2 Iron Recommendations

azfarrier

Average Hack
Reaction score
Handicap
So I've decided to add a 2 iron to my bag. I know I know "God can't hit a two iron" but I'm gonna give it a shot. My current irons are I-20's 3-SW and I hit them well. I'm very comfortable hitting my 3 and 4 iron and am very consistent with them so I'm not concerned about being able to hit the 2I. So if Ping made an I-20 2 iron it would be a no brainer for me but they don't. Can you guys recommend a similar style iron that's available in a 2 iron.

Callaway makes a 18 degree driving iron. Go to their website to check it out :thumb:

Mizuno MP-H4. I recently added the 2&3 irons and love them. Easy to hit as well as forgiving, high launch.

How about the Mizuno MPH4?

If you like Ping, you might be able to find a used s56. I have a Nike VR combo that I use on certain courses that I like. It's fairly easy to hit off the tee. The Titleist 712u could be an option. The Apex Pro is coming out with a 2.

I'd have to say either the Mizzy MPH4 or the Callaway Razr X Prototype driving iron.. both of 'em are amazing.

If you are looking for a 2 iron, check out Titleist's 712U. Looks like a 2 iron but is really easy to hit. Got to hit it at a demo day and I seriously thought ordering it on the spot.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I actually hit one of those Titleist 712Us on the range yesterday. I was surprised how easy it was to hit.

I took a 1 iron and an old PW to Vegas for my "desert club".
Myself, and puttin4bird hit it.
And had fun doing it.

Well..... Sort of.

I play with a 3 bent to a 2 sometimes and another buddy of mine bought one off of eBay. I also have a 2hy which is a bit easier to hit and won't shatter your arms on a mishit.

Btw, God can hit a 2 iron....it was the worst 1 iron that gave him problems. Just ask Lee Trevino ;)

Rap-a-tap Tappin' on my SG4

Thanks for all the recommendations. I had thought about the Ping driving iron but I want a more traditional looking iron. I think I'm leaning towards the Titleist 712U but I'm going to wait a couple weeks until the new Callaway Apex Pro's are out and try them both out.

I haven't hit any of the newer releases but have hit Mizuno FLI-HI, Bridgestone AirMuscle, and Cleveland LDI. All are very easy to hit (especially off the tee) and have a nice, boring ball flight. I currently game an LDI 21*, which seems more like a 2i b/c of it's length. I went with the LDI b/c it had a heavier shaft, 105g graphite. Not sure if you want new/used, old/new models but here's a link for an LDI.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Clevela...71208366797?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item27dcd05acd

I called my local shop this morning and they told me they had some demo clubs for the new Callaway Apex Pro's. I figured I'd go down and try them out along with the Titleist 712U. I told them my regular irons were Ping I20's and they asked if I wanted to try the Ping driving iron also. I said sure why not. I really didn't care for the look of it because I like a more traditional looking iron. It kind of reminds me of a cross between a hybrid and an iron. So I hit the Callaway first and liked it enough I figured I'd order one unless I liked the 712U better. I REALLY liked the Titleist club and told the guy ok this is the one. He said aren't you going to try the Ping. I said sure why not. I am so glad he said that. I was amazed at how easy it was to hit this club. I hit about twenty balls with it and they were all very consistent in distance and dispersion. Except for one that was total user error LOL. Needless to say I have an order placed with Ping and I will have a new Ping driving iron in the bag within 10 days. Thanks again for the advice and help.

I'm a Ping guy myself and my old Ping EYE2 2-iron makes in the bag especially when its really windy. I'm holding out for the new Ping Rapture 18* driving iron. Exactly what I'm looking for check out the reviews.

I'm a Ping guy myself and my old Ping EYE2 2-iron makes in the bag especially when its really windy. I'm holding out for the new Ping Rapture 18* driving iron. Exactly what I'm looking for check out the reviews.

Yep that's what I ordered today. I'm a Ping guy too but actually went into the store thinking I wouldn't like it. Boy was I wrong. Go try one. You'll love it.

It depends on the use honestly but I'm a big fan of Titleist 2 irons and Nike has a couple from past iron releases that are spectacular. The Hogan is the toughest to hit out of all of them but produces some great shots if you can hit the dime all the time.

Good to hear you found the driving iron for you azfarrier! The only utility irons I've hit are the Adams DHy, which I didn't really get along with, and the Mizuno MP-H4, which I got along with nicely. However I really get along famously with my Mashie 2 hybrid, so I have no reason to change. Regarding long irons in general though, I may very well go back to carrying a 4 iron if I decide to go for Callaway Apexes at some point, because boy was I crushing that sucker in the simulator yesterday. I have a 4 iron for my Adams CMB's, but it's not very easy to hit. It's a great wind club though.

Back