Search results for query: *

1. E

Unwitnessed ace

I've not had one but have had three near misses (as in touched cup but didn't fall) in the last few years. I was pondering what I would do if one of them had gone in... I think I might have mentioned it offhand to a friend or two, but I'm sort of unexcitable and well, it would have been my 8th...
  2. E

Golf advertisements that amuse/frighten/confuse.

For those that watch too much golf channel or are slow on the "skip ad" button on youtube... The example that is killing me in the sense it keeps popping in my head is the square strike wedge. I don't have any problem with the merit of the equipment even though it is basically a chipper and...
  3. E

I feel like a science experiment. Modern equipment and all that.

I took about ten years off from playing. I used to float around around a 4 then serious health problems caused me to quit and now it is like I have someone else's body. I've been around a 16 handicap and played a lot of old random equipment (all my old stuff disappeared at some point and I had...
  4. E

It is time for a second world's worst golfer contest.

I was thinking about this for some reason. The 1985 Golf Digest worst golfer contest. https://www.golfdigest.com/story/gd0985wagandrews An idea whose time has returned. Maybe it has and I missed it. It wouldn't be pretty or something I'd want to see more than once every few years if that...
  5. E

Scorecard yardage lol.

I always knew that one of the two courses I grew up on had an inflated scorecard. I never much cared. However, I finally got bored and decided it was time to figure out how much: Highland Springs (WV) vs. Google Earth (Sol System). For the title: (I'm giving Highland credit for the physical...
  6. E

Golf without holes

I can't sleep and this is bothering me..., I'm trying to play as much as possible during the winter. I have access to a course, but am told conflicting stories as to whether there will be holes once they get around to taking out the flags. It is a executive length par 3 in the county park. The...
  7. E

Weird results from hitting the stick:

I'd never seen it, heard of it, or thought about it until today. I hit a high nine iron that came straight down on the top of the stick, bounced back up and ended up twenty yards behind the hole and would have went further but for the upslope and the ankle-deep cabbage the ball buried itself in...
  8. E

Rake and Place as local rule to speed up play?

Wouldn't having a "rake and place" rule in effect on a crowded course with a bunch of sand speed up play quite a bit? It makes the absurd ritual of raking out footprints and turning the bunker back into a zen garden disappear because if the next fool that hits the bunker lands in your footprint...
  9. E

Golf and Humble Beginnings

I started babbling about my youth golf experiences in that penalty stroke thread. I feel like posting about more low rent stuff so I figured I'd start a thread so myself and others who came at golf from humble salt of the earth blue collar working class backgrounds can tell a few war stories...
  10. E

Quest for the Birdie/Double Eagle...

For some reason I get a perverse joy from making par after hitting a tee shot OB (or losing it or whatever ends in stroke and distance). I'd love to make a birdie that way. I almost had one yesterday on a short par 5. My fourth/second burned the edge, a hair left and it would have been...
  11. E

Upper Ohio Valley WV/OH/PA chat thread

Anyone out there? I play out of the Wellsburg area. Brooke Hills Par 3 might be as tough a course there is in the area. Has some long holes, and the greens are running fast but not too fast to make a joke out of the subtle undulations of the greens from some soil settling. Mountaineer Woodview...
  12. E

Greetings from Almost Heaven

I started playing golf at about seven. Quit when I was 37. Just started again at 47. Golf became an unhealthy obsession when I started to slip away from scratch so had to give it up; then eventually change of circumstances making golf more viable as a hobby; etc. I'm just trying to enjoy the...
Back