are built. The majority of misses by golfers - and especially high cappers - are probably slices.

Depends on the club. Some GI's have more offset than others. I one time played a set of ultra game improvement irons and ended up hooking more shots than anything else. One day I was struggling with the hooks and my playing partner handed me his iron and said "Try this". I hit nice, high shots with a baby draw. He played the Nike TW irons, which according to conventional wisdom I should not have been able to hit.

Offset is meant to have the hands in front of the face on impact which most amateurs struggle with. The problem is many amateurs also close the face through impact which will lead to a hook and will be exacerbated by offset.

I'm glad some manufacturers are getting away from large amounts of offset like TM and Cleveland.

Offset is meant to have the hands in front of the face on impact which most amateurs struggle with. The problem is many amateurs also close the face through impact which will lead to a hook and will be exacerbated by offset.

I'm glad some manufacturers are getting away from large amounts of offset like TM and Cleveland.

That makes sense. Though failing to get our hands in front of the ball at impact will cause bigger issues than poor face control, correct?

It's a given that high cappers either have bad swing mechanics or even with usable swings, are incapable of bringing the club into a good enough impact position repeatedly enough to score low. Hence the reason we are high cappers. Despite what some folks think, few of us believe equipment is going to have a huge impact on our "janky" swings unless we're currently gaming just terribly fitted equipment.

As others have posted, offset isn't going to fix the myriad of reasons some of us don't score well. If it helps 75% of the high cappers, cool. The most offset clubs I've ever owned were Mizuno JPX 850s and they weren't as offset as some of the Callaway SGI irons. So when I'm looking at the specs of clubs and I see some with so much more offset than others, I have to ask the question.

While a club fitting is great for most, it isn't a reasonable solution for some of us. It would make more sense for me to buy a few different single clubs and see for myself how they perform on turf before buying the entire used set.

Maybe... maybe not... I think offset is more of a visual thing than an actual tech or whatever you want to call it. thing...

That makes sense. Though failing to get our hands in front of the ball at impact will cause bigger issues than poor face control, correct?

It's a given that high cappers either have bad swing mechanics or even with usable swings, are incapable of bringing the club into a good enough impact position repeatedly enough to score low. Hence the reason we are high cappers. Despite what some folks think, few of us believe equipment is going to have a huge impact on our "janky" swings unless we're currently gaming just terribly fitted equipment.

As others have posted, offset isn't going to fix the myriad of reasons some of us don't score well. If it helps 75% of the high cappers, cool. The most offset clubs I've ever owned were Mizuno JPX 850s and they weren't as offset as some of the Callaway SGI irons. So when I'm looking at the specs of clubs and I see some with so much more offset than others, I have to ask the question.

While a club fitting is great for most, it isn't a reasonable solution for some of us. It would make more sense for me to buy a few different single clubs and see for myself how they perform on turf before buying the entire used set.
Offset if used properly will help maintain that lag that produces power.
I had the Rogue ST Max which had lots of offset and I was hitting the snot out of them but that thick topline and offset would visually drive me nuts and I traded them for Stealths. I was much longer with the Rogue ST Max because of that offset, but not as accurate as with the Stealths which have much less offset.

Trying to find the perfect irons will drive you crazy. :ROFLMAO: Good Luck.

Back