12 Holes vs 18 Holes

If they could set up courses into 3 6-hole segments where 6, 12 and 18 would finish near the clubhouse it could work. Though how do you police people who pay for 12 holes but play 18 anyway to avoid paying the full green fee?
Same way you police it now for people that pay for 9 and try to play 18?

We have a new course called The Yards that offer 12 holes as an option. Havent had the opportunity to play there yet but feedback from those that have seem to like the format. I personally don't know if I could ever feel comfortable with a switch to 12 holes being a round of golf.

I think the 3 6 holes set up would be cool. I’ve seen several places here in Florida try for the 3 9s and never finish the 3rd 9 or end up having to close one of the 9s. Having 3 places to start tee times, if designed well, would help with pace of play. And “hole clocks” on the carts.
Hell include designated warm up areas. Be here at 9am. You get 10mins full shots, next area 10 mins chips Ect, next spot 10 mins putting, next spot you are teeing off at 930 and on your way. You cant run over on time because there is someone right behind you waiting for that area.

I think the 3 6 holes set up would be cool. I’ve seen several places here in Florida try for the 3 9s and never finish the 3rd 9 or end up having to close one of the 9s. Having 3 places to start tee times, if designed well, would help with pace of play.

Love this byproduct of it. Our last course had three 9s and used them appropriately for starting and it worked wonders

I think it would be really tough. Imagine playing matches over 12 holes instead of 18? Or you start double-double and have 10 holes left to recover? I feel like 12 holes is too short and would end up being more frustrating than anything else.

I do think that 5 hours for 18 holes is insane and happens far too often, so I am all for ideas to get me home earlier and playing more golf.

I am probably to traditional on this. I don’t mind playing 9 if I don’t have the time allotment. Otherwise, I would rather play 18. I would have a hard time getting my arms around the handicapping, the creation of new courses that would not have 18 v. the existing courses that do, tournament play ramifications, etc.

I am probably to traditional on this. I don’t mind playing 9 if I don’t have the time allotment. Otherwise, I would rather play 18. I would have a hard time getting my arms around the handicapping, the creation of new courses that would not have 18 v. the existing courses that do, tournament play ramifications, etc.
In a technical sense your golf doesn’t have to change. Want to play 18, matches done at 18, etc etc don’t change. That’s three 6’s.

Less than 18 ?? Like finding a good-looking woman at the bar and having the luck to get her home - only to say goodnight at the door.

In a technical sense your golf doesn’t have to change. Want to play 18, matches done at 18, etc etc don’t change. That’s three 6’s.
It’s true. I acknowledge that I have not read the entire thread. It’s interesting, the more I think about it and I will, but apologies if this has been discussed. How would you break up the various par 4’s, 5’s and 3’s if you divide an 19 hole course into three 6’s.

With my family, we play different number of holes depending on when we can get out and how the boys are doing. Generally try to get 12 in at least, but have done 9 and recently, they feel better about going through the whole 18!

Jack Nicklaus was a driving force behind 12-hole golf in Florida believing it was ideal for busy people. And there is much talk that 18-hole courses are too big a footprint these days and of course require a lot of water and maintenance etc....so it's definitely not out of the question for 12-hole courses to start popping up. I'm all for innovation provided it also helps deal with the slow-play problem.

I honestly just can not grasp this idea, if someone wants to play 6 holes pay for but quit after 6. I also can not see the economics for the course of offering 4 different rates, 6, 9, , 12 and 18.

i mean, they already have different rates for early morning, mid morning, twilight, weekdays, weekends, in-season, off-season, etc, right? it's not like adding one or two more rates will blow up their pos system choices haha

the idea really isn't targeted at core golfers. i don't know too many courses that aren't interested in more revenue. and all we hear about is how golf is losing golfers every year. i feel like quarantining and wfh played a major role in last year's explosion. quarantining is hopefully going to end soon, not sure about wfh. but regardless, as the world returns to normalcy i don't think people will have as much free time as they did in 2020. we had a great year in golf last year, maybe making the game more accessible and more conducive to today's frenetic and overcrowded schedules could help keep these people interested.

I don't know what the logistics of 3 different 6 holes courses starting times is but there is a local course near me that has 3 9s and it works well on timing and starting.

There are some days when I am paired with some not so nice Golfers in our men's club tourneys I wish we were only playing 9 and then when I get into a foursome of some good nice respectable players and friends - I wish were were doing 27 or 36.
the not so nice golfers in these tourneys are guys that play loud music during the round of play. They also pick up short putts, take improper drops and when you call them on it they say that is how we always play it.:eek:

I honestly just can not grasp this idea, if someone wants to play 6 holes pay for but quit after 6. I also can not see the economics for the course of offering 4 different rates, 6, 9, , 12 and 18.
In my mind 9 and 18 go away. You play 6, 12 or 18. The previous 4.5 hour slow round is still slow but now it only takes 1.5, 3 or the full 4.5 hours. Courses would have to return to the clubhouse every 6th hole, which could certainly cause some interesting isssues - even for new designs. It’s conceptual...

I could seecthaycworking if courses turned their 18 holes into 3 x 6 hole tracks, giving people AB AC or BC..

Are there any bottles of Scotch that have only 12 Shots in it? that is how and why we got to 18.:D

I'd have to give it more thought, but my initial, cynical reaction is - how would courses to use this to charge more for green fees and cart rental?

It could be as simple as if you play 6 holes, doesn't count to handicap. If you play 12 holes, only the first 9 count. 18 remains the same. I don't think keeping a handicap is a priority for people who would play 6 or 12 vs. 9 and 18.
Maybe? I imagine there are plenty of us here who keep handicaps and would want to post everything they can.

I haven't read the whole thread.....

How do you get off the course after playing 12 holes without holding up play?

I am a believer that for golf to be as successful in the future, the time allotment will need to be altered. Without that, the game will be destined to a retirement sport in a lot of ways in my opinion. The connected world we live in makes it harder and harder to escape for long periods of time, despite the idea that it should technically be easier.

I have long thought the way to fix this is to make the game 12 holes with two 6 hole halves vs 18 holes with two nines. Would you play a round of golf that was 12 holes, if the recommended pace was 2 to 2.5 hours?
Id be all for it. I sometimes find 18 holes to be too long and time consuming. Funny thing is, 12 holes isnt a new thing. Back in the 1800s, 12-hole courses were very common in Scotland. I believe that Prestwick was originally a 12-hole course.

My home course is set up so there is a perfect 4-hole loop on the front side (1,2,8,9), a 3-hole loop on the back side (10,17,18), which they could sell (one or the other) late in the day for golfers who just want to come out to scratch the itch after work, but they haven't take up the idea so far.

Well, it was 22 holes before 18. why not 12 holes for the betterment of
golf. I'm sure Jack would disagree for the sake of his records and his golf course legacy.

I’d have no desire to play 12 holes. If you’re in a time crunch why not just play 9?

Back