Tour Event 2019 Hero World Challenge

Reed cheating like a weekend guy in a scramble

That's just Reed being Reed. Hard to believe but for his reputation and prior history.

Look at that! Woodland all alone at top after it's all said and done on day 3! Let's hope Tiger can put something together for tomorrow. I wouldn't mind seeing him win in a playoff over Woodland and Thomas...

Just watched the Reed bunker play :unsure:. Very odd.

Two shot penalty. Should include a boot ? in the arse as well.

Reed is really easy to hate, almost like he is trying to be hated.

from what I saw, that is a DQ. Once you can say it is an accident even if it wasn't, twice? Come on. That is intentional.

He’s a liar and a POS ( not point of sale).

Just watched the Reed bunker play :unsure:. Very odd.

Turns out it was not in a bunker. It was one of those waste areas. I think after looking into it some, he can ground his club.. But still falls under the rule of improving your lie. See below link and quote.

Patrick Reed was at the center of a rules fiasco at the Hero World Challenge Friday after moving sand from behind his ball twice while playing the 11th hole at Albany.

While preparing for a shot from a waste bunker right of the fairway, Reed took his club back from his ball during multiple practice swings and moved sand from directly behind his ball twice. His ball sat in the middle of a depression, likely a footprint in the waste bunker.

The new rules introduced in January allow players to ground their clubs in bunkers, but one cannot move sand in front of or behind the golf ball. That meant Reed would incur a General Penalty (two strokes) under Rule 12-3. You can see Reed’s actions below.

Looks like he was penalized two strokes

Still not enough. Even if that is the penalty attached to this rule. It was obvious he was trying to cheat. That goes against everything I was ever taught about the game of golf. If he had any honor at all he would withdraw.

Last edited:
I read it online so it has to be true

Yeah, I read it, too, but 11 minutes ago when I posted that, the leaderboard on pgatour.com hadn't been updated. I'd like to hear how that played out and I can't wait to hear his excuse.

Still not enough. Even if that is the penalty attached to this rule. It was obvious he was trying to cheat. That goes against everything I was ever taught about the game of golf. If he had any honor at all he would withdraw.
There is no penalty for People You Dislike

Turns out it was not in a bunker. It was one of those waste areas. I think after looking into it some, he can ground his club.. But still falls under the rule of improving your lie. See below link and quote.

Patrick Reed was at the center of a rules fiasco at the Hero World Challenge Friday after moving sand from behind his ball twice while playing the 11th hole at Albany.

While preparing for a shot from a waste bunker right of the fairway, Reed took his club back from his ball during multiple practice swings and moved sand from directly behind his ball twice. His ball sat in the middle of a depression, likely a footprint in the waste bunker.

The new rules introduced in January allow players to ground their clubs in bunkers, but one cannot move sand in front of or behind the golf ball. That meant Reed would incur a General Penalty (two strokes) under Rule 12-3. You can see Reed’s actions below.

I just watched this in review on the Golf Channel. Clearly it was a violation of the rule. I can't know for sure if he knew he was doing that to improve his lie but it does not look good. And... his interview explanation was weak and his eyes were averting while answering... that in itself is pretty telling.

from what I saw, that is a DQ. Once you can say it is an accident even if it wasn't, twice? Come on. That is intentional.
He said that he did not see it from the top which was his vantage point, I'll take his word for it....

Back