2013 Hasn't Been So Bad For My Golf

will_i_dream

Reaction score
Handicap
CONGU 8.4
So far 2013 has been a stand out year for me golf-wise.
I turned 40 in August, this is my fourth year with a course membership and second year of playing with an official handicap.
I managed to get my handicap down to 9.4 this year, in the single figures for the first time. I know I can get lower.
I have noticed a lot more birdies this year, good sign that my game is continuing to improve.

Today I scored my first ever eagle, I'm so happy, took me a couple of holes for it to sink in.
Par 5, 9th hole on the Medal course at Monifieth. Driver off the tee, sliced a little off the right hand side of the fairway. Had a nice lie so pulled out the 3w, drilled it back into the middle of the fairway, carrying the dip and sitting at the top of the ridge. Leaving myself 140yds to the front, pin on about 5 yards. Ball a little below my feet I hit a lovely 7i into the wind, landed on the green, one bounce rolled out and into the hole, maybe rattled the pin a little.
The club hit the deck, my hands reached for the stars and I may have performed a little dance ha ha

Wow congrats on the eagle, and the great year. Im still chasing the elusive eagle. Sounds like you have been really enjoying it.

Congrats! I was so close to my first eagle a couple times this year. Actually had two of them lip out. Overall my season wasn't quite what I had hoped but there's always next year. Glad you made the most of yours.

Thank you guys. I have missed umpteen eagle putts over the last 4 years, anything from 20ft plus to far too many 18in putts that would normally be a gimme.
I am sure those similar putts in the future will now be a breeze, more eagles to follow.

Its just a matter of time for you guys too!

Congrats on the eagle w_i_d, first one and on a par 4 at that. I only have one on a par 4 out of all of mine, well done.

Thank you guys. I have missed umpteen eagle putts over the last 4 years, anything from 20ft plus to far too many 18in putts that would normally be a gimme.
I am sure those similar putts in the future will now be a breeze, more eagles to follow.

Its just a matter of time for you guys too!

your getting the shots at it, keep it up!!! your improving your hitting, your next level is improving the mental/stress side of the game...for me, i had to play in more stroke play tournaments where it is me against the field, to get the stress out of normal rounds, which then in turn made me a better player in stroke play tournaments...

I could not believe the stress of my first 9 holes of our club championship...shot a horrid round, only to come back the next day and tie my personal best...

the more you put yourself in those higher "stress" situations, the more you will see that handicap shrink, and your total mental game carry you when you swing is not there some days...I used to fight a fade or hook, on the course, and now I know to just not worry, and swing the swing I have that day...

best wishes!!!

Thanks Dawg but it was on a par 5, felt good sinking it from 140+
The 8th is a drive-able par 4 which is where I thought I had my best chance of getting my first ever eagle.

MTdream, thanks for the encouragement, I potentially could have been as low as 8.7 this year, if the weather hadn't scared me off putting a card in.
I haven't entered any club competitions yet, I want to make sure I have a very good grasp of the rules before I go down that route. At the moment its just me and my head versus the course and the conditions.

Best wishes to you in future competitions

Wow Will...great stuff. I have just installed you as favourite for the UK Summer Cup!

A word to the wise though...Do NOT be the overnight leader. That lucky person gets a few (well, too many) Sambucas to even up the odds:devil:

Glad you've been enjoying it! Year isn't over though. Keep it up! :)

Thanks Dawg but it was on a par 5, felt good sinking it from 140+
The 8th is a drive-able par 4 which is where I thought I had my best chance of getting my first ever eagle.

MTdream, thanks for the encouragement, I potentially could have been as low as 8.7 this year, if the weather hadn't scared me off putting a card in.
I haven't entered any club competitions yet, I want to make sure I have a very good grasp of the rules before I go down that route. At the moment its just me and my head versus the course and the conditions.

Best wishes to you in future competitions

How much longer can you play without being miserable?

in Montana we have about another month, then the occasional day or two for three months of heavy winter...and if you love golf you can play almost every month (a day or two maybe)

I believe I can continue through October to submit scores for my handicap. If the winter is anything like last year I should still be able to get out most weekends. There was only a couple of times where the course was closed due to snow. We use mats on the fairway and we were lucky to have the greens in play for nearly all of the winter. I think it maybe moved to winter greens on one occasion, but I wasn't playing when that happened. Obviously this doesn't include any treatment or 'tining' works.

Back