2019 Grandaddy of em All Event with Callaway Golf

I took a run through the site again and I'm not a shaft guru, but I know I play X now for spin/transition reasons and on the trend down probably back to stiff perhaps. There are just so many options to make your head spin, it will make it all the more easier to just run with whatever the fitter/data shows.

Driver
Epic Flash SZ 9 Deg. Diamana D+70 X
Why, because I got fit in this for the original epic but never pulled the trigger.

3w
Epic Flash SZ Diamana D+70 white X

3h
Epix Flash EvenFlow Black 85 x

Irons
Flash Forged 4-PW or Apex Forged - shaft TBD
Honestly. Not sure at all here. I did more research and I'm more confused then when I started. I could use a bit more distance in my irons and these look like they'd be at least a club longer, but not sure if that translates to a better option for me. Should be interesting. Playing dg x100 now.

Wedges
MD4 w grind aw, sw
PM grind. LW

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My advice is to know a shaft brand/manufacturer you like and let the fitter know. They can match that profile with what’s available and you’ll be happy you let them do the heavy thinking.

Show up, take a few cuts, fit to your miss and know what well struck shots look like and you’ll be fine.

The fitting can lend itself to overthinking, but if you have a decent idea what you want they can get you there. A little homework goes a long way

My advice is to know a shaft brand/manufacturer you like and let the fitter know. They can match that profile with what’s available and you’ll be happy you let them do the heavy thinking.

Show up, take a few cuts, fit to your miss and know what well struck shots look like and you’ll be fine.

The fitting can lend itself to overthinking, but if you have a decent idea what you want they can get you there. A little homework goes a long way

Solid advice from the ass cap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is great advice, for me I really like Recoils so hopefully I can go down that road.

Question for Team THP members:

What are you currently working on, during your practice/play, to improve on before the event?

great question!

as far as the game itself, i'm working on consistency. i found out in my gapping analysis this past weekend that my alignment was getting off. the fitter said i would set up great, then start to shift my feet more and more left until i started my swing. so i'm going to work on alignment! chipping and pitching are a big deficiency for me, so i'll continue working on those, and i'll try to set up some lessons in the near future because it's been a problem for YEARS and no matter what i do, i can't fix it on my own.

but i'll say that fixing my game is not a big priority for me. it is what it is. my biggest priorities are keeping my emotions and attitude in check so that i can still have fun in the face of bad golf. i'm borderline euphoric when i'm playing well, and borderline depressed when i play poorly. that's ridiculous, and could hold me back from fully enjoying the event.

my biggest priorities are getting comfortable with forum participation during golf. staying present with my playing partners, while still engaging the forum. most of my golf is played at slow times on the course, which means i don't have a ton of time to update between shots. but if i find myself on a busier day, i want to practice taking pics, giphs, etc so it's more second-nature come december.

question for previous grandaddy participants.

a lot of us are focusing on sharpening up our games, and forum interaction. i'm curious to hear how your bodies held up physically during the event. there's a fitting on day 1, 27 holes on day 2, and 18 holes on day 3. that's a lot more golf swings than i usually make in a 72-hour period. did you find that you were physically exhausted? any tips on keeping energy levels up?

a lot of us are focusing on sharpening up our games, and forum interaction. i'm curious to hear how your bodies held up physically during the event. there's a fitting on day 1, 27 holes on day 2, and 18 holes on day 3. that's a lot more golf swings than i usually make in a 72-hour period. did you find that you were physically exhausted? any tips on keeping energy levels up?

For me, I was literally SO amped most of the time, I'm pretty sure the adrenaline rush kept me going without issue. On top of that, we were dealing with cooler, wet weather so there was no issues with heat or hydration.
Would it help to be in great shape? Yes. I wish I'd been in my current physical condition in December last year, but it wasn't a hurdle. The shock and awe of the moment and the constant "I can't believe this" feelings were as good for me as any Red Bull or 5hr Energy I've ever had.
I don't think my energy level came down until the solo flight back home from Dallas and that was after a 6hr delay in the airport.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Question for Team THP members:

What are you currently working on, during your practice/play, to improve on before the event?

Especially over the next few weeks, the lion’s share of my work are going to be wedges and putter. I’d really like to have great confidence that no matter what, if I can get the ball to x yards away, then I’m money (as much as possible).

Only time I struggled a bit was in the afternoon when it was super hot and we were wearing all black and pants to boot. I think you will find that comfort stations have anything and EVERYTHING you need to keep energy levels up!

If you’re worried about keeping your energy level up, I’d recommend start finding out what snacks you need to eat that do the best for you. If you need to carb load, go for it. Protein? Rock it. Ice cream? Kinda weird bud but alright whatever, that sounds delicious. All those things are at comfort stations.

If you’re just worried about endurance, maybe play a bit more or have a few more range sessions than normal just to see how your body reacts. Easy enough stuff to do now so you can get your game plan down with plenty of time. There’s also just working out a bit if you feel you need it, maybe that gives you some extra energy.

Especially over the next few weeks, the lion’s share of my work are going to be wedges and putter. I’d really like to have great confidence that no matter what, if I can get the ball to x yards away, then I’m money (as much as possible).

tomcat, I think those things are pretty darn important. I would tell you as a higher handicapper, you may want to consider working with a teacher and really getting a repeatable swing dialed in. You are about to have the opportunity to work with the same fitters that fit their tour players. Play with people that help create the clubs. Everybody wants to play well, but in the end I can say the most important thing is to get as much out of it, as you want. To me (and maybe only me), I would at least want a very repeatable swing, to get that ball going and be able to best utilize the fitters.

Wedges and putting are such easy things to work on, because you can do it alone and the amount of movement is so minimal. The full swing takes the biggest leap and the Grandaddy motivation could really take you there. It's exciting.

I was perfectly fine. No physical issues at all. Honestly, the whole thing is so exciting I was too amped up to feel tired on the course. I think the guys were dragging on the last day of golf a little bit from going too deep at The Nest but I don’t regret that one bit. This is an experience and you do yourself a disservice by not taking in all that you can/want.

Have to say, Very excited for you 9 and the excitement/suspense builds with only 4 more spots to go. Who knows (besides JB I am guessing) what the next 4 contests will be. Will spots be awarded at any THP events? Will they be video based entries? Who knows, but its fun to wait and see.

Really enjoy the back and forth. I really does show what this event is all about.

If you’re just worried about endurance, maybe play a bit more or have a few more range sessions than normal just to see how your body reacts. Easy enough stuff to do now so you can get your game plan down with plenty of time. There’s also just working out a bit if you feel you need it, maybe that gives you some extra energy.

i made a post a bit back in this thread, but i used the grandaddy as motivation to start an exercise routine. i'm on my 14th consecutive week without letting any excuse get in the way. i don't want to bonk while i'm out there.

this past sunday was probably the most intense golf stuff i'd done yet. hour-long gapping session where i hit probably 100 balls. then a 2-hour practice session including a large bucket, short game work, and putting. then play 18 holes. i wasn't tired by the end of it, but i will say i could feel some fatigue the next day. i like the idea of more marathon days like that, particularly back-to-back marathon days.

tomcat, I think those things are pretty darn important. I would tell you as a higher handicapper, you may want to consider working with a teacher and really getting a repeatable swing dialed in. You are about to have the opportunity to work with the same fitters that fit their tour players. Play with people that help create the clubs. Everybody wants to play well, but in the end I can say the most important thing is to get as much out of it, as you want. To me (and maybe only me), I would at least want a very repeatable swing, to get that ball going and be able to best utilize the fitters.

Wedges and putting are such easy things to work on, because you can do it alone and the amount of movement is so minimal. The full swing takes the biggest leap and the Grandaddy motivation could really take you there. It's exciting.

Thanks for the suggestion, JB. I have previously worked with an instructor locally, and am definitely going to hook up with him for another set of lessons, hopefully in the next couple of weeks.

I really appreciate the suggestions that everyone has. For someone that hasn't been through a focused prep plan before, some of the most obvious things, may not be obvious to me at times. :)

Thanks for the suggestion, JB. I have previously worked with an instructor locally, and am definitely going to hook up with him for another set of lessons, hopefully in the next couple of weeks.

I really appreciate the suggestions that everyone has. For someone that hasn't been through a focused prep plan before, some of the most obvious things, may not be obvious to me at times. :)

Absolutely. My rule of thumb for the Grandaddy is a simple one. Forget about scoring, winning, etc when it comes to preparing.
Focus on the golf swing and if you are a higher capper, the repeatability of that swing. The rest will work out, but how often do you get a chance to have a fitting, clubs, etc by the same people that work with the tour players and build for tour players? Never. So the fit should be what matters and the only way to achieve that is to have some level of repeatability.

In trying to guess what I may be fit into, here's my first attempt:

Driver: Epic Flash 9* / Recoil ES440 or Helium -1" (I'd prefer The Attas, but it wasn't on the list)
FW: Epic Flash 3W / Helium
Hybrid: Epic Flash 4h 5h / Recoil
Irons: Rogue 5i-9i / Recoil ES760
Wedges: MD4 48*/10 / Recoil 110
MD4 52*/12 / Recoil 110
PM 56*/14 / Recoil 110
PM 60*/12 / Recoil 110
Putters: One of these....
EXO Stroke Lab Indy
EXO Stroke Lab Seven
TD Stroke Lab Indy
TD Stroke Lab Las Vegas

I really like the looks of the Apex irons, but fully realize that those are designed for much lower HC. I went back and listened to The Fitting Room podcast when AJ, Nate, and DNevs talked about Apex and Apex Pro and their suggestions, and even though I'm hoping my HC drops a decent amount before December, I also want to get into irons that will look and feel good, yet still have plenty of forgiveness.

I was good the entire time even being super hung over on the last day. Thing is, just have a good time and try not to focus on winning and your body won't argue with you. Normally I am sore after playing 27 holes in one day but I wasn't when we were out there for some reason. I think part of it I was just having such an amazing time I didn't think about it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

So the fit should be what matters and the only way to achieve that is to have some level of repeatability.

That's gold, Jerry! Gold!

For me it didn’t factor in at all. The adrenaline level was so high, and each moment you are being hit with something incredible. I was also in pretty decent shape coming in though. But, I’ve never before or after had 3 days like that where I was just as amped up and fresh at the end as I was at the beginning. It didn’t feel like a lot at all to me.

Now, right after the last hole, on the bus ride back, that’s where it all hit me. Mental and physical exhaustion.

Driver: Epic Flash 9* / Recoil ES440 or Helium -1" (I'd prefer The Attas, but it wasn't on the list)
MD4 52*/12 / Recoil 110
PM 56*/14 / Recoil 110
PM 60*/12 / Recoil 110
EXO Stroke Lab Indy
EXO Stroke Lab Seven
TD Stroke Lab Indy
TD Stroke Lab Las Vegas

I really like the looks of the Apex irons, but fully realize that those are designed for much lower HC. I went back and listened to The Fitting Room podcast when AJ, Nate, and DNevs talked about Apex and Apex Pro and their suggestions, and even though I'm hoping my HC drops a decent amount before December, I also want to get into irons that will look and feel good, yet still have plenty of forgiveness.

I think you'll be shocked how the regular Apex 19's will fit you. Easy to hit and as mentioned earlier, come in with a repeatable swing and these will shine for you over the Rogue's or any other GI iron you think you might like.

I think you'll be shocked how the regular Apex 19's will fit you. Easy to hit and as mentioned earlier, come in with a repeatable swing and these will shine for you over the Rogue's or any other GI iron you think you might like.

Good to know. I absolutely want to keep my options (and my mind) open, but would love it if they work well for me. Of course, who knows what options will be available then that aren't out there now.

i made a post a bit back in this thread, but i used the grandaddy as motivation to start an exercise routine. i'm on my 14th consecutive week without letting any excuse get in the way. i don't want to bonk while i'm out there.

this past sunday was probably the most intense golf stuff i'd done yet. hour-long gapping session where i hit probably 100 balls. then a 2-hour practice session including a large bucket, short game work, and putting. then play 18 holes. i wasn't tired by the end of it, but i will say i could feel some fatigue the next day. i like the idea of more marathon days like that, particularly back-to-back marathon days.

That’s awesome man. Stuff like that, you’ll be just fine. You’re there to have fun after all.

MD4 52*/12 / Recoil 110
PM 56*/14 / Recoil 110
PM 60*/12 / Recoil 110
EXO Stroke Lab Indy
EXO Stroke Lab Seven
TD Stroke Lab Indy
TD Stroke Lab Las Vegas

Iron wise, Rogue are old tech ;) . I would suspect the Apex would be a decent choice for you, but if you don't feel confident about those then there are the Big Bertha irons and the new epic forged/forged star.

Back