2019 Grandaddy of em All Event with Callaway Golf

I, too, did not bring my best swing but I could not be happier with what I ended up with. Keep in mind the full swing fitting is done in no more than an hour - that's driver, fairways woods, hybrids and irons and deciding how you want to configure your bag from top to bottom - but you will be working with some of the best fitters in the business!

personally, an hour is plenty. i've been futzing around with gear long enough to know when something works and when it doesn't. 2 swings, 3 tops and i know. if i had to rank the areas of full swing importance to me it's irons -> driver -> hybrid -> wedges -> fairway wood. i am so freaking pumped for that experience!

personally, an hour is plenty. i've been futzing around with gear long enough to know when something works and when it doesn't. 2 swings, 3 tops and i know. if i had to rank the areas of full swing importance to me it's irons -> driver -> hybrid -> wedges -> fairway wood. i am so freaking pumped for that experience!

An hour may be too much for my back to take. Had an hour long driver fitting late last Winter/early Spring and by the time it was done I was a hurting unit. I will have to focus on maximizing my swings.

2019 Grandaddy of em All Event with Callaway Golf

So we’ve all been collectively chatting about potential setups we “think” we could be fit in. Expectation vs reality 6 months from now is sure to range from slight to wild variations.

It has led us down the rabbit hole on everything from theoreticals based on trademark speculation to existing stock clubs and shafts and everything in between.

How about we just share our theoretical spec outs now and see how far we are off in December. Closest one gets the last breakfast slider.

Open question to all, current team, past participants, and observers included. In your experience, what Callaway club stood out to you the most? I know the current offerings are technologically better than their predecessors. But, was there a club released in the past that just blew the doors off the competition in your eyes? Something that spoke to you and just fit your game immediately?

For me, I think the first driver that they released with a classic hosel was one of the best drivers I had ever gamed. The good old FT Tour. Man, I loved the sound, the feel, the ball flight. Too many seam failures was an issue and I moved on from it. But, I dare say that I haven't found a driver that fit my game that well since. The EF SZ is closest just based on shape and size. But, it falls short in that sweet sweet composite feeling goodness.

The trademark rabbit hole is always fun to look at. You see some names that are head scratchers and others that immediately get your interest.

I would imagine we see some "not ready for prime time" stuff in R&D and I am guessing we will see some stuff that will be released at the PGA show if recent years hold true. I'm most interested to see how they continue the flash face tech into their woods and what the next Odyssey brain child looks like.

If I had to build a bag right now, it would be similar to what's in my signature, with the exception of wanting to hit the Epic Forged irons. Those intrigue me the most so far.

Open question to all, current team, past participants, and observers included. In your experience, what Callaway club stood out to you the most? I know the current offerings are technologically better than their predecessors. But, was there a club released in the past that just blew the doors off the competition in your eyes? Something that spoke to you and just fit your game immediately?

For me, I think the first driver that they released with a classic hosel was one of the best drivers I had ever gamed. The good old FT Tour. Man, I loved the sound, the feel, the ball flight. Too many seam failures was an issue and I moved on from it. But, I dare say that I haven't found a driver that fit my game that well since. The EF SZ is closest just based on shape and size. But, it falls short in that sweet sweet composite feeling goodness.
Big Bertha hybrids for me. So easy to hit them so well.

How about we just share our theoretical spec outs now and see how far we are off in December. Closest one gets the last breakfast slider.

driver: epic flash 10.5, stock project x even flow green. i've hit it, and it's awesome. i'd love to get fit into some exotic, super expensive shaft, but with my swing and delivery, stock seems to usually be the best.

fw: epic flash sz 5w, project x evenflow blue. although i'm a low spin guy, i do tend to miss lower on the face and i remember @kev and @armygolf both saying their fitters put them into this head because of that miss.

h: epic flash 4h, catalyst 80. i want my hybrid to be easy to hit, and launch high. it's very rare that i would ever pull a hybrid and try to hit it low.

i: apex 19 combo 5-aw, smoke finish, true temper elevate tour stiff, 0.5* flat. i love my apex 19 standard, but here's an opportunity to get some truly stunning sticks for when the swing is in a decent spot.

w: md (maybe forged?) 56 s grind and 60 x-grind, true temper dynamic gold s300, 1* flat. struggled with the callaway wedges i bought this year, and benched both. instead i'm exclusively using a 56 with a very classic sole design.

p: stroke lab tuttle 33.5 with jumbo grip, double bend neck. and if we are given the opportunity for a toulon as well, probably stroke lab atlanta, slant neck. but honestly i'm so ignorant about putters and what works the best for me, this one is a big wild card unknown.

b: chromesoft x with triple track. two best scores of the year came with the erc soft, but i'm not 100% sold on it yet. something tells me the fitter will see me hit a 7i that doesn't spin more than 5k rpm and give me the spinniest ball he can find.

yes, i'm aware that's only 13 clubs, but honestly i don't know what else i would want. maybe an apex 5h for when i need the 200-210y shot, but i'm not confident in the 5i?

Last edited:
driver: epic flash 10.5, stock project x even flow green. i've hit it, and it's awesome. i'd love to get fit into some exotic, super expensive shaft, but with my swing and delivery, stock seems to usually be the best.

fw: epic flash sz 5w, project x evenflow blue. although i'm a low spin guy, i do tend to miss lower on the face and i remember @kev and @armygolf both saying their fitters put them into this head because of that miss.

h: epic flash 4h, catalyst 80. i want my hybrid to be easy to hit, and launch high. it's very rare that i would ever pull a hybrid and try to hit it low.

i: apex 19 combo 5-aw, smoke finish, true temper elevate tour stiff. i love my apex 19 standard, but here's an opportunity to get some truly stunning sticks for when the swing is in a decent spot.

w: md (maybe forged?) 56 s grind and 60 x-grind, true temper dynamic gold s300. struggled with the callaway wedges i bought this year, and benched both. instead i'm exclusively using a 56 with a very classic sole design.

b: chromesoft x with triple track. two best scores of the year came with the erc soft, but i'm not 100% sold on it yet. something tells me the fitter will see me hit a 7i that doesn't spin more than 5k rpm and give me the spinniest ball he can find.

yes, i'm aware that's only 13 clubs, but honestly i don't know what else i would want. maybe an apex 5h for when i need the 200-210y shot, but i'm not confident in the 5i?

Need a putter!

I went on to their site and configured my Callaway “Dream Bag” This is what I came up with. All clubs with the NDMC Align Grips. Came out to a cool $3554 before tax.

Driver: Epic Flash SZ 9 degree with HZRDUS T1100 6.5 45”
This actually matches similarly to my current setup.

3 Wood: Epic Flash SZ 15 degree with Evenflow Black 6.5 43”
It’s exactly what I play now. I love it and wouldn’t change a thing at this point.

Driving Iron Slot: Epic Forged 4 iron with PX LZ 6.5. Don’t know if I would change length or lie on it.
I can’t actually add it to my cart, but I would wait for it.

Irons: Apex Pro Smoke 4-PW 2 degrees up +.5” with PX LZ 6.5

Wedges: MD4 52 S, 56 S, and 60 C grind. PX LZ 6.5 1 degree up and .5” long

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas H7 Stroke Lab. 35” long with the stock Stroke Lab grip

Ball: Just sticking with regular old Chrome Soft. Although, I am starting to get used to Truvis.

Need a putter!

He just planned on the wedges being so good he’d just hole out most of the way. Worst case miss by a foot and put with hybrid.

He just planned on the wedges being so good he’d just hole out most of the way. Worst case miss by a foot and put with hybrid.

or maybe i'm just VERY generous with my gimmes lol

So we’ve all been collectively chatting about potential setups we “think” we could be fit in. Expectation vs reality 6 months from now is sure to range from slight to wild variations.

Driver= Epic Flash 10.5 Tensei Blue regular flex, cut down to 44 1/2 (would love and Attas Cool driver shaft)
Fairways= Epic Flash in 3/5/7 UST Proforce VTS 6 Silver in regular flex or Diamana Red M+ 60
Irons= Epic Forged 5-AW Tensei AV in regular flex
Wedges= MD4 or maybe something new 50/54/58 with KBS High Rev
Putter= Las Vegas Stroke Lab I like blades but would love to try this one.
Ball= Chrome Soft X TT

I could easily be happy with what ever they put me into. Would be easy to take out Epic irons and put in Apex 19 with Recoils.
I do well with stock shaft offerings, just a matter of the right flex.

I’m really curious to see what is coming in the woods category. I have never truly gotten along with a Callaway driver, but being fit by the best in the business and having their expertise should prove to be eye opening.

Irons wise, I’m really thrilled with my apex combos, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t totally intrigued by the epic forged said. Not sure about the gapping with the top of the bag and how to transition well into wedges, but I’m excited nonetheless.

If the whispers ( and pic ) of the MD forged are indeed coming our way, that should be nice icing on the cake. I’d love to see a CBX-esque offering, though.

Putter will be cool bc I’ve never been fit for one. I love my Exo Marxman, but I prefer a blade shape. Maybe the toulon Chicago will make an appearance.

Will be interested to see if there is a new ball release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver= Epic Flash 10.5 Tensei Blue regular flex, cut down to 44 1/2 (would love and Attas Cool driver shaft)
Fairways= Epic Flash in 3/5/7 UST Proforce VTS 6 Silver in regular flex or Diamana Red M+ 60
Ball= Chrome Soft X TT

I could easily be happy with what ever they put me into. Would be easy to take out Epic irons and put in Apex 19 with Recoils.

so you would play the set aw and a specialty 50*?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Love the wish lists boys...got me over here like
ccfe83fe9319a9f5edc5466bc9dc1895.jpg

Oh yea I love this game! I’m gonna throw some of the trademarked names i saw just for fun.

Driver: Epic Fusion 9* with a HZRDUS Black stiff shaft

Fw: Epic Fusion 13.5* 3-wood with a Project X Even Flow X-flex shaft

Epic Fusion 19* 5-wood with a Project X Even Flow x-flex shaft

4-Iron: Epic Forged with graphite shaft

Irons: 5-PW: Epic X pro Irons with C-Taper Lite 115 X flex

Wedges: 50, 54, 58 all with W-grind. S400 shafts.

Putter: Stroke Lab V-Line 34” Traxion grip.

so you would play the set aw and a specialty 50*?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Set AW if I went with Epic, 50* MD4 if I had Apex. Or drop the AW in the Epic and go 4 MD4 wedges!!!! I like that idea better. :D

Question for Team THP members:

What are you currently working on, during your practice/play, to improve on before the event?

Ball= Chrome Soft X TT

Could also go w/ graphite in the wedges. Don’t forget, anything is on the table! Big weight difference between that Tensei and the Hi-rev.

What are you currently working on, during your practice/play, to improve on before the event?
If there is anything specific that I'm working on, it's just being more consistent. But, that's even without the grandaddy on the horizon. I'm probably taking my game and improvement a little more seriously this year, but I'm not preparing like it's a big tournament or anything.

There is one part of my game that I'm trying to sharpen for the event. But, it's not really for the competition aspect. I'm trying to rely less and less on my 60 degree wedge outside of 50 yards. I really want to see if the PM grind wedge can find a place in my bag. Based on my game in years past and the very first version, it wasn't a good match. The issue was 3/4 and full shots. Could not overcome the shape and hit it like crap. Around the green it was superb. But, I'm getting a lot better at using my 56 or even my 52 from that 50-75 yard range to bring the ball in lower.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Concentrating on good alignment, more effort/practice on putting.

Could also go w/ graphite in the wedges. Don’t forget, anything is on the table! Big weight difference between that Tensei and the Hi-rev.

I play steel in my wedges now, (Recoils in my irons). I do like the heavier weight in my wedges but wouldn't mind graphite there also. So many great choices.

For me, it’s working on mechanics and getting back to basics. Which means I might take a lesson at some point in the next month. Just really want to have a sound swing and make sure as the year goes on, I don’t develop any bad habits and I go into a full bag fitting with a swing I’m happy with.

Once we get past mid-October, it’s really about playing as many rounds as possible (for me, that probably means 2x per week). Then I’ll be working on striking the ball first with the irons and wedges along with good hip rotation.

I took a run through the site again and I'm not a shaft guru, but I know I play X now for spin/transition reasons and on the trend down probably back to stiff perhaps. There are just so many options to make your head spin, it will make it all the more easier to just run with whatever the fitter/data shows.

Driver
Epic Flash SZ 9 Deg. Diamana D+70 X
Why, because I got fit in this for the original epic but never pulled the trigger.

3w
Epic Flash SZ Diamana D+70 white X

3h
Epix Flash EvenFlow Black 85 x

Irons
Flash Forged 4-PW or Apex Forged - shaft TBD
Honestly. Not sure at all here. I did more research and I'm more confused then when I started. I could use a bit more distance in my irons and these look like they'd be at least a club longer, but not sure if that translates to a better option for me. Should be interesting. Playing dg x100 now.

Wedges
MD4 w grind aw, sw
PM grind. LW

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back