2015 Wilson Staff Tour For THPers - Staff Proto

Putting 36 holes on these Proto's tomorrow. Really hoping to nail down the yardages.

You should be ashamed of yourself for not filling out the last foursome at Whiskey Creek on Sunday :blob:

No sense staying home to watch the Colts...they're no good anyway. Plus this dude I follow on Twitter keeps yelling about the need to fire Pagano :banana:

Pretty solid that you can pull your scoring irons from 180+.

Glad I used my laser on every approach shot otherwise I would have never believed it myself. the 150yd markers are a good measure, but having the exact distances really do help sometimes.

Have to practice a bit more to get a better feeling of the typical yardages, it seems a little bunched up for me right now between 8i and 5i. I didn't even pull the 7i out yesterday.

You should be ashamed of yourself for not filling out the last foursome at Whiskey Creek on Sunday :blob:

No sense staying home to watch the Colts...they're no good anyway. Plus this dude I follow on Twitter keeps yelling about the need to fire Pagano :banana:

We have a member-member at the country club, so I am playing in that. With that said, I will be done by 12:45 Sunday to watch the Colts! HAHA!

Putting 36 holes on these Proto's tomorrow. Really hoping to nail down the yardages.

wow...36 hole marathon, awesome. Let us know how many flag-sticks you hit! :snicker:

Amazingly the 4i continues to prove a solid option for me off the tee. Between 175-180 yards on average with it, and dead straight. Hit 3/7 FIR today and 2 of them were with the 4i. On a 315 yard par 4 went 4i, 8i for a GIR (before lipping out the putt for par *doh*). Solid irons, all around.
Were you carrying a 4 iron before? If not speaks volumes for these irons to be able to come into the bag like that!

Were you carrying a 4 iron before? If not speaks volumes for these irons to be able to come into the bag like that!
No I wasn't. Before this, the longest iron in my bag was a 7i!

There's been a good deal of discussion about length and straight balls. What about feel? Turf interaction? How is the finish on the clubs holding up? Are the distances you guys are seeing very consistent or do you see occasional flyers? Are you seeing the same distance gains in the long irons as you see in the shorter irons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd say that speaks quite a bit about the forgiveness of these things!

Interesting. I cannot hit irons below my 7 that well at all. Were you in a similar situation? Now you can hit down to a 4 iron consistently?

2015 Wilson Staff Tour For THPers - Staff Proto

There's been a good deal of discussion about length and straight balls. What about feel? Turf interaction? How is the finish on the clubs holding up? Are the distances you guys are seeing very consistent or do you see occasional flyers? Are you seeing the same distance gains in the long irons as you see in the shorter irons?

The irons are top notch quality wise. Mine have six rounds on them now and they are still in great shape. The really shiny chrome (or something shiny) on the toe has a scrape on a few from range balls but I don't mind.

Turf interaction is better than my G25s. Far fewer fat shots and chipping is a joy with they.

I have had most of my distance gains go away, although they are still 5 or so yards longer than my old set. This was on purpose though, I can make a more relaxed swing and the ball is much more controlled. My scoring average at my home course was a 92 over the last year but I have been below 90 every round since the switch (average 87).

Who wouldn't want to be able to be more controlled and still hit the right yardages?!

I can touch a little... I have 3 rounds on my Proto's and will be able to touch alot more on it tomorrow evening.

Feel -> I previously played CB3s and I thought they felt amazing. The Protos feel as good as them. You get the necessary feedback needed when you hit a ball on the toe or heel. It still feels like crap if you hit the hosel.
Turf Interaction -> Great... REALLY good. I prefer the turf interaction to anything I have gamed. I do not know if this is due to me finally being fit for irons or not. They do well off of a tight lie, in the rough or dead smack in the fairway.
Finish -> As I said, I only have a few rounds, so I cannot speak much on this. They still look new.
Distance -> They are about 5-7 yards longer than my CB3s, but nothing crazy. With that said, 5 yards is not easy to adjust to when you are so used to pulling an exact iron from 150 yards. I would call them 1/2 club or so difference. It is progressive throughout the set as well. As far as flyers go... that was my biggest complaint with my previously owned Wilson Staff Ci11's. I would catch that occasional flyer that went 10 yards further than I expected. After two rounds, I have not caught a huge flyer.

After three rounds, I can say, they are forgiving, get the ball up in the air quick and feel great.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses, Molten and Sanzabar. Good stuff.

Last edited:
Interesting. I cannot hit irons below my 7 that well at all. Were you in a similar situation? Now you can hit down to a 4 iron consistently?
Yeah, I was very uncomfortable with anything longer than a 7i. I was working on getting the 6i back into the bag, and the prototypes helped with that transition*. For me, the 4i is ONLY an option off the tee. I have not pulled it for a shot off the deck. However I have yet to miss the fairway with the five or so tee shots I've taken with it in the roughly 27 holes I've gamed them since I got back.

*An errant tee shot today on #1 put me about 170 yards out from the pin today and in the adjacent driving range. Needed to get over a line of trees to have a shot at the green. Pulled the 6i and hit a nice arcing shot that went over the trees, landed, and rolled into the greenside bunker about 160 yards from where I was standing. Got up and down for par. I could never have pulled off that shot with my 588 MTs ... I would have drilled it right into the tree line.

I've only got one round. My next round is gonna be smashing my computer monitors at work because they are dogging me here so I haven't had much time to keep on hitting them. I'll get s second round Saturday with them. I'll give a review then on my impression. It will be at the course I play almost every weekend too so I'll have a really good idea.

Yeah, I was very uncomfortable with anything longer than a 7i. I was working on getting the 6i back into the bag, and the prototypes helped with that transition*. For me, the 4i is ONLY an option off the tee. I have not pulled it for a shot off the deck. However I have yet to miss the fairway with the five or so tee shots I've taken with it in the roughly 27 holes I've gamed them since I got back.

*An errant tee shot today on #1 put me about 170 yards out from the pin today and in the adjacent driving range. Needed to get over a line of trees to have a shot at the green. Pulled the 6i and hit a nice arcing shot that went over the trees, landed, and rolled into the greenside bunker about 160 yards from where I was standing. Got up and down for par. I could never have pulled off that shot with my 588 MTs ... I would have drilled it right into the tree line.
That's awesome! These are going into my solid ponder list for next year. :D

re: turf interaction - I know that a lot of people who have played the D200s commented on how great turf interaction was with those irons, has anyone who's played the protos and played the D200s comment on differences/similarities between the two?

Feel is the best part of these irons for me along with the easy height I achieve with them.

I played 36 today... I won't go too much into detail cause I'm saving a lot for my review.

I was +1 on the par 3s. All pars and one bogey. Did not miss a green on any par 3!!! Hit these things beautifully today.

I played 36 today... I won't go too much into detail cause I'm saving a lot for my review.

I was +1 on the par 3s. All pars and one bogey. Did not miss a green on any par 3!!! Hit these things beautifully today.

Four pitching wedges?

Really want to hear more about these - I hope I can try some of the Ohio guys' sets sometime soon!

Thanks to Molten and JohnSinVA for letting me take some swings with the photos.

I hit a good dozen or so with JohnSinVA bit his specs are almost completly different than mine so I odmt get a true fit for them. Still hit some nice high fades (they are bent flat).

Molten was was running a hit late due to a massive detour from the Marine Corp Marathon. So I onky got to hot about 3 or four rushed shots with his.

I can tell you these launch high and go far. Gee you haven't read that before have you. I really love the KBS 90 shaft in these. If I end up with these next year, I'm pretty sure this will be my shaft as well.

These will get a strong look for sure

The boys were talking a lot of great things coming from W/S for 2016. I'm certainly going to be following closely as we approach the new golfing season.

Got to swing these today and watch Molten play a solid found with them.

high launch and didn't see one ball have issues in the wind.

Excited to see what comes from w/s in 2016.

Man I would love it if Wilson Staff had a larger presence up here. Definitely something to look forward to!

Back