2017 Callaway Driver - The Hype has me hooked!!!

sandiegonative

Reaction score
Handicap
Have you guys been keeping up with all the "hype" for the new 2017 Callaway Driver?

This upcoming release is suppose to replace the Great Big Bertha (GBB) and Big Bertha Alpha 816 Double Black Diamond (DBD) Driver. With how Callaway Golf has improved on drivers since the reintroduction of Big Bertha in 2014, I'm beyond excited to see what will be in this new driver.

Podcasts:
1. Life On The Pirate Ship EP. 26 – Callaway Head of R&D Dr. Alan Hocknell
- Alan Hocknell was asked to rate the new driver from 1-10. He said it was an "11 out of 10".
- Harry Arnett said after the launch Callaway Golf will be know as the "leader in driver performance and innovation".

2. Life On The Pirate Ship EP. 27 – Callaway SVP of Sales Glenn Hickey
- Mr. Glenn Hickey said, "Every meeting has a different theme... The theme of this meeting is that new driver. It's by far the best driver we have ever launched."

3. Sean Toulon tweeted the following:

Potential Features from current drivers:
- Optifit Hosel
- Triaxial Carbon Fiber
- Titanium Exo-Cage
- R-MOTO Face (3rd edition)
- Gravity Core
- Sliding Weight

What are you guys hoping to see in Callaway's next driver?

I want more distance and more forgiveness all around the face

I know it has nothing to do with performance, but I prefer a gloss finish over the matte finish. IMO, proof is plain to see. Look how good the XR Sub-Zero and DBD look compared to the XR16 and GBB.

Is it January/February 2017 yet?

It is exciting, but theres no way i replace my 816 DBD. That thing is a tank for me

44.5" option. Like the Fusion.

I had listened to one of those episodes this morning and it got me pretty pumped up for this next release. I couldn't get their last releases to click for my swing, hopefully this will work for me.

This upcoming release is suppose to replace the Great Big Bertha (GBB) and Big Bertha Alpha 816 Double Black Diamond (DBD) Driver. With how Callaway Golf has improved on drivers since the reintroduction of Big Bertha in 2014, I'm beyond excited to see what will be in this new driver.
Everyone is different but the '16 GBB and 816 DBD perform significantly different for me. One of them sits solidly in the top 3 of the 55 drivers I've put through extensive testing and the other slots mid pack. Is there going to be more than one club released or one driver that blends in between the two? Interested to see, not sure what to think until I get to hit it?

I know it has nothing to do with performance, but I prefer a gloss finish over the matte finish. IMO, proof is plain to see. Look how good the XR Sub-Zero and DBD look compared to the XR16 and GBB.

Is it January/February 2017 yet?

I also prefer the gloss finish on my XR 16 Sub Zero. But I think I'm more of a traditional guy when it comes to the cosmetics of my golf clubs.

Definitely excited to see what is coming out.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Awe man! And I just bought the Fusion!!!

It is exciting, but theres no way i replace my 816 DBD. That thing is a tank for me

What was your driver before the 816 DBD? Were you singing the same tune back then?

Never say never :act-up:

I will want to check out whatever they bring out as I have been very impressed with their drivers since the X Hot.

Personally, I prefer the matte finish but I think that is something unique to each individual.

Everyone is different but the '16 GBB and 816 DBD perform significantly different for me. One of them sits solidly in the top 3 of the 55 drivers I've put through extensive testing and the other slots mid pack. Is there going to be more than one club released or one driver that blends in between the two? Interested to see, not sure what to think until I get to hit it?

Care to elaborate on "significantly different"?

For me, both the GBB and 816 DBD drivers came out during a time when my swing sucked (hook city if you know what I mean). To this day, I have not demoed either driver with my post-swing changes golf swing. With that said, the GBB Driver was always draw-biased for me and never an option even with the weight all the way to the fade position. I still would like to give the 16 DBD a swing, but I prefer a full 460cc head.

I want more distance and more forgiveness all around the face
I'd take a driver that could fix my swing too, but I'll take more distance and forgiveness!

I will want to check out whatever they bring out as I have been very impressed with their drivers since the X Hot.

Personally, I prefer the matte finish but I think that is something unique to each individual.
The XHot in 2013 was really what for me signified a change in direction (for the better) with the company. I believe that was the first release for the current few of Harry and Chad and group. But I could be wrong.

But they have been hitting home runs since then.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Definitely excited to see what they come out with. December is going to be fun.

I want this driver NOW hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The XHot in 2013 was really what for me signified a change in direction (for the better) with the company. I believe that was the first release for the current few of Harry and Chad and group. But I could be wrong.

But they have been hitting home runs since then.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

The X Hot is 1 of 2 clubs I have held onto over the years, I hit that fantastically and often think about throwing it back in the bag. I have hit almost every release since (Except the V Series and original XR) and all have been very good.

Definitely excited to see what they come out with. December is going to be fun.

You said it bro. Big time

Maybe it's just but I took a few swings with the Fusion today at Golf Galaxy in Dallas and while I hit it well, that head shape is a no go. But if there is something else coming that resembles my GBB in terms of looks, I might just be interested.

Maybe it's just but I took a few swings with the Fusion today at Golf Galaxy in Dallas and while I hit it well, that head shape is a no go. But if there is something else coming that resembles my GBB in terms of looks, I might just be interested.

That's too bad, but yes you are in luck. I expect the new Callaway driver to be a traditional shape full of technology

How so? Because I don't like the looks?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, too bad as in you "hit it well" but you don't care for the head shape (i.e. Not the driver for you despite the good results). I believe liking how your driver looks is an important factor.

I'm stoked for anything Callaway that is coming out. I was a big TM homer and the Callaway line flat out performs and has continued to impress me year after year

Back