2016 Hyundai Tournament of Champions Thread (Spoilers)

arydolphin

GTHC!
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm always excited to see the PGA Tour go to Kapalua every year for the Tournament of Champions, but I'm even more excited than normal this year. In the past few years, the event lost some of its luster when Tiger and Phil would skip it every year along with some of the other stars, but that's not the case this year. For the first time since 2005, the #1 and #2 players in the world are in the field: Jordan Spieth and Jason Day. This event also has 6 of the top 10 players in the world: Spieth, Day, Bubba Watson, Dustin Johnson, Fowler, Reed. Plus throw in young guns like Brooks Koepka and Justin Thomas in the field, along with multiple guys playing their first event with their new equipment contracts, and there are a lot of storylines this week.

Also after a few years of this event going Friday-Monday, it's back to the traditional Thursday-Sunday format. Primetime golf is always fun to watch for those of us on the East Coast. Throw in one of the best courses that is played all year (I'm a sucker for Coore and Crenshaw designs) and I'm all in on this week. Can I wish for a Spieth-Day showdown on Sunday like Tiger-Els back in 2000?

I'm looking forward to prime time golf. I know for me the season doesn't seem to kick off until the Farmers, but it's good to see golf back on tv

For me this starts the PGA Tour season, I know it's already begun, but now it feels like it's finally here, and it's so much fun to watch Hawaii golf, always looks nothing like around here!!

Played the Kapalua Bay course a long time ago, pretty great spot to play a round.

I love this tournament simply because it has a field full of winners. As long as the tradewinds stay below 700 mph, it should be a great event!

I'm stoked to watch some golf again (at least "new" golf since I have watched some of the replays of the majors on Golf Channel over the past couple weeks). My wife will be less excited. :angel:

The field should make this a fun one to watch and who doesn't love Hawaii golf?!?!

Yay Golf! Maybe now golf channel can stop filling Tim with "The Squeeze". It's always fun to see how far these guys hit it down hill with a tail wind.

I like seein Spieth and Day on the field. Woukd have been awesome if Rory made the trip.

The strength of the field has me more interested than normal in watching, but this is a tournament and course I love regardless of the field. I'll be tuned in for sure.

First round tee times are now released. All times are LOCAL, so add 5 hours to get Eastern time.

One other note: only first round pairings are available. The pairings will be reset before every round after the first round.

10:20 a.m.: Smylie Kaufman, Peter Malnati

10:30 a.m.: Graeme McDowell, Emiliano Grillo

10:40 a.m.: J.J. Henry, Padraig Harrington

10:50 a.m.: Davis Love III, Matt Every

11:00 a.m.: Fabian Gomez, Alex Cejka

11:10 a.m.: James Hahn, Troy Merritt

11:20 a.m.: David Lingmerth, Chris Kirk

11:30 a.m.: Justin Thomas, Russell Knox

11:40 a.m.: Brooks Koepka, Bill Haas

11:50 a.m.: Scott Piercy, Brandt Snedeker

12:00 p.m.: Steven Bowditch, Kevin Kisner

12:10 p.m.: J.B. Holmes, Jimmy Walker

12:20 p.m.: Dustin Johnson, Danny Lee

12:30 p.m.: Bubba Watson, Zach Johnson

12:40 p.m.: Jason Day, Rickie Fowler

12:50 p.m.: Jordan Spieth, Patrick Reed

im really excited for the last 4 groups.

These tournaments in Hawaii bore me to death. Same with Pebble Beach (I know, I must be crazy). For me, the season doesn't start until Riviera...

I enjoy watching this event, the Sony not so much. 2 more days til golf is back on!

Day, Fowler, Spieth, Bubba, DJ.

Yep, I'll be watching. Especially if one of the above is in contention on Sunday.

Love the Tournament of Champions. Not a bad place to have a working vacation if you ask me

Who's everyone taking to win the first tournament of 2016? I'd like to see Day or Spieth take it but the field is so strong.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

This is definitely the start of the season for me. Like others have said I really enjoy the course and I love the setup of the tournament regarding the field.

Spieth is a smart choice. He's been there for a while, contented there the only other time he has played, and isn't changing his equipment from last year. However, I think DJ will edge him out this week. No reason.

I'd like to see Day start with a bang this year, but DJ or Bubba may edge him out

Excited to watch this event, love the 18th hole where the guys hit it over 400 yards. I'm not super interested in anybody before the 11:30AM (local) tee time. Will be nice to go home and watch live golf all night after work though. Looks like coverage is from 6-10PM eastern on Thurs/Fri and 4-8PM eastern on the weekend.

This is one of my favorites, probably because of the holiday break, but i like the timing of the tv coverage (after work), the champions field nature of the event, and let's be honest, the golf course is pretty nice to look at... Curious to see who starts the new year out with a W.

I'm guessing one of the players with less name recognition w/ the general public wins this week.

Kisner, Merritt, etc...

Harrington seems to start out the seasons strong, so I wouldn't count him out as a dark horse.

Really looking forward to this as well. Watching in primetime is the best, especially since this is a limited field event, so you get to see everyone.

I read that Jason Day had only played once for only four holes in the last three months. I'll be curious to see how he starts.

I love those last 5 groups! It will be interesting to see how much PXG is in play. Also funny for ZJ and Bubba to play together, talk about opposites!

I got Rickie for the win.

Reed tends to start the season off strong. He's my pick for the weekend.

Im hoping Rickie and he usually plays well here. Day, Koepka and Mcdowell are others I'm pulling for. Reed or Walker wouldn't be a surprise.

Back