12 Holes vs 18 Holes

I prefer 18, with those lacking time bowing out at the 9 hole mark or really playing as many as they have time for. Our course is set up so you could play 5 and finish almost at the clubhouse for those who work late.

re-rating may not be necessary, at least at first. perhaps only allow handicap posting for 9-hole or 18-hole scores, not for the 6- or 12-hole rounds.

as far as redesigning, i can see that as a potential hurdle. not every course has the ability to reroute. but i think if the courses that can offer this and do it in a way that is intelligent and geared toward pace and enjoyment, it could be very successful.

not every course needs to and maybe even should participate. we already have somewhat of an unspoken demarcation between enthusiasts and casual golfers; it's called "price." i don't see too many newbies playing the $200 tracks in my area, or said differently i don't see a huge number of them to the point that they're backing up courses.

my other thought is where possible, the usga and other governing bodies could offer to help with the redesign costs. in exchange for the funding, the course would need to agree to offer junior programs, and maybe block out tee times for newer golfers and offer lower rates. let the governing bodies subsidize growth, instead of spending millions on stupid distance studies.
You could potentially adapt the handicap system to accept 12 hole rounds and calculate the handicap based on you best score of 9 aggregate holes. It wouldn’t be perfect since you would likely have to accept the rating/slope of the full 12 as the basis, and your 3 worst holes might be the three highest rated.

It could be done however, take an 18 hole course and change it to 3 sides, for 3 six hole courses. If rerouting a few are necessary, it still fixes so many current issues.
The former General Manager at our Club four years ago said this exact same thing to me. He saw a trend with younger members coming in and times changing that a traditional 18 hole course would not appeal to them in the future and even noted that it impacted the restaurant and the bar in that they werent hanging around for drinks and food, they were not signing up for Club Tournaments that took a good portion of the day and he thought the answer was three six whole setups where people could play six of the first twelve if they wanted and could also basically be set up as a twelve hole round for handicap and event purposes but maintain and keep a third six for people who wanted a traditional Eighteen hole round . He really believed that was the future and when i read your first post starting this thread it reminded me of that conversation.

I played 11-14 holes hundreds of times at my last club in California. We lived close to the 9th tee and my daughter and I would go out in the evenings when the course was empty and easily finish 12 holes in under 90 minutes.

I still think 9 is perfectly fine.

I do think there's a place for more executive courses out there.
This is the answer. When I started playing there were par 3 courses everywhere. That's where new golfers could go to learn the game until they were accomplished enough to play a real course. If you were pressed for time you could be in and out in an hour if you wanted. Didn't even need clubs; they rented them out on the cheap.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

This is the answer. When I started playing there were par 3 courses everywhere. That's where new golfers could go to learn the game until they were accomplished enough to play a real course. If you were pressed for time you could be in and out in an hour if you wanted. Didn't even need clubs; they rented them out on the cheap.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

And what do you say to the people that see it on TV and don't want to learn the game on a short, lesser experience of course? Too bad? :ROFLMAO: (which for what its worth, I am fine with if that is the way the public views it)

If something is to evolve and be more accepting, which I think the masses have asked for with the constant barrage of "the game is too stuffy", thinking outside the box has its advantages.

Nobody is taking 18 holes away, it still exists, just divided into 3 instead of 2.

No fine with nine and then as time permits do 18. Not adverse to thought of 12 but might actually be too much to fit in some days.

At my age and with busy life 9 is enough and and I can combine 9s for full round

You could potentially adapt the handicap system to accept 12 hole rounds and calculate the handicap based on you best score of 9 aggregate holes. It wouldn’t be perfect since you would likely have to accept the rating/slope of the full 12 as the basis, and your 3 worst holes might be the three highest rated.
It could be as simple as if you play 6 holes, doesn't count to handicap. If you play 12 holes, only the first 9 count. 18 remains the same. I don't think keeping a handicap is a priority for people who would play 6 or 12 vs. 9 and 18.

Absolutely for me! More rounds could be played by people after work. Those who don’t have time for 9 after work could play 6, and those who usually play 9 after work might be able to squeeze a full 12 in. And on those days when you have lots of time, and would normally play 18, maybe you go around twice and play 24. Endless possibilities all with the outcome of people playing and enjoying more golf.

It could be as simple as if you play 6 holes, doesn't count to handicap. If you play 12 holes, only the first 9 count. 18 remains the same. I don't think keeping a handicap is a priority for people who would play 6 or 12 vs. 9 and 18.
I bet this would be a pretty easy adaptation for the handicap system. With all the computations, adjustments for weather/course conditions, slope, rating , course par, etc, adjusting to a different number of holes would be just another algorithm that could be computed in by the GHIN system.

I bet this would be a pretty easy adaptation for the handicap system. With all the computations, adjustments for weather/course conditions, slope, rating , course par, etc, adjusting to a different number of holes would be just another algorithm that could be computed in by the GHIN system.
Very true. It's just a math equation at the end of the day, isn't it?

AFter reading a little, we are talking about changing 18 to 12? not just having 12 as an option?

I mean after 18, I wish I could go around again haha. But I do think that 3 6s vs 2 9s would be better overall. Giving people options.

I have sometimes wondered about keeping it 18 holes but breaking it up into groups of 6 holes instead of 9. That way people could play 6, 12 or 18. If a course have 5 six hole tracks they could offer a massive variety of playing options.

should probably just more to individual hole pricing. Really let the consumer customize his or her experience. You could even charge more for par 5s or signature holes. Less experienced players could forgo those difficult holes, making the game more accessible in both cost and skill level! double win! Courses could make more by charging a "tee box fee" a graduated scale charging more for further tees. Not only would this encourage people to play the "correct" tee box, it would also speed up play! #ideas

I love this idea and always have. Breaking the course into 3 6 hole chunks or building 24 hole courses where you can mix and match 6, 12, 18 seems smart to me.

Last edited:
So @JB let’s say your idea gains traction and broad acceptance.

What does implementation look like?

On a macro level - do all courses adapt at the same time? Phased?

Does the handicap system have to adjust? When? Is there an interim period where the system has to accommodate 9, 18, 6 and 12?

How does a current state 9 hole course comply? Dump 3 holes?

At the local course level, what are the potential costs? Rerouting? New scorecards, etc? Software updates for scoring systems? Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Like any other change, the tricky part is the implementation and transition period.

One must also consider whether wholesale changes intended to attract new customers will drive away the existing base. Any thoughts on that? To some degree I feel like you’re seeing that type of feedback (not exclusively, but some) here in this thread.

It's a very interesting idea, and something that makes a lot of sense to me. Kids nowadays don't have time to do anything that takes much more than an hour and a half. I can't even sit and watch what my kids watch on YouTube because before the video is done their searching for a new video. So, anything that might get a young crowd to see they can play a "round" in under 2 hours, and it's also affordable, that's a great thing to grow the game. As JB mentioned, it doesn't mean that the 18 hole course is going to go away, but the option of not being stuck in a 4 1/2 to 5 hour round is appealing to me for sure. I'm not against the change, it won't effect my love for the game, just gives me more options to play. Heck, maybe I really don't like holes 7 - 12...so I just play 1-6 and 13-18 instead, AND I pay less to do so.

I'd rather see golf stay at 18 holes but have every 6th hole come back to the clubhouse. I know of a few courses that do this and they are extremely successful.

I have sometimes wondered about keeping it 18 holes but breaking it up into groups of 6 holes instead of 9. That way people could play 6, 12 or 18. If a course have 5 six hole tracks they could offer a massive variety of playing options.

this is exactly what i envision as well. 3 6-hole courses, with re-routing options. for those opposed who say it's not possible, i agree, but only to the extent that it's not possible without some tweaking and investment. but if we are forward-thinking, it feels like this could be a great option for the future of the game.

to those saying that's what par 3 courses are for, i (and retailers/oems) would disagree. i like hitting driver. i like more birdie opportunities. par 3 courses make those pretty difficult for me!

this is exactly what i envision as well. 3 6-hole courses, with re-routing options. for those opposed who say it's not possible, i agree, but only to the extent that it's not possible without some tweaking and investment. but if we are forward-thinking, it feels like this could be a great option for the future of the game.

to those saying that's what par 3 courses are for, i (and retailers/oems) would disagree. i like hitting driver. i like more birdie opportunities. par 3 courses make those pretty difficult for me!

This is better said than I could muster.
Its such an inviting prospect to new golfers. Will it ever happen? Probably not, its not like it is being discussed anywhere. It came from inside the head of a lunatic (me) several years ago and has been there ever since.

Once again I’m puzzled, 6 holes, 12 holes, 18 holes isn’t even a question for many golfers, we’ve been playing that way all along. Executive courses and twilight rounds are a way of life, you don’t need consensus, or approval from a governing body, just play golf.

I remember Jack NickLaus floated this idea 10-15 years ago, and I believe Muirfield Hosted a 12 Hole tournament shortly after that. The first British open was contested on 12 holes at Prestwick as well.

There is a 6 hole course in France called La Jenny, it is a naturalist golf course (nude)..lol

18 holes! Need to all the time.

re-rating may not be necessary, at least at first. perhaps only allow handicap posting for 9-hole or 18-hole scores, not for the 6- or 12-hole rounds.

as far as redesigning, i can see that as a potential hurdle. not every course has the ability to reroute. but i think if the courses that can offer this and do it in a way that is intelligent and geared toward pace and enjoyment, it could be very successful.

not every course needs to and maybe even should participate. we already have somewhat of an unspoken demarcation between enthusiasts and casual golfers; it's called "price." i don't see too many newbies playing the $200 tracks in my area, or said differently i don't see a huge number of them to the point that they're backing up courses.

my other thought is where possible, the usga and other governing bodies could offer to help with the redesign costs. in exchange for the funding, the course would need to agree to offer junior programs, and maybe block out tee times for newer golfers and offer lower rates. let the governing bodies subsidize growth, instead of spending millions on stupid distance studies.
I honestly just can not grasp this idea, if someone wants to play 6 holes pay for but quit after 6. I also can not see the economics for the course of offering 4 different rates, 6, 9, , 12 and 18.

I honestly just can not grasp this idea, if someone wants to play 6 holes pay for but quit after 6. I also can not see the economics for the course of offering 4 different rates, 6, 9, , 12 and 18.
For me it isn't even about the 6. It is the ability to play 12 when I don't have time for 18 without having to quit a couple holes on the back 9.

You pay in 6 hole increments. Instead of 9 or 18 it becomes 6, 12 or 18. It’s one extra rate.

For me it isn't even about the 6. It is the ability to play 12 when I don't have time for 18 without having to quit a couple holes on the back 9.
Just play 9 on those days. Or pay for 18 and just quit when you hit your time limit.

If they could set up courses into 3 6-hole segments where 6, 12 and 18 would finish near the clubhouse it could work. Though how do you police people who pay for 12 holes but play 18 anyway to avoid paying the full green fee?

Back